Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I bit the bullet...all your fault! Lol

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

I bit the bullet...all your fault! Lol

Postby or6 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:29 am

:lol:

I just ordered a Gong Allvator 80.... quite excited about it. I have no idea yet when it's going to arrive, but that doesn't really matter.

I am going to ask the Gong people that very same question...if I want to use my Shinn Capri GT, where would I mount the foil?
IMG-20181014-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20181014-WA0002.jpeg
Apart from the pictures...what info do you need to try and answer this question? Exact measurements?

Thx all in advance!

Or6

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: I bit the bullet...all your fault!

Postby Foil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Flipping Wow!
that's a great deal you have got there, 399 euro for the whole lot,
I am a fan of Gong gear, their kit is great quality, I have a Gong med G10 front wing, which works brilliantly well on my Moses fuselage with a bit of dremmel work.
gong will tell you where to place the holes as they are very friendly guys and knowledgeable.
Good luck converting that board,
if your on a tight budget, you will make it work no doubt,
but look out for a cheap more suitable higher volume board for the first few months of learning.
also if you are thinking of using that front strap in the centre of the board then others on here who have tried that might offer advise as I have been told by 2 beginners who tried that, and they said it held them back as their weight distribution/stance was not helpful.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
GONG KiteFoil Allvator 80 : 399€
We make quality products. We are not "low cost".
We sell simply without an intermediary thanks to the internet : direct from shaper to surfer.

If we sold this Foil in a surfshop, it would cost 799€. (taking into account traditional margins that we should offer to distributers and stores)

faklord
Frequent Poster

Re: I bit the bullet...all your fault! Lol

Postby faklord » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:37 pm

Firstly I would question the suitability of your Shinn Capri for a 1st foil board.
I suspect it has quite a bit of flex?, is a bit narrow and it does have lots of sharp corners (which WILL attack you in the learning stages!).

However if you are dead set on this plan:
One of the 1st things I would does check your board will float ok with the weight of the foil. The Gong Allvator is pretty heavy (advertised weight 3.9kg, I doubt this includes any mounting hardware?)

You should be able to get a pretty good idea of where to place your foil by scaling up the photos of the Gong foil boards on their website.
I should assume you want the mast as far back as possible in the tracks. This is generally recommended for learning.
I have measured a gong top plate and the 'mast centre' can be anywhere from approx 6cm in front of the back of the track slots to 6cm behind the front of the track slots.
A rough scale up of the gong 4'6" gives the following (all measured from the back of the board):
Back of track slots: 21cm (giving 'mast centre' most rear position of 27cm)
Front of track slots: 46cm(giving 'mast centre' most forward position of 40cm)
Middle position of front foot: 85cm

I assume you'll want to use your existing front footstrap? In this case I would position the mast wrt to the footstrap, rather than the back of the board.
For the gong board, the distance from the middle position of the front foot to the most rearward 'mast centre' is 85cm-27cm = 58cm
So I would aim for the same on your board. Hopefully this will leave you with some board (20-40cm?) behind the 'mast centre' ?

Hope some of this makes sense?
If you decide to base the positioning on the above, I would very strongly recommend you check the figures for yourself.

Let us all knowhow it goes.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Foil, Faklord, thx for your replies!

I am not really deadset on using the Shinn...it's more that it's a directional, I've got it in the shed and it's been a disappointment so far....it's been gathering dust since I bought it.

It is indeed rather sharp, rails are thin etc. A bit scary, in combination with the foil, probably.

I have tried foiling only once, and that foil was mounted under a twintip like directional as well, but as a complete beginner (foilwise) I didn't notice a negative impact....

Maybe I'll give it a shot, if I have the idea the dimensions are right....and I can always buy a floatier board if I feel that will help a lot.

I'll keep you all posted....and any tip is welcome!

Regards, or6

or6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby or6 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Faklord, I am going to process your dimensions this week. A bit of a puzzle.

Thx man!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 am

I'm far from an expert, but I built my Frankenboard by mounting the foil onto a large padded surfboard so I could easily do touchdown gybes. I did not check on here for dimensions and got it wrong, placing the mast too close to the existing front straps for comfort, so moved it back. I just measured middle of front straps to middle of mast plate and it is 60 cm, which works well for me (almost 6ft tall and 190lbs).

or6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby or6 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:42 am

Thx Hugh. I'm slightly taller than you, but I'm at that same weight. That should be a good indication.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:33 pm

No way that board will work with a foil, I'd definitely look into something stiffer that isn't built to flex the way a board like that is.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:36 pm

That board looks all wrong to me for many reasons.
do yourself a favor and get a decent foilboard from Shinn or North or any other company- 135-145 cm long.
Shinn Jackson looks OK to me...

and even though the Slingshot foothooks invariably break- they are worth it to learn on before going strapless.
Ive broken 3 of them in 18 months...

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:13 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Shinn Jackson looks OK to me...
it looks ok, I owned one for a week, and the best thing about it is-
it looks ok.
there are much better boards than that.
ones that work well.

Return to “Hydrofoil”