A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Neil Pryde Glide Reports/Reviews?

Postby Slappysan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:42 pm

Anyone got their hands on an NP Glide foil yet? Very curious to see what they are like.

Interesting to note that their sizing seems like:
L is more like an XL
M is more like an L
S is more like an M

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Neil Pryde Glide Reports/Reviews?

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 pm

*Disclaimer-I sell these and others...

Slappysan,
I rode this foil at the dealer meeting in the Bahamas back in June. Prior to that, I'd only ridden the Double Agent a couple of times, but mostly the Hoverglide. I found it to be MUCH easier to get up on and super stable. It was the first time that I was able to get up and just feel completely at ease. I liked it so much that I tried to buy the demo right there on the spot (I knew they wouldn't be available until October), though it was the only one they had, so I couldn't. :nono: :wink:

To ensure I could get some foiling in over the summer, I got a Slingshot FSurf with the small Infinity Surf wing. I've been out on that quite a lot and it is also super stable and easy to ride. I'm hoping to get a chance to ride them both back to back shortly to have some sort of comparison, but I can tell you that I really liked the Neil Pryde Glide Surf. In fact so much so that I also bought one and can't wait to get out on it! :)

SENDIT!

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:47 pm

I haven't ridden this foil but my friend demo'ed one about 3 weeks ago. He is a beginner/intermediate foiler and currently rides a Zeeko Carver wing. He really liked the foil as well and was comfortable on it almost from the get go. Plenty of lift and stable were his comments. He caught his first waves on a foil that day as well which he was very happy about. It was the best I've seen him foiling. He will be buying one he thinks.

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: 14.5 A Flite
8/5 A Roam
18/12 soul 11/9 av8
15/9 s3
ha725/195
ML B3

Postby DAnderson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:07 pm

The takeoff & cruising speed is very slow, almost stationary.
Wing is quite floaty, while it was mounted on a cabrinha board, it sat sideways in the water.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:19 pm

I have the Medium 75cm front wing. very fun behind a 9m in light wind very fun for cruising and carving in small waves. Very fun. It is surprisingly light, I think the whole set up weighs less than 9 pounds. I have also used behind a boat and works great at pumping, was able to pump a few 100 yards on and ride a small dingy boat wake. I do think I will eventually pick up a small front wing to use for kiting as the medium has a lot of lift.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:58 pm

There is a good detailed shop description by Tucker here

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2019-nei ... -foil-set/

Picking my size L NP Glide next week.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:26 pm

Check out these two reviews on the glide surf:

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:17 pm

I picked up the L a few weeks ago but can't ride until the new year.

I'm also planning on adding either the S or the M wing and a 70 cm mast. I was leaning towards the S wing but the above video has me thinking the M wing might be the better call now.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:12 am

I bought the NP Glide large for sup foiling based on a recommendation from a friend and it's great for that.

I really like it for kiting in waves too Infact my Moses Onda wings 633 683 and 873 have been staying in the truck since I got this foil. This is a pure surf foil it really catches waves stays in the pocket maintains lift in turns and turns really well and pumps great. To my surprise this foil doesn't feel draggy despite the thick front wing profile it rocks upwind with good acceleration and glide. It's super stable which I attribute to the front wing profile and the very stiff wide mast but also the V tail stabilizer (the large model comes with 2 sizes which BTW fit and work nicely on the Moses Onda fuselage if you have one of those)

The Glide is also a great value for a high quality product with pre preg carbon wings that are tough and a very stiff and wide mast that doesn't shake or wobble . Excellent quality aluminum and anodization and titanium coated screw are a nice touch.

The only down side is with the large wing it weighs 2lb more than Moses onda so if you're jumping thats a consideration. it still floats on its side for easy waterstarts. give it a try if you can. FYi the 60cm mast measures close to 70cm with the plate mount i cant tell a height differe ce whem it sits next to the Moses Onda 71
Attachments
Screenshot_20181210-190714_Rylo.jpg
Resized_20181207_160211_6312.jpeg
Resized_20181207_154337_8908.jpeg
20181211_231739.jpg
Last edited by airsurfer on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author airsurfer for the post:
Huib (Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 am

I bought the NP Glide large for sup foiling based on a recommendation from a friend and it's great for that.

I really like it for kiting in waves too Infact my Moses Onda wings 633 683 and 873 have been staying in the truck since I got this foil. This is a pure surf foil it really catches waves stays in the pocket maintains lift in turns and turns really well and pumps great. To my surprise this foil doesn't feel draggy despite the thick front wing profile it rocks upwind with good acceleration and glide. It's super stable which I attribute to the front wing profile and the very stiff wide mast but also the V tail stabilizer (the large model comes with 2 sizes which BTW fit and work nicely on the Moses Onda fuselage if you have one of those)

The Glide is also a great value for a high quality product with pre preg carbon wings that are tough and a very stiff and wide mast that doesn't shake or wobble . Excellent quality aluminum and anodization and titanium coated screw are a nice touch.

The only down side is with the large wing it weighs 2lb more than Moses onda so if you're jumping thats a consideration. it still floats on its side for easy waterstarts. give it a try if you can

Return to “Hydrofoil”