Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best "FreeRace" Foil Kite?

Postby Yodarocket31 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:00 pm

What is your recommendation for a great "FreeRace" foil kite? I am thinking of a 2-kite quiver, 11m and 15m. More wind than that and I'll probably stick to my LEI.

I am not on the racing scene, so I don't necessarily need a race-only kite. I have both a race foil and a freeride foil, and I simply enjoy going fast from Point A to Point B, jibing/tacking (able to foil through both), and pushing my angles, just for fun.

I wonder if a Freeride foil kite like the Hyperlink or Soul will leave me wanting more...

Brand debates aside, what would you suggest?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Best "FreeRace" Foil Kite?

Postby cwood » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 pm

I love my Sonic2's in those size ranges but playing more with Souls. They pretty do most of all things better....haven't traded my Sonics yet but its tempting.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:25 pm

Sonic 2 has better upwind than the Soul but just about everything else goes towards the Soul. Honestly though you could get a Soul 12m and mess with line lengths and cover both sizes pretty easily and will be an easier foil to learn on.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Yodarocket31 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:00 pm
What is your recommendation for a great "FreeRace" foil kite? I am thinking of a 2-kite quiver, 11m and 15m. More wind than that and I'll probably stick to my LEI.

I am not on the racing scene, so I don't necessarily need a race-only kite. I have both a race foil and a freeride foil, and I simply enjoy going fast from Point A to Point B, jibing/tacking (able to foil through both), and pushing my angles, just for fun.

I wonder if a Freeride foil kite like the Hyperlink or Soul will leave me wanting more...

There will not be any more questions what is the best freerace foil kite after you try Ozone Chrono V3 Ultralight. The only downside is the price.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:52 pm

Lecca-Lecca, no question. I'd start with an 11m and then depending on when that kite didn't work, either get a 15 or the smaller one, I think it's an 8.5m

Easy, fast enough, great boost, and cheaper than a comparably sized inflatable.

I love Flysurfers and have mucho respect for Ozone, but $1k for an 11m foil kite that's almost as light as a top of the line race kite? Pssshhhh....easy choice.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:48 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:43 pm
Yodarocket31 wrote:

There will not be any more questions what is the best freerace foil kite after you try Ozone Chrono V3 Ultralight. The only downside is the price.
and a deflate zipper that will eventually freeze up, an nonadjustable bridal that will eventually shrink, and stitching which will collect sand. But sure if you are just going to use it for a season, it's not bad :roll:

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:00 am

Yodarocket31 wrote:
What is your recommendation for a great "FreeRace" foil kite?
Hi Yodarocket31,
i think "great" could be to unspecific to get more than the typical fan boy answers about anybodys own most loved foil kite and brand.
As there are many great freerace foil kites out there, i think to get more specific you have to clarify if you mean:
"best price to value", "highest VMGs", "best handling for somebody without foil kite experience", etc.

- Still loving my Sonics, I would not recommend them for anybody coming from tubes and not having experience with high AR foil kites in the water out of the perfect relaunch position.
- The lecca-lecca is for sure one of the best freeride-freerace kite by price to value and also one of best in relaunch and low wind stablility, but doesn't reach depower and range of the big brands, but for sure still better than many tubes here.
- Chrono v3, never tried, but as at least v1 was already leading the top and so must be very good and for sure also the relaunch can't be to bad. Just price to value is the question and I personaly don't like the "bridle in bad shape? Just buy a new one"-Idea
- Soul is a real nice overall kite and I doupt it will personally limit anybody here in terms of speed, vmg or jumping. But I personaly didn't like the concept as not fitting so well to my own style as the sonics ...

More you may find out in similar discussion in the kitefoil section, as this one:
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 2#p1032612

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Currently the Sonic 2 is the best freeride kite, once you have lots of experience with it. Light bar pressure, responsive and like to move. That being said, not really the best for a first time foil kite purchase. You are probably looking for a 12m Soul, sits back a little further into the wind window, easy to launch and relaunch. It is just a more user friendly kite but you will get more bar pressure and it is not as fast and sublime.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:27 pm

sedluk wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 pm
Currently the Sonic 2 is the best freeride kite, once you have lots of experience with it. Light bar pressure, responsive and like to move. That being said, not really the best for a first time foil kite purchase. You are probably looking for a 12m Soul, sits back a little further into the wind window, easy to launch and relaunch. It is just a more user friendly kite but you will get more bar pressure and it is not as fast and sublime.
Very good summary. I do find the soul is easier to keep track of without looking due to the bar feedback. Biggest thing is that boosting seems as good or better and relaunch is rediculous. My sonic R starts filling almost instantly and is a bit like tissue on the water. Sonic 2 still has high AR like problems when jumbled on the water. Doesn't drink as fast but you gotta sort out fast. Souls just take care of themselves. I've dragged one onto the beach that had been on the water for 40 mins. Almost zero water inside.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Yodarocket31 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:00 am
Yodarocket31 wrote:
What is your recommendation for a great "FreeRace" foil kite?
- Still loving my Sonics, I would not recommend them for anybody coming from tubes and not having experience with high AR foil kites in the water out of the perfect relaunch position.
It sounds like the Sonic2 is a good Freerace option, except for the discouraging caveat about needing experience to fly them.

But, how does one get experience with high AR foil kites without actually flying them???

Return to “Hydrofoil”