neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

boards

Postby neilhapgood » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 am

Hi all,

I am currently riding a moses T40 with their standard fluente set up, just free riding with foothooks at the front, pumping along on open swell but no open face wave riding, can't gybe and more than happy to drop into the water to turn around!

However wondering what the benefits are of a low volume board with twin tip type construction? Are there any benefits or once up and riding does it not really matter what you are on?

Also I am looking to buy a moses 633, I know you can shim this to work on the T40 but if I do get another board thinking I might as well get one with tracks or multiple holes to prevent shimming, anyone know how much range you need in the track to go from the fluente to 633?

And finally.....! Any thoughts on crazyfly chill?

as always thanks all,

best

Neil

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: boards

Postby cwood » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:21 pm

I'm sure you will get lots of opinions:

I prefer some volume on a board and very stiff construction so that board is at one with the mast.... The plank styles feel flexy to me when doing aggressive things like boosting. I also find it strange when the plank types are nearly submerged when not being ridden. If you push limits of light wind and foil kites its nice to have a platform to self rescue kite onto. Not sure of any advantage other than price and durability....and extreme portability if you go with a very small one.

Re the 633 difference. Yes you can shim the mast to fuse union to even things out pretty cleanly vs shimming the stabilizer which I think changes the dynamics of smooth flow a bit. If you are not going to shim then you need 6-8cm of travel to get weight (Center of gravity) forward from normal placement on the t40.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:16 pm

People say that it’s easier to boardstart strapless with thinner, more submerged board edge as it bites water better.

For 633 I moved mast back by 30mm and didn’t shim the stabilizer

Tom Tom
Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Also on the T40 and getting a 633. Seriously thinking about adding a second set of holes 2" back from the current ones. Have tried to get some input on what goes on in the T40 in the area (stringers, reinforcements etc.) but have not been able to get any good info. Will try and send a question in directly to Moses and see what that results in. The new T22 they have posted pictures of clearly has a second set oh mast holes.

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5C4A03D0

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:41 pm

Tom Tom wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm
Also on the T40 and getting a 633. Seriously thinking about adding a second set of holes 2" back from the current ones. Have tried to get some input on what goes on in the T40 in the area (stringers, reinforcements etc.) but have not been able to get any good info. Will try and send a question in directly to Moses and see what that results in. The new T22 they have posted pictures of clearly has a second set oh mast holes.

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5C4A03D0
I have seen the inside of my old Moses T60 which had custom tracks fitted.
Just drilling holes will not work, as its just foam between the top and bottom skin,
where the original holes are there are x4 - "cotton reel" style pillars pre-drilled for the bolts, the ones in mine were made of fibreglass and of course very stiff and strong, fitting between the top skin and bottom skin, they are around 25 mm in diameter,
the foam in that area is open cell foam so drilling straight through would be a problem, no compression stiffness and the water would just enter the board and kill it.
having tracks fitted by a pro would cost in the region of £200. maybe a bit less.
my converted board went to a guy who wanted the board for his 633 Onda wing which I sold to him two weeks before he asked for the board.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:10 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 am
Hi all,

I am currently riding a moses T40 with their standard fluente set up, just free riding with foothooks at the front, pumping along on open swell but no open face wave riding, can't gybe and more than happy to drop into the water to turn around!

However wondering what the benefits are of a low volume board with twin tip type construction? Are there any benefits or once up and riding does it not really matter what you are on?

Snip...

best

Neil

Hi Neil

The thin smaller board are a lot easier to handle in breaking waves, when you have to drag through the crests :thumb:

The T40 is an awesome board IMO, really light and still some area and volume, but feels a lot smaller than it is.

Almost the perfect allround and lightwind board.

The shorter boards have less swingweight, but as the T40 is quite light, it is IMO mostly mentally the difference is big.

Using a bigger but thinner board (usually never lighter of course), will as said be a tad easier to waterstart strapless when a beginner.
But dont use this information for anything, as when a beginner you use strap(s) anyways, and when learned even the biggest bulkiest thickest board is easy to waterstart strapless :rollgrin:

Some like thin boards when riding on the surface, others dont feel the difference, so not really an issue but a personal thing and you will know yourself later, not easy for us to recommend as we are all different.

The thicker boards, same "size", if that is your question, has only advantages IMO.
They are lighter and stiffer and you can ride/hump/start in less wind.
And no disadvantages once up and riding.

BUT, if you feel they are bulky, it is not for you, or if you have to penetrate breaking waves dragging out.

If you dont, go with the thicker board as in every aspect better.

8) Peter

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:43 pm

Call me cynical or a naysayer, but I don't see that nuances in foil board design make all that much difference (except racing maybe). Once you are competent, you spend 95% of a session floating above the surface ... so for the vast majority of its use, the board serves only as a platform over the mast.

But having gone from DIY surfboards with hooks to a wake skate strapless, I have observed some pros and cons:

Small board: less swing weight is noticable, feels really light and alive underfoot. No straps means finding natural foot position (and it turns out my front hook was an inch or 2 too far back). Can be hard to water start in light wind (board may be under water). Risk of losing board if a heavy foil (only nose sticks out). Doesn't float down wind on wipeouts. No flotation aid if the wind dies.

Big board: opposite. Easy water starting, easy on touch downs. If you lose board, can just wait til it blows back to you. If wind dies, just paddle it in. But may be a bit of a pig while foiling, moving around all that extra volume.

Return to “Hydrofoil”