Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ringkøbing
Favorite Beaches: Hvide Sande
Style: Foiling
Gear: Worn
Brand Affiliation: DIY

Big racefoil?

Postby bohme » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:55 pm

I have now foiled for almost 4 seasons. The first 3 seasons I used racefoils below 600cm2, and got to a level where I just managed foiling gybes and tacks.
This season I switched to low aspect 1100cm2 thick wave foil. It is so much easier, but I miss the upwind speed on flat water.

I am considering making a big, high aspect, front wing . 850cm2, 75cm wide.
If I make it out of solid carbon it should be quite stiff.
I would prefer to buy it, but I cant find one.

Will this give me the fast and easy cruising I am looking for?

Jacob

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Re: Big racefoil?

Postby WH Lithuania » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:00 pm

bohme wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:55 pm
I have now foiled for almost 4 seasons. The first 3 seasons I used racefoils below 600cm2, and got to a level where I just managed foiling gybes and tacks.
This season I switched to low aspect 1100cm2 thick wave foil. It is so much easier, but I miss the upwind speed on flat water.

Jacob
It looks like the trend is towards bigger race wings. Moses new race foil will have a bigger front wing. Meanwhile, you can try windsurfing course race wings as they are definitely much bigger.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Big racefoil?

Postby Foil » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:28 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:00 pm
bohme wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Jacob
It looks like the trend is towards bigger race wings. Moses new race foil will have a bigger front wing. Meanwhile, you can try windsurfing course race wings as they are definitely much bigger.
Today at flag beach the water was flatter than it has been for the last 2 weeks so after warming up on the 633 onda wave wing and 10 Mtr kite, the Moses 637 race foil set was screwed in place and my 12mtr was used on water so glossy, so empty!
After 48 kites the day before there was only me out fully powered up over miles of warm blue sea, even Gunnar was missing todays offering, which was odd.
4 hours later and I need a celebration drink or two, that Moses race wing set is awesome, so stable at speed, fly's level without rising out of the water over the sea swell, which is a great feeling after having to correct my height so often on the wave wing which as expected does get pushed high when flying over the swells at Flag.
Yes, adjusting to the extra speed takes a short while to get used to as it's quite alarming at first, but very quickly you are flying high upwind at warp speed, and releasing the angle and going fast off wind stops you from blinking as the speed is breath taking.
So so different than the 633 onda, but the buzz I get from the speed and upwind angle when leaning fully back fully powered up is what I dream about after too many sessions on my wave wing.

Return to “Hydrofoil”