B19 ELS
Rare Poster
Gear: Surfboard, twin tip, getting some foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Moon on a stick?

Postby B19 ELS » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Thinking that I want a new surfboard that I can surf, kitesurf, and attach a hydrofoil to when needed into a tuttle box on the board which I would have to router out.

Does anyone do this, or am I wanting the moon on a stick?

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Re: Moon on a stick?

Postby or6 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm

It's pretty common, though as a rule it's two Futures Fin Boxes, and not a Tuttle Box. Why, I don't know. Check the Hydrofoil Builders forum for more info.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:24 pm

I believe a great surfboard is light and has proper shape, a good kitesurfboard should be rather strong and a good foilboard should be tiny and thin.
Trying to merge these three features into one would get you something rideable, but it’s going to suck if you expect more than mediocre/amateurish result.

People do this but it will be as good as if you made a moon on a stick.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 pm

You used to see a lot more converted surfboards than you do now. I started on one. It's ok for the early stages but not much past that. Pretty easy to see foil boards trending to smaller and smaller boards that look nothing like surfboards anymore.

Foiling is its own beast. You can do it any way you like, but anything other than treating it like the alien it is with its own alien specific gear is a significant compromise.

It need not be super expensive or difficult, but it must be its own thing. The only boards that can really make a truly decent foil board and double as something else are certain skims and skates. No way I could foil on something thats long enough to work as a surfboard.

Get yourself a great surfboard and a tiny foil board.....

It just is.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:41 pm

B19 ELS wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:36 pm
Thinking that I want a new surfboard that I can surf, kitesurf, and attach a hydrofoil to when needed into a tuttle box on the board which I would have to router out.

I can not see any reason why it would not work, quite well indeed :D

Not perfect as if it was each their own - but as there are good kitesurf waveboards/hydrofoil universals now, it is just a matter of finding one that you find works for surfing too, depending on your skill :naughty:

I assume it is for travel purpose, as otherwise it doesnt make much sense IMO :roll:

8) PF

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:38 am

or6 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm
it's two Futures Fin Boxes, and not a Tuttle Box. Why, I don't know. Check the Hydrofoil Builders forum for more info.
I'm assuming you mean to say two US boxes 90 mm apart.

The reason being of course so that you can tune the balance point (which only really matters if you ride straps).

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:45 am

A guy I know had a kite construction Tomo Vanguard altered to include a Tuttle box and deck reinforcements for this exact purpose.

I tried it out as a SB and it was way way way too heavy for my liking. It still carves nice, but forget about any kind of air on it:
https://youtu.be/FdfJD28w6UU?t=309

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:54 am

I punched through 4 holes in my BWS drifter kite surfboard for a single board travel combo. It's a little bigger than I'd prefer for my foil, but works fine. Bonus is the warm water jets tickling my feet while kite surfing. ;-)

Similar to Slappy's buddy, I picked up a tomo vanguard kite board with the intention of a 4 in 1 hybrid: kite surf, foil, surf, surf foil. I figure it's just about the smallest board that can float me and (just barely) be able to paddle it into a wave. I want to add some mast tracks, though I am waiting to see how the SUP foiling goes first, then hopefully borrowing a surf foil to see if I like it, before committing.

Agree with comments above though too: any time you create a hybrid board, you are chasing the best of both worlds, but possibly gaining the worst of both. EG "fun shape" surfboards that are too big to turn like a shortboard but also don't ride like a longboard. From the cup half empty perspective, my vanguard hybrid would be bigger than I'd like for a kite board, bigger than I'd like for a foil board, smaller than I'd like for a surfboard, and not the ideal shape for surf foil (want it short, wide, thick). But if I can't be bringing 4 boards with me, as a single travel board it buys me lots of options! The tradeoff is getting the minimum of what you need in order to pursue maximum fun opportunities. Get that moon on a stick, then take a big bite!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:23 am

B19 ELS wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Short answer, of course you can. You can do anything you want. You just have to pay for it or do it yourself ... and live with the result.

The real question is, why do you want to do it? What result are you expecting to get? Depending on how you implement the various components you're going to end up with a compromise. There's way to reduce some of the compromise (inserts instead of tuttle). Other compromises cannot be avoided (foilboard shape is generally not compatible with surfboard shape). So what do you want to end up with?

B19 ELS
Rare Poster
Gear: Surfboard, twin tip, getting some foils
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby B19 ELS » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:32 am

I know they would be a Jack of all trades and master of none.

Travel board is where I like to think about exploring. Flight baggage sizes are getting smaller and more expensive. Lots of budget and 'normal' airlines don't take surfboards as they break.

Some sort of split board foil with some big wings (1500 for cruising) and all to put in a bag for carry on luggage is where I want be personally.

Return to “Hydrofoil”