Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone working on frontrolls?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Anyone working on frontrolls?

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:55 am

I started working on frontrolls again this evening decently powered on the 12m...failed 20 times and almost did my first frontroll kiteloops lol...I have loose straps, but I don't think that is my issue and I don't want a crutch. I can land frontrolls in all shapes and forms all day long on a twintip, but when I try to start frontolls with my hydro I come out of the straps. The weird thing is sometimes when jumping big normally I go into an unintended frontroll and typically embrace it but land backwards and keep the kite at 12 so I don't get worked. I tried to work thru this a while back with a hard muay thai kick meaning lifting the lead leg and pushing off the back leg but it never felt smooth although it help a little and I landed a few of them. I'm really wanting to develop a seamless frontroll spin like Adam Withington, but I can't get the initial rotation without coming outta the straps. This is the exact type of frontroll I'm looking for : https://youtu.be/5gfFAtcRGaQ?t=69 Anyone worked thru this or is nailing frontrolls? If you watch that link over and over I can't figure out where he is getting the rotation from. :roll:

https://youtu.be/5gfFAtcRGaQ?t=69

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Anyone working on frontrolls?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:33 pm

No responses yet - I think many are not sure what you are asking?

Are you solely asking about how to get momentum for double or triple frontroll boardoffs?
As in the video, he is not doing any clean frontrolls at all, straight jumps or boardoff frontrolls, usually double :naughty:

Really rare I ride with straps, but when I do, I found it really easy to make frontrolls, no difference at all from doing them on a waveboard.

And I am definitely no freestyler in any way :o

You take off the same way as when no roll, but prepare so getting ready to tuck yourself into the rotation, and as soon as your wing has left the water, you start the rotation with your head if you want to get several rolls or if you want to rotate fully in low height.

Maybe you try too hard, so you, without knowing, as if you try to rotate before leaving the water - then you will slide out of the straps :x

8) PF

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:52 pm

The frontroll was my favorite move when I rode twin tips and directionals. I have tried a few frontrolls with my hydrofoil and they work but they are risky. When you come in for a landing you are on top of your gear and if things go wrong you are in trouble.. you are either going to land on your gear or get stuck in your footstraps. The backroll doesn't seem to have these risks and I have never had an issue even when landing badly. So for me I stick with straight jumps and backrolls on my hydrofoil.

:-) CG

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:08 am

Yeah they fun landed a couple didn’t remain up on foil next season..

Return to “Hydrofoil”