Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mast length....?

Postby slowboat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:32 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:44 pm

What do people generally think is the ideal foil depth to get the most out of a wave?
Important question....I have been wondering but don't know the answer

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:40 pm

I’ve been enjoying my 100 cm mast for wave riding. Im still riding low but feel there is a better margin for error to rise without ventilating. But I broke a board after slamming into a sand bar right where the wave was forming up at low tide. I suppose I’m riding with the foil 50-70 cm deep and can definitely surf the energy of our small wind swell. So my only reason to contemplate a shorter mast is avoiding the bottom.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:31 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:40 pm
I’ve been enjoying my 100 cm mast for wave riding. Im still riding low but feel there is a better margin for error to rise without ventilating. But I broke a board after slamming into a sand bar right where the wave was forming up at low tide. I suppose I’m riding with the foil 50-70 cm deep and can definitely surf the energy of our small wind swell. So my only reason to contemplate a shorter mast is avoiding the bottom.

Very true, except that with a longer mast you also ride higher, when a bit more experienced, so you wont hit the bottom more often, not even in really small waves :D

The only downside, but a luxury thing, is you have to drag out a bit longer WHEN you have crashed, as you can not start on the low sand banks.

But once up, you can surf and play in the waves without risk of ventilating, so IMO the 90-100 cm masts are always better in waves, no matter what size of waves, or water depth :thumb:

Shorter, I find is for hydrofoil schools and the rare spots where it is only 80 cm deep all over (we dont have any spots like that), or marginal onshore winds of course.

Some like shorter masts, is that right?
Curious as to why, because maybe you can turn a tad faster, as long as you dont lean too far into the turn, and if you are really experienced so you can ride at a very precise height ALWAYS...

Maybe some, as said before, dont mind if they touch down ever so slightly now and then, just like SUP foilers - I simply HATE that :(

Amazed how different opinions and likings we all got about this very topic, thus important to share experiences I think :rollgrin:

8) PF

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:54 pm

After going progressively shorter over the last couple years, Drexler is moving back up to 32 inch from 27.5

Return to “Hydrofoil”