Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nash Trip as budget friendly lightwind option..

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
freotilo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: woodmans point fremantle Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Lancelin wa
Style: mostly surf and hydrofoil strapless
Gear: Rrd religion 7m f one bandit 9m
Brand Affiliation: None

Nash Trip as budget friendly lightwind option..

Postby freotilo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:38 pm

hey guys im on a tight budget and can't afford a food foil kite yet but found a 2015 naish trip 10qm strut less that I hope can get me down foiling with long lines on a ss space skate to about 8 knots ..

im about 80 kg and pretty good kite flying and foiling skills down to about 10 knots with a 9m bandit on long lines but wat to push it down a little and probably sell the bandit if it works out ..

any experiences with the kite u guys can share ..?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Nash Trip as budget friendly lightwind option..

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:58 pm

No experience with the Trip, no.

But I doubt you can go lower than with your Bandit :-?

It might be lighter and be easier to keep flying in sub 10 knots indeed, but it would (probably) not have more power, maybe less in fact, so if you can ride in 10 knots with your bandit, I can not see you go lower with the Trip.

But if you dont use the 10 m2 kite for other boards and in higher wind, you could make the switch indeed - but if using the 10 for TT or waveboards or when more powered for jumping, it might be a bad idea :roll:

8) PF

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:40 pm

I do not know about Trip but their one-strut Boxer is fantastic both for foiling and for general riding. Light and quick-turning, easy to generate power in light wind.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:54 pm

I still have two Naish Trips 2015 (8 and 10), and I owned a Trip 10 2013. Overall this kite excels in marginal conditions and remains one of the best for foil boarding. I made this video years ago when I bought my first Trip. At that time I wasn't a kite foiler yet, but now I am and I can easily go out with my Trip 10 in 7/8 Knots (MHL Lift Wave). My weight is 76 Kg.. In the pic below you can see the Trip 10 during a session I had last year in Kanaha (Maui) in very marginal conditions.

Cheers

Carlo
Attachments
vlcsnap-2017-11-18-08h00m50s686.jpg

neptune262
Rare Poster
Style: Relaxed and fun - Wave and big air
Gear: Peter Lynn ARCs, Crazy Fly Sculp, Naish Trip, Nobile NHP TT and Skim, Litewave surfboard, Litewave Vision and Wing, Naish Hover 130 Foil, Cabrinha VMG Race board
Brand Affiliation: None - whatever works for me!
Has thanked: 0

Postby neptune262 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:23 pm

I am still using my 10m Trip from 2013 - can get going in 8kts no problem on foil. 10kts plus on skimboard, Top end range maxing out at 22kts on a TT. Love the Trip and find it a shame they stopped making it. Kite will stay in the air at 7kts, anything less than that you need to keep it working a little. My friends on the beach call it a "magic" kite, as I am out in almost any wind with it. I find it does generate power no issues and is quick and easy to work if you are pushing the low end.

The 2015 has the heavier valve than the 2013 set up. I also have that version 12m Trip with the all in one valve, but it didn't gain any more low wind, only more power at the 8 k-10ts and a lower top end.

I would like to get my hands on an 8m Trip in a sale at some point, as I would like to see what the top end is. Haiku (Carlo) - any experience on that??

My present most used kites are the Trip10 and 7m three strut.

If the 10m Trip is cheap, then my recommendation is definitely buy it!
Last edited by neptune262 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:21 am

Holy shit Carlo, that is glassy.

I think the Boxer retains a lot of the great qualities of the Trip.

Trip is a great light wind kite, but I never tried it in 10 knots.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Neptune. With the Trip 8 I had a couple of foil session in 14/24 Knots gusty side on wind, without any problems. I haven't explored the real upper end yet because I also ride with other kites (Flysurfer Soul, Sonic 2 and Stoke). Nevertheless for pure foiling the Trip is still one of my favourite kite.

Hi Tautologies. My brother has a quiver of Naish Boxers; I tried them all and….yes they retain some qualities of the Trip, but the Overall feeling is quite different. Sometimes relaunching the Boxer is way easier. Both the Trip and the Boxer are great kite to ride in marginal conditions with a foil board.

Cheers

Carlo

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Back to the interesting question: Do the Trip have more power/grunt than the Bandit, both in 10 m2?

As said, you will get a lighter kite that can hang easier when sub 10 knots, but you might not get a kite where you can ride in less wind than your bandit - maybe just the opposite :roll:

Noone has answered that question yet...

But the Trip will be much better to handle in wind just under 10 knots, doesnt drop as easy and will feel "light" :D

Personally I must say, 9-10 m2 kites most often works well with our "normal" kites for hydrofoiling, as used from 9 knots and up where they work just fine, unless it is a really heavy freestyle kite of course :-?

But in sizes 11 to 13 m2 our "normal" kites are useless for foiling with typical wings, so go strutless or 1 strut or superlight in these, which are the sizes used by most riders when just under 10 knots.

--------------------------

Oh - I just saw now, the Space Skate H4 is whopping 1500 cm2 - then I take all I said above back, and think you should go with the 10 m2 Naish Trip, should be no problem at all in 8 knots, IF you can waterstart that is, can be the tricky hurdle left in low summerwinds, but once up it should work perfect with that size wing and you need a lighter kite than the Bandit now :thumb:

8) PF

neptune262
Rare Poster
Style: Relaxed and fun - Wave and big air
Gear: Peter Lynn ARCs, Crazy Fly Sculp, Naish Trip, Nobile NHP TT and Skim, Litewave surfboard, Litewave Vision and Wing, Naish Hover 130 Foil, Cabrinha VMG Race board
Brand Affiliation: None - whatever works for me!
Has thanked: 0

Postby neptune262 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:55 am

PF - to directly answer your question, yes I find my 10m Trip has more power than a normal 10m strutted kite - same as a 12m or bigger, as I used to ride these, imho.

I would be out on my 10mTrip with a TT whilst others were on 12m and 14m kites on TT also.

freotilo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: woodmans point fremantle Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Lancelin wa
Style: mostly surf and hydrofoil strapless
Gear: Rrd religion 7m f one bandit 9m

Postby freotilo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:53 pm

cheers for the input guys ill give the guy a call and see what we can do and let you know how I went sounds like a good option for 350 ausd ..

Return to “Hydrofoil”