Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Fone mirage 1000 vs Moses 633

Postby windmaker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:35 am

TomW wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:06 pm
Advantage of Moses is the screws can be bought off the shelf from several suppliers. Very simple and low tech system, with backwards compatibility. Personally, I don't disassemble my foil to put it in my van, only for travelling...
What an argument :D ! Sure, the more small screws the more you are likely to loose them, a pain especially with some brands using metric and others imperial and it has to be counter sunk stainless steel, but like with any foil just leave the screws on the foil, with or without the wings fitted, and you are gold!

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:26 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:37 pm
TomW wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:27 pm
The entire F-one mechanical solution is a nightmare. ...
I have to disagree...IMO its brilliant!
As an additional info. Fone have a complete new plug and play system for 2019.
Also heard that story about rubber hammer+fone, but for sure the old version.

The basic problem I see which does not hit Fone alone, but nearly all manufacturer ... but on the end pretty much Fone:

In respect to compatibility a few years ago a conection system designed was designed, when people were happy to ride straight and wings have been small with spans, just for kiting under 60 cm. And that is what the conection was designed, maybe calculated, but at least was tested for.

Today it is normal to use wings with spans over 60 cm and there are a lot more people riding on a high level, hard on the edge, fast, jumping ... some times in combination with big wings.

Till now with my 63 kg I slightly cracked (repairable with effort) 3 foils: one old carbon Zeeko Makaira and two times old Levitaz.
Now I start using GONG, but not started jumping yet.
I think for me latest reinforced Levitaz will be stable till their biggest wings with about 63 cm span by using a clammed steel to carbon conection of 24 mm widness and 60 mm of length.
GONG uses in his latest design a non conical, but apart from that similar construction as Fone for kitefoil with flat areas 4 times 18 mm widness and 90 mm of length.

I also like the basic idea from fone of one screw on the nose, where it doesn't disturb, also a lot.

My point is, even if Fone switched to stronger material, the widness of the inner flat areas in the conection, that can transport torsional load looks just very tiny (any data?) to an engineer, also if I haven't calculated nothing, but the physical law of lever just does not know any mercy at that point. :wink:

Is there anybody who is jumping a lot with fone and has a video to show what this means.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Hello Sergio,

Im not jumping with my foil, but have run a ground with speed as my home spot is a shallow lake (sand)
I ride 80% of my time on the 1000cm2 front wing, and so far no show of stress from high speed impacts.
Also comes apart nice and easy.

What you mentioned about the force on the larger wings at the connection point, i think this could be the reason why Fone is attending the problem by permanent connection on the surf foil version. (see photo)
47446278_1149397371886088_5674420124715581440_n.jpg
cheers

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:09 am

Never used a rubber mallet to dismantle F-one wings, that's GoFoil which uses a similar system and are delivered with a mallet.

As for strength bigger wings were not designed with jumping in mind as manufacturers recommend smaller wings for jumping as they are less likely to break. The different design of the bigger sup/surf wings was done in order to keep the center of effort at the same place for all foils (no need to move the mast when changing wings). BTW their windsurfing wing (levo 900) uses the same design as the smaller kite wings so should be pretty strong.

Return to “Hydrofoil”