Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Lines management for quick launch without bar lines twisted

Postby fun2kite » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:43 am

Hi all,

Please help with another question that drives me nuts on the beach almost every time.
Again, I am quite new to foil kites and know that experienced user can get setup pretty quickly and launch (they say under 5 mins? )

I think the biggest time difference between a new user and experienced foil rider is the ability to unroll the bar without lines twisted and be ready to launch with just one go while unrolling the bar not having to check and check and re-do your lines ...

Here is my problem: Almost every time I unroll the bar, I get the lines on the bar twisted once or twice and I need to figure out which way to rotate the bar on the ground to bring it to a proper position without lines twisted. Please help with a proper solid technique on how to avoid this situation.

When I pack the kite I always make sure I have NO twists in lines. I roll it carefully and try to make sure that I always position the bar the same way on the kite without rotating it.

When I come to setup the next day, I take the bar from the packing position and carefully position it on the ground and then try to unroll it without twisting it. Yet, almost every time, somehow at least one of the sides of the kite winds up with lines crossed or twisted.
I wind up walking multiple times and trying to correct the situation. often I wind up re-attaching the line on the kite steering line, cause that seems to be the fastest way to fix the tangle.
I am quite puzzled as since I never detach the lines in the first place, how in hell those tangles even happen.

There must be a good line management technique I could use to make the unrolling/rolling lines more fool proof so that I can launch faster.

Thank you for sharing your technique of making sure things work from the first time.

-D.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Lines management for quick launch without bar lines twis

Postby PullStrings » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:42 pm

You can learn to do it without having to untwist your lines at all but it takes a lot of discipline
The trick is to first practice by doing several dry runs from A to Z unpacking and packing
Start with kite in the bag and finish with kite in the bag
Jacket on...jacket off ( karate kid )

You need to visualize the bar staying in the exact same 3D plane as the kite laying on it's back
Packing perfectly after a session and unpacking perfectly in exact reverse for your next
Left side of bar lined up with left side of kite
Don't do any 180's with bar at any time
Don't do any flipping around with bar
Repetition and duplication is the key for success
For additional practice do not detach the lines off your tube kite

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fun2kite » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Good idea to practice on windless days without ever launching! I will do that as we have plenty of days without wind :-)

I am already careful to not twist the bar when rolling/unrolling. But I must be doing it without noticing. I will follow your advise. Thank you.

PullStrings wrote:You can learn to do it without having to untwist your lines at all but it takes a lot of discipline
The trick is to first practice by doing several dry runs from A to Z unpacking and packing
Start with kite in the bag and finish with kite in the bag
Jacket on...jacket off ( karate kid )

You need to visualize the bar staying in the exact same 3D plane as the kite laying on it's back
Packing perfectly after a session and unpacking perfectly in exact reverse for your next
Left side of bar lined up with left side of kite
Don't do any 180's with bar at any time
Don't do any flipping around with bar
Repetition and duplication is the key for success
For additional practice do not detach the lines off your tube kite

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:47 pm

I unroll the kite, weigh wing tip, unwind lines while walking bar 45 degrees into the wind (to the intended launch spot). I then go back to the kite, and walk the steering lines towards the bar- there will be at most one or two twists. As I get close to the bar, it becomes obvious how many times I need to spin the bar and in which direction to compensate for the twists. Spin the bar as needed, return to kite, pre-inflate, launch. This usually takes maybe 3 or 4 minutes without rushing.

Never spin the bar while winding or unwinding lines.

As long as you leave lines attached, any line twists should be able to be fixed with bar rotations (as opposed to complicated line twists such as where you have to pull bar through center lines to fix).

I'm also pretty new to foils, but this has been working for me on a wide sandy beach. Narrow launch spots are much trickier. For launch spots with stuff on the ground (weeds, etc.) I use inflatables.

andrewjohn
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby andrewjohn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:32 pm

Yep, pretty much as above. With lines attached, at most a couple of twists and your away.
Having said that, now I'm on LEI's and don't leave lines attached, I still at most have a couple of twists to sort out when unwinding the lines, but foils are so much easier.
If you're getting quite a few twists you're doing something seriously wrong.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:42 am

As the Gunnar videos: bar over to LE at completion of wrapping up lines; I leave the bar outside the kite, I think that's more proof against wrapping in bridles as well as being easier to wash. Take care not to put them through a bridle (very obvious when you set up next) and you've almost eliminated tangles.

When walking lines out, untwist as you go... At the bridle, lay them flat-ish and as you walk out, keep an eye on the lines for twists. Launching a foil is less physical effort but you have a more thorough check-list.

Why am I the only person who larks heads my steering and center lines together on my LEI bars?! Never have tangles...

andrewjohn
Medium Poster

Postby andrewjohn » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:31 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Why am I the only person who larks heads my steering and center lines together on my LEI bars?! Never have tangles...
Your not. I do too, as you say, makes it so much easier.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:25 pm

andrewjohn wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
... I even do the bridles on the kite...

andrewjohn
Medium Poster

Postby andrewjohn » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
andrewjohn wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
... I even do the bridles on the kite...
I'm not quite that anal. But I have thought about it. :lol:

Return to “Foil Kites”