Ozone speed system adjustment

For all foil kite riders
kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone speed system adjustment

Postby kitexpert » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:13 pm

I checked R1V2 bridle and find out it quite clever design. Upper two levels for each rib have same lenght in A, B and C. Primary bridle is very short, like it should be.

This means there is not a lot of room for line lenght errors in primaries, so main concern is long upper two levels. Since these have equal lenght by ribs, just comparing them to each other tell how the tune is. Fix is to stretch them equal. Absolute lenght is not very critical, but of course could be measured. Very probably A's are not shrinked - if they were like the others there wouldn't be out of tune problems.

For the symmetry I would first check/stretch A's in pairs from both sides of the kite and then do B and C rib by rib.

Finally brakes should be checked/adjusted. They have different configuration so they must be done independently or adjusted by feel/checking how much bar movement has effect.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:24 pm

foilholio wrote:
gmb13 wrote: best of all the pulley lines don't shrink
Care to back up that unbelievable statement? I have never seen a piece of rope stay the same length, so I am assuming they stretch. Aswell why add adjustments with instructions to zero/level the mixer if you don't need them.
Slyde wrote:Thanks Gunnar, another very useful video
It's somewhat useful but not comprehensive enough.
Slyde wrote: I do see the rationale for just concentrating on A1, B1, C1
Then you have either ignored what I have typed for you so good luck and I am obviously wasting my time, or well I don't want to say.
Slyde wrote: as it seems impractical to check and stretch/pigtail every component of the bridle
checking yes, stretching no.

Come over to Fuerte and have a look at my ChronoV2 13m kite. It has the same speed system on there untouched after close to 200 Hours of use now and its pretty much still at zero.

Would a picture help prove anything to you?

--
Gunnar

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:58 pm

No a picture is not necessary. I gather by "pretty much" you mean it has still changed in length hence my statement. So then it has minimal shrink? How much is that? Be honest and measure your pulley lines and get back to me. 200hrs on a single set of pulley lines is very good.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:00 pm

foilholio wrote:No a picture is not necessary. I gather by "pretty much" you mean it has still changed in length hence my statement. So then it has minimal shrink? How much is that? Be honest and measure your pulley lines and get back to me. 200hrs on a single set of pulley lines is very good.
Stretch actually. It's currently at B+.5mm and C0 after 200 hours. Thats pretty good, considering the standard system shrinks by as much as 30mm on C in the first 10 hours.

--
Gunnar

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:20 pm

You obviously checked it when it was new? I suspect they may be oversized when new otherwise that is pretty good. I imagine Ozone is not prestretching their line to get those results. I wonder if there is symmetry issues.

I was watching the Ozone mixer test video http://ozonekites.com/videos/play/pro-tune-speed-system. I am curious what part of the mixer ozone uses to limit B or is B allowed a lot of travel past slack? In the video they move the B attachment to adjust it, this wouldn't correct the depower limit if that was the limit, i.e. similar to the problem Flysurfer mixers have.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:27 pm

foilholio wrote:You obviously checked it when it was new? I suspect they may be oversized when new otherwise that is pretty good. I imagine Ozone is not prestretching their line to get those results. I wonder if there is symmetry issues.

I was watching the Ozone mixer test video http://ozonekites.com/videos/play/pro-tune-speed-system. I am curious what part of the mixer ozone uses to limit B or is B allowed a lot of travel past slack? In the video they move the B attachment to adjust it, this wouldn't correct the depower limit if that was the limit, i.e. a similar problem Flysurfer mixers have.
Hi Dude,

I have been testing this kite for ozone for over a year. So I have been taking measurements after every session.

In regards to the B on the pro tune system. Have a look:
Screenshot at Nov 24 12-24-32.png
--
Gunnar

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Not really an answer to any of my questions!

As to the B limit I see B is PA1+PB2=1120 and C is PB1=980. With out knowing the knot positions I could say either B pulley line knot (PC1lowerknot) or Z knot(PB1knot) limits B, I lean towards the B PLknot only because you said the Z knot doesn't limit B :-) but I still want to say the Z knot lol. WTF is with the language? KR1 vs Z main, PC1 vs C main , etc. The Germans might not speak English but they certainly have a better grasp of it than whoever wrote that diagram.

Oh and if Ozone wants to encourage the use of the long mixer test they should make the upper bridles in the center which you use for the test have a level point in the bridle just before the kite, i.e. make joins at the same level then from there use another bridle or pigtails to get the different lengths. You could then peg through the level point at the kite and adjust out the mixer with no calculations or even line plan needed. Oh and please include Z, Ozone's desire to differ itself from Flysurfer is just getting silly.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:02 pm

foilholio wrote: I am curious what part of the mixer ozone uses to limit B or is B allowed a lot of travel past slack?
I don't know if there is a need to limit how far B can depower, no more than in any other line row. The final limit is of course the bar sheet out stop. If kite is stable it does not need limits at lowest AoA.
foilholio wrote:I could say either B pulley line knot (PC1lowerknot) or Z knot(PB1knot) limits B
You mean one of these knots bump into pulley and limit the range? I don't think so. It would be one more and quite difficult adjustment to do and it would limit the depower. Mixers can have very well so long pulley lines that it is made sure nothing there limits AoA changes in any way.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Flysurfer are designed like that. More recent ones are designed to have "just enough" travel to put some slack in B, the problem as I started a thread about it is when the pulley lines shrink this "just enough" becomes too little. If Ozone has almost no shrink then that is not an issue, but the way they adjust B and Z would make one. The solution is simple, make things (B&C pulley lines and Z main) a bit longer and ad an extra knot above the Z knot. Then only the new knot on C pulley line is the limit and Z is free to have some adjustment. B pulley line is also then long enough to never reach it's own limit. The new knot also becomes another "setting" for Z.

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:56 am

Wow, Foilholio how come the nuclear bomb at me? Your advice was well received and will be of great use to me. Gunnars advice is also very useful. I will use all of it. Its not a contest between advisors. I'm sure you are a very experienced foil kiter and so is Gunnar. Lets keep this constructive eh.
Kiting is for joy, relaxation and positive energy. Thats why i do it anyway.
Peace brother.

Return to “Foil Kites”