Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DIY Foil Kites

Postby Blackrat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks for the thread , awesome to see it fly !

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:35 pm

stefmoris wrote: I've already ordered the material to sew up an 8 and a 15! It will take me all summer to really learn all I can from this design so I'm just going to scale it up and down.
Yes, don't rush it. Take your time and use your kite in different conditions and then think carefully what could be improved and how it could be done.

At hindsight I'd have done better if I had made very different kites from the beginning and learned more and had been able to isolate how different parameters affect. Of course I now know quite a lot, but it has been a long way.

But in practice it is almost impossible if your resources are limited like they are for DIY kite maker. It is just too much to invest materials and ca. 100 hours of work if resulting kite is an uncertain experiment.

However, if you Stef get too fixed in your current design it may limit your work. Scaling up and down is not optimal, because big and small kites are used in so different conditions. It is possible though and small race foils are among the most exciting kites. At least with Surfplan it is very easy to modify designs, so not much added work there.

There is nothing wrong to study what kind of designs are used in good kites. To make a good kite is very much to be able to make good and sensible compromises. DIY worker can then try to tailor a kite for some specific use: high wind, freeride hf, speed record etc.

I don't see it very reasonable to make simple foil kite like Access, at best it will be a mediocre kite. For first DIY kite it is a good choice, easy to do and it will work certainly.

After making a lot of kites during the years it is essential to keep record of your work, so you can really learn from earlier designs. Of course you will remember a lot but there is so much parameters you can easily forget something. It is very useful to compare different designs during the design work.

I'm constantly amazed how often I see design choices in new kites which I've leaved years ago or which are not justifiable. I must say many (foil) kite designers are sloppy, kites just don't look finished. On the other hand, the work of top designers is very high level. There is also cost/manufacture compromises which can be seen, but this must be accepted for ordinary kites.

I dare to say only race foil kites develop, other kite types are more or less finished. Single skins are developing too, but they have their limitations.
stefmoris wrote:Kitexpert I hope you develop that 80 cell monster of a kite I saw you posted in another thread! Then we can have a virtual battle of the gps tracks!
I'm working with a bit less extreme kite, but it's supposed to have very high performance. Specs are above Speeds, so very close to full race kites. Some details are even higher level, but I've tried to keep usability at acceptable level and also the amount of work. But it has very much details, so there is a lot of work. If it will be a success I'll post pictures and experiences, if not :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

stefmoris
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puntone
Gear: Mikeslab Bullet (3,4,.....)
Brand Affiliation: lecca-lecca / Mikeslab

Postby stefmoris » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:04 am

All valid points as usual Kitexpert, and I hope you do post your progress, regardless of the outcome.

I'm moving ahead as quick as free time allows. I wont be detailing the individual steps this time unless there is a specific request for something.

Happy sewing everyone. -stef

fpvSB
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leadbetter, Santa Barbara
Style: Nasty
Gear: LiquidForce, Zeeko

Postby fpvSB » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:45 am

Did you ride your new kites yet?

stefmoris
Medium Poster

Postby stefmoris » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 am

Hi fpvSB and everyone, I have not taken my new kites out on the water yet. I just finished the other day my 8m2 (52 hours build time and 1.6 kg) and my 15m2 (63 hour build time and 2.83kg) and completed a quick ground test in light wind to make sure I can hit the water in confidence. The pics show the kites depowered as it was difficult to take the picture with my phone and fly the kite at the same time :).

I had sent off my 11m2 for testing but unfortunately my connection had more important priorities and never got around to taking my kite out on the water. I just received it back the other day.

I plan to have my first water sessions sometime in the next few weeks and as soon as I have some GPS stats, pics, and vid, I will certainly post them.

Thanks for your interest! :) -stef

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:13 am

Looking good. Cant wait to see a video if them in action on the water ;)

stefmoris
Medium Poster

Postby stefmoris » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm

I had a great first full session on my 11m2. I posted the polar in here:

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2395866&p=972013#p972013

No video yet. Now the fun begins with steady tweaks to improve performance. :) -stef

stefmoris
Medium Poster

Postby stefmoris » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi all, here is a long overdue video of a recent session. I’m still dialing in the mixer to get a good combination of stability and performance, but I’m happy with the results thus far. I’ll produce a more polished video at the end of the summer.

This was a light wind session on my 15. I reached a max speed of 28.21 knots, upwind vmg 43º @ 16 knots, downwind 131º around 26 knots.

I’ve attached the gpx file incase anyone more capable than I wants to check it and correct me if I’m wrong.

-stef

http://www.stefanomoris.com/forumposts/ ... ion_14.gpx

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:25 pm

stefmoris wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 pm
Hi all, here is a long overdue video of a recent session.
I don't see much fluttering in the panels of that machine ; probably
because you did a Great job building it ? :thumb:

Bille
Attachments
Home made kite.png

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Wow!
Thumbs up for the result.
Looks like it flies very well!

Return to “Foil Kites”