revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: DIY Foil Kites

Postby revhed » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:40 pm

stefmoris wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 pm
This was a light wind session on my 15. I reached a max speed of 28.21 knots, upwind vmg 43º @ 16 knots, downwind 131º around 26 knots.
RESPECT, BRAVO! :thumb: :D
R H

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 pm

stefmoris wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 pm
Hi all, here is a long overdue video of a recent session. I’m still dialing in the mixer to get a good combination of stability and performance, but I’m happy with the results thus far. I’ll produce a more polished video at the end of the summer.

This was a light wind session on my 15. I reached a max speed of 28.21 knots, upwind vmg 43º @ 16 knots, downwind 131º around 26 knots.

I’ve attached the gpx file incase anyone more capable than I wants to check it and correct me if I’m wrong.
Looks good, now you just need to upgrade to a better foil/board combination and you'll be all set! :lol:

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peert » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:54 pm

Looks great that Video. The kite obviously handles well and is very very beautifull also from a distance. The see through effect is nicely used.. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:44 am

Hello Stef.
Super impressed with what you have achieved, your detailed documented account with images and precision needed is outstanding.
I have been making bridles, pigtails ETC for a number of years but have never considered taking on a project like this.
The time and effort that you have put into this is inspirational.

stefmoris
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puntone
Gear: Mikeslab Bullet (3,4,.....)
Brand Affiliation: lecca-lecca / Mikeslab
Has thanked: 0

Postby stefmoris » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks everyone! Still tweaking the bridles a bit. I want to try to improve downwind and low end as well.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Inspiring speeds you report there in the 50+ topic. :naughty: :D
Attachments
session_11.png

stefmoris
Medium Poster

Postby stefmoris » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks Peert! Slowly but surely I'll get the downwind too. I'm already thinking about future tweaks and changes but still need the rest of the summer to get as much learning in as I can. -stef

stefmoris
Medium Poster

Postby stefmoris » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi all, here is a short film wrapping up my summer with my 3rd generation of home made foil kites. I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoy making the kites!

The kites are a big improvement from my last generation. I’ve gone faster with better angles than ever before on my hydrofoil (30.7 knots top speed), upwind at 41º/17 knots VMG, and down at 136º/24 knots VMG. The structure is much more solid with less jellyfishing, the construction and material a lot more durable, and the kite has nice pressurization with very little water ingress.

I am blending from one profile in the center, to another on the tips. While the tips are nice and stable, unfortunately the center is not (as Kitexpert and Foilhollio had pointed out) as stable as I would have liked.
So in tuning to get things nice and stable I had to give up some power and downwind performance.

I even did a few races this summer and had a lot of fun. I came in dead last but I completed the courses in the time alotted, and even had some great starts! I still can’t tack or gybe, probably because I spend too much time trimming and tweaking my kites!!!!

I’m already working on the design for the 4th generation and will continue to use Chikara as it seems to be super durable. I made a wallet last december and as you can see although it is worn, it has not torn or come undone!
I hope these DIY threads inspire others to make their own kites and if so, post your progress!! :) -stef

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 am

Thank you very much stef for your videos and work! If they are not inspirational for DIY kite people I don't know what is :thumb:

Your kites look good. You must have done many things just right to counter that challenging starting point, high AR kite with relatively low cell count.

What I've found out during the years is less tuning your kite needs the better it is. If you have to correct some problems by adjusting bridle/speedsystem you lose something, usually flying speed/upwind and also depower. Of course you can say they even not existed, if stability of the kite wasn't good enough.

Looking forward how your 4th generation kites will be. Chikara is indeed a good material and it is nice to work with. Best success in your work :thumb:

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:32 am

stefmoris wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi all, here is a short film wrapping up my summer with my 3rd generation of home made foil kites. I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoy making the kites!

The kites are a big improvement from my last generation. I’ve gone faster with better angles than ever before on my hydrofoil (30.7 knots top speed), upwind at 41º/17 knots VMG, and down at 136º/24 knots VMG. The structure is much more solid with less jellyfishing, the construction and material a lot more durable, and the kite has nice pressurization with very little water ingress.

I am blending from one profile in the center, to another on the tips. While the tips are nice and stable, unfortunately the center is not (as Kitexpert and Foilhollio had pointed out) as stable as I would have liked.
So in tuning to get things nice and stable I had to give up some power and downwind performance.

I even did a few races this summer and had a lot of fun. I came in dead last but I completed the courses in the time alotted, and even had some great starts! I still can’t tack or gybe, probably because I spend too much time trimming and tweaking my kites!!!!

I’m already working on the design for the 4th generation and will continue to use Chikara as it seems to be super durable. I made a wallet last december and as you can see although it is worn, it has not torn or come undone!
I hope these DIY threads inspire others to make their own kites and if so, post your progress!! :) -stef

Great video. Awesome looking kite.
But......
Can we see more of the kite please ;)

Return to “Foil Kites”