Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tips Making/adjusting bridles and line

Postby foilholio » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:29 pm

The pulleys are designed for 4mm rope. So anything a bit thicker than FS 2mm is going to go better.

Square knot? http://www.animatedknots.com/reef/ Thats used to join ropes. Overhand knot maybe? I would use a figure 8 knot. Overhands half the strength.

I have tried a knot in the loop of a regular kite line pigtail. It's extremely compact and didn't give huge confidence that the line wouldn't slip off somehow. Getting the knot exactly center was very difficult too. Do try it out though, some one should.

With the thick pulley rope and small travel on the synergy, you may not notice a stuck pulley . The bridle on an FS is sensitive to very minor knots and things. The synergy basically doesn't have a bridle in comparison.

Never too late to start looking after gear. You may not notice a difference session to session, but after 10 or 100, easy. I even see the effects of how kites are rolled, folded, sanded and launched.

It stumps me how poor some inflatable guys treat their gear. They always drag their lines though the sand. They then need new line sets every year. I have lines with 10 years on them that look not much worse than new.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:48 pm

I'm not really following the discussion here regarding stopper knots but I can tell you that stopper knots are the first thing I replace on a brand new kite because the larks head always slips over the inadequate knots now provided by the kite factory. With me at 80-93KG, it may take 50 hours before they slip but they always do.

What usually happens is when I jump, the larks head slips off half way and when you land, it slips right off.

I'm talking about the power lines only. My knots are large and a possible snag hazard but......
Attachments
pigtails_1_1.jpg
These knots are inadequate.
pigtails_1_1.jpg (40.56 KiB) Viewed 647 times

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:54 pm

foilholio wrote:Far too on topic there! HEHE

yes I would like to know how that is done aswell.

The way I do it ,to keep the line or loop accurate, I just a put pin though both lines at 90degrees where I want the loop to start. When I sew the loop as long as the pin is still at 90 degrees the length will be exact. The sewing machine usually pulls both lines together nicely from where the pin starts. But a jig would be good and I have seen them used in some video/s. Sewing a zigzag on thin bridles is hardly easy without one.
Yes, it does seem very tricky. I'll have to remove all my empty diet coke cans and finished cigarettes from my table before I can gain access to my sewing machine.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:38 am

ROFL!

On the previous post. I had the same assumptions. I wonder if a better/cleaner/lighter connection system can be thought up.

What if a larger knot was used? Like a stopper knot. http://www.animatedknots.com/indextypes ... g.jpg&Webs. http://www.animatedknots.com/ashleystop ... g&Website= is a nice one I have used instead of relaunch balls.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Adjusted/checked some more lines. 2015 north fronts out by 5mm, not bad, rears out by 15mm. 2009 Flysurfer fronts out by 21mm, rears 38mm! The splices on the rear lines were 6 and 7 cm. WTF? Fronts 10cm. All too short imo.

Pulling stitches on splices can be tricky. God help anyone try it with white thread on white lines. Some tricks are to bend the splice which will make the stitches more obvious and another is to pull on the threads on each side to reveal one stitch at a time. FS uses grey thread on grey lines.... Obviously a vain attempt to make the splices look cool enough for the sleeved crowd. But they'll never buy it, they only buy what everyone else is buying. Like lemmings over a cliff.

Did you rejoice, "finally", when kook proof connectors came into being? Well foil kites are not for you.

Return to “Foil Kites”