Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Speed 5 vs speed 4 and backstall.

For all foil kite riders

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer Speed 5 vs speed 4 and backstall.

Postby windrider1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:35 am

Anyone out there who got their hands on the new speed 5. Wht do u guys think about it compared to the speed 4 . i just got it and there are some improvements i like ex, it seems to be faster and have a more solid feel in the air. The fabric seems much stronger. But i dont knw mines seem to suffer from some backstall issues . Anyone else have any of this type issues . Pulling in the bar backstalls no matter if its depowered well and then when u sheet out it surges forward sometimes overhead. May be i need to adjust the bridles or is it designed like tht? I didn't have those issues on the lotus.

DvB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Switch Nitro 5, 12 & 9

Re: Flysurfer Speed 5 vs speed 4 and backstall.

Postby DvB » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:31 am

A simple test (and you probably have tried this already), check your line lengths. I once had this happen to me with a Psycho 4 out of the box, and when I checked the line lengths the fronts needed to be adjusted by almost 200mm. Since then that is always the first thing I do when I unpack a new kite. and with a foil, a mixer test as well. I used to assume that these things were correct out of the factory, but this is not always so. If the front and back lengths are equal, do a mixer test.

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Gear: FS

Postby kitexpert » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:30 am

Which size? It is normal to backstall small high AR kite if sheeting range is not very limited.

Lotus has jet flaps which reduce backstall. But I don't know, some say they are not good aerodynamic design :roll: Sonic backstalls too, but you can get used to it or use it for your advantage - or lenghten backlines.

Generally if kite backstalls backlines are too tight. I would search right lenghts by using trimmer in flight, then making adjustments in centerline or backlines. In light winds kite backstalls earlier, so a bit matter of taste...

windrider1
Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:10 pm

Ughh yea i knw these high aspect ratio kites can be a handfull but This kite moves very different than the other version speeds. the new aspect ratio is may be a little too high or maybe they changed the bridle layout The kite has some good qualitys but is a little more difficult to pilot. Ill try to check line lengths like some said as soon as wind permts. The size is 12m and i have been using a speed 4 bar with the trimmer almost pulled in to the max . So it has enough backline its just when u pull it in and it powrs up it wants to stall then a little bit of surge after sheeting out to correct the stalling behaviour . I didnt have this behavior on the speed 4.

Adventure Logs
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: The world
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer Physco 4, Speed 4 Lotus, Sonic 2
Nobile T5
Nobile Split Foil, Carbon Split
Slightshot hoverglide
Flysurfer Flysplit M, L

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:42 pm

If you are using an old bar I bet the steering lines shrunk. The new infinity 3's and late model 2's are designed to lengthen those lines under the floats. Love to hear more about the comparison. How much faster does it fly? Range? Etc?

=J-

windrider1
Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:41 pm

Ok did a bridle mixer test today and it turns out the lines were off by about half an inch between some . So I guess that was the problem. I am surprised with this quality control issue from flysurfer . but I have never had a problem before with their other kites so I don't knw. I am using the infinity 2 bar from the lotus but this should have not been the issue as its relatively new and works well on the lotus . I will take it out to check out in a few days and update.
Last edited by windrider1 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:10 am

I've also got the new Speed 5 12m. I've only had a chance to fly it once but it was 100% in my opinion. I've been on Sonic's for 12 months or so, so perhaps the higher AR from the 4 to 5 is less noticeable for me. From what you describe (trimmer pulled all the way in) it sounds like your rear lines are shorter than the fronts when fully sheeted in.

Windrider1- Would you mind clarifying what your mixer settings were - do you mean when A=Z, C was shorter by half an inch ? That would make the kite more stable, but shouldn't induce the sort of behaviour your describe.

windrider1
Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:22 am

The pic below is roughly the measurements I got .

Jzh_perth wrote:I've also got the new Speed 5 12m. I've only had a chance to fly it once but it was 100% in my opinion. I've been on Sonic's for 12 months or so, so perhaps the higher AR from the 4 to 5 is less noticeable for me. From what you describe (trimmer pulled all the way in) it sounds like your rear lines are shorter than the fronts when fully sheeted in.

Windrider1- Would you mind clarifying what your mixer settings were - do you mean when A=Z, C was shorter by half an inch ? That would make the kite more stable, but shouldn't induce the sort of behaviour your describe.
Attachments
bridles.JPG
bridle

flysurf73
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Bodo, northern Norway
Style: Freeride, snow and water
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3.5 15 CE, Speed5 9 DLX +, Speed4 8 DLX, Peak 6

Postby flysurf73 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Hello.

I have the Speed5 in 9 square meters.
Mixer is all even.
Have not tried the Lotus so cant compare to that one.

Here is a little video from last weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWfpzJLwYYg

As you can see I have no backstall issues on mine.

DvB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Switch Nitro 5, 12 & 9

Postby DvB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:37 am

Windrider1, you don't need wind to check your line lengths, test them with your lines detached from the kite and tied off to a single fixed point. With the depower strap set to full power and the bar pulled all the way in, all four lines should be the same length, with equal tension on all 4. This should be done on a regular basis, as the front lines experience far greater tension than the steering lines.

Return to “Foil Kites”