Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: sonic vs chrono v2?

Postby foilholio » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:31 am

I think if you were on a good 6m foil your opinion about the top end of foils would be different. A 6m foil will handle 25knots no problem. Designing and making them, from what I gather, is hard. The thinner profile gives less support, the more variable unstable wind needs a more stable kite and the smaller wing in higher winds makes small manufacturing defects quite noticeable, the same can be said for them being out of tune.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby coleman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:10 am

Here's an interesting review on speed 5 in Dutch by eddy lansink.

http://www.versusshop.nl/blog/review-flysurfer-speed-5/

At the end he speaks about the 9m and how stable it is in 30+. He even goes on to say he's selling his small edges to replace with speed 5

Sounds like armin is getting better stability out of his designs. Hopefully that holds true for his small ones as well. I've considered the 6m speed 5 as well

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:15 am

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

That is quite an in depth and glowing review of the speed5. Flysurfer seems to have the best understanding of foils. They have since pyscho4 and speed3 made large improvements to depower and stability. I like that they are switching back to spliceable line. Although the covered line was stiff causing less tangles, the new stitched ends would tangle, it is also not as durable and I would guess being thicker, especially considering new sk99 lines, the performance worse.

Return to “Foil Kites”