Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: sonic2 coming

Postby davesails7 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:33 am

I thought the sizes last year worked well. The 9,11, and 15 were actually 8.5, 11.5, and 14.5. Spaces nicely for a 3 kite race quiver.

I wonder what the new actual sizes will be? Seems tougher to make a 3 kite quiver from those new sizes...

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Has thanked: 0

Postby fogmeister » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:28 pm

yup agree on the quiver size........but better for them that we need 4 kite quiver to be perfect :wink:

aspect goes up to 7.5 from 7 for the 15 and 18
7.2 for 12m from 6.75 for 11m
7 for 6 m and 8m from 6.75

will that translate into even higher boosting and hang....or is there a law of diminishing returns at some point?

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:26 pm

Definitely think there is a law of diminishing returns as far as aspect raio and hangtime is concerned. The higher aspect ratios might mean a little more lift but u might come down a little bit faster I think also. Great to see the new sonic they are really fantastic kites. I have the 9 and 11 and love them, they definitely are step above the speed series. the only thing I dont really like is odd number quiver sizes I think with even numbers its easier to make a 2 kite quiver vs odd numbers.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:45 pm

The disadvantage to higher AR is less stability, less rigidity, i.e. the kite is more likely to get into a twisted mess. Larger foils because of their size, especially the airfoil thickness are more stable and can tolerate higher ARs. The opposite for small ones, they are much better if they have a lower AR.

Higher AR is actually more efficient and gives higher glide ratios so you will come down slower, it should also be capable of generating higher lift so you go up higher.

The 6 8 10 12 15 18 sizing works very well for other foils. You can quite easily form 3 kite quivers 6 10 15 and 8 12 18. I am actually using 6 10 18. The low end on 6 and 8 foils is very close. I think the big difference between small LEI and foils is the foils can generate more power being flown. It's not that the bigger kites aren't the same it's just much more noticeable on the small ones. I am surprised more hydrofoilers aren't using 6 meter foils, but then the sonic 6 isn't out yet. My 6 pyscho4 is my most used kite, I could use it as a one kite quiver.

Vid is interesting, the kites are still prototype and he mentioned a December release. Flysurfer will probably release them in stages. Like their other kites. I like how flysurfer puts a lot of development into their kites and holds back from releasing just scaled copies like so many other brands obviously do. It must be interesting though when they come to the final sizes in one model, their knowledge from all their other development must almost make it possible to make a new model on those last sizes. I wonder if it would be better to continually develop and scale. Keep no stock and just produce on demand. Buying a kite you will always have the latest.

I wonder what the fabric coatings they are using now. The lotus is obviously just a coating. I would guess it is some more flexible rubber. The PU coating on the older kites is stiffer but cracks/deteriorates/peels/absorbs water, not too good. I wonder if the difference between the 2 fabrics is just the coatings?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:14 pm

This is a little earlier than flysurfer usually likes to put out info about upcoming kites. Glad they're not coming out till December or I'd be pissed about my recent Sonic 11 purchase. Dealer told me not to expect a new Sonic till Decish. I bet we are gonna see 2 year releases from FS now, one year new Speed, second year new Sonic.

Interested to see what the sonic cloth will do. I bet the new Sonic will come with a little more performance, but a little less ease of use. I think the first gen Sonics are going to be special. High performance with still decent handling.

=J-

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:41 pm

..........i think he says beginning of "de summer" sounds like december.....haha

foilhelio......ya if its just a coating.....then.............they are two different cloths for sure.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:19 pm

the new sonic might not be too bad ,the lotus on top should hold air a bit better so kite might hold shape better, even though its gonna be higher aspect.....so trade offs that cancel each other out.....as far as stability. The new sonic might turn slower......or will the lightness of lotus cancel this too..........interesting for sure.........could be a higher jumper and hang with same stability and turning as sonic1. It should relaunch better as the video says its back wont stick to water as its now lotus.......the lightness should also help it catch a puff of air to open it up.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:14 am

It is possible the cloths are the same. It may just be the coating that makes Lotus lighter. Or also likely that the Lotus coating is stronger and allows lighter/weaker or maybe more porous fabric, something that would explain why speed 4s didn't last very long. The PU coating does look heavy. If they got the PU to penetrate the weave it wouldn't need to be so thick. But then the fabric would yellow horribly and lots of people get very picky about stuff like that.

If the bottom fabric is a different weight it would make sense structurally as the bottom has higher stresses. I just wonder why they can't use the same Lotus coating. Maybe air being ram into the bottom sail has less or no negative effect vs air leaking out the top. He did mention in the vid about air leaking out the top being bad. Lotus also did have trouble drying internally so a more porous side will help with that.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Mon May 02, 2016 6:15 am

the video is GONE!

Return to “Foil Kites”