Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Blaze 3

Postby foilholio » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:38 am

It doesn't look much better than a regular fifth line. Maybe it's just the Ozone aversion to not do things flysurfer has done, rename mixers, don't have good drainage, lack adjustments, generally claim they know more about designing foils and water foils. They do seem to have a general superior attitude, their riders too! Just look at plummet. I'll just ride my cheap Pansh anyway and enjoy myself, pffft. I do remember meeting an ozone land boarder once, non stop he would go on how great ozone is. Gave him a go on my FS, he shut up about ozone after that. Was about 8 years ago though so I am sure they are much better now.

I'll add, flysurfer has had an internal safety line on the viron for a long time. Viron 1 it could rip the fabric. With the Viron 2 FS reinforced it.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:58 am

Having used the Ozone Re-Ride system extensively in have to say I love it. It works as advertised and for my needs on snow I wish every kite had it. Kicks the hell out of 5th lines or FLS systems. There are similar systems. The safety in the Flysurfer Virons is similar but slightly different due to the closed cell design.

There have been some issues with the 2015 Ozones with Re-Ride. The original design had fabric reinforcement around the ports the Re-Ride bridle runs through. We saw that after a season of heavy use there was some wear. For 2016 Ozone installed plastic grommets to reinforce the ports. They work great for the most part. I've seen no failures first hand but there have been some that, when activated, had dislodged the grommet and the Re-Ride line came into contact with the ports with no means of protection from the bridle running through it. Ozone has a update available to remedy the issue and reduce the potential of failure.

We use the Re-Ride for launching and landing. Cuts the time from pack to airborne down to near nothing.

We use both Ozone and Flysurfer kites for teaching and demos. Nobody is perfect, both have had issues at some point or another (who hasn't?). But both brands make really great stuff. Hell everyone does today it seems. Even Pansh? If the A15 is an indicator it seems nobody makes bad kites anymore? Even this Blaze looks like a decent kite.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:56 am

Thinking about the problem a bit, perhaps a small section of teflon tubing sewn to the kite would work much better than a grommet.

You have perked my interest a bit in this system. Could it be applied to closed cells?

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:52 am

It's an interesting obstacle inherent in the design. The plastic grommets work great as long as the remain in place. People have retro-fittedthe 2015 versions with rubber grommets and they seem to work and the original reinforced material is there as a backup. The update to the 2016 version involves the addition of small stainless rings attached to the adjacent bridle anchor and redirects some of the load on activation to avoid dislodging the grommet.

The similar system in the Viron 2 works well and is in a closed cell but it draws from the leading edge and while the cells maintain internal pressure and form it can't compress nearly as much as the open cell Re-Ride equipped kites. So when the closed cell is down it it still affected by the wind.

With the Re-Ride I can land an 8m foil in 30kts and hold the kite with one finger. Instead of anchoring a kite, walking down, packing the wing and wrapping the lines we are landing on the Re-Ride, wrap the first meter of Re-Ride line and the wrap all the lines, bringing the kite to us. Then simply pack the wing and you're done.

On smaller closed cells a similar system would be great. On larger, it would be less so I think. Unless you could dump the internal pressure at the same time which for tyhjose of you on water, maybe not the best feature. :o
Last edited by Hardwater Kiter on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:27 pm

-
Last edited by foilholio on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:13 am

Typo. Fat fingers, tiny tablet. :thumb:

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:59 pm

So Ozone is now trying for a third time to stop teared sails. The third time!!!

I'm currently waiting for a Summit but it seems the retailer is taking the piss again and has forgetten about my order. If the kite comes, I'll decline the delivery as I'm not going to be messing about with silly plastic grommets.

Sorry but Ozone clearly cannot cope with the re-ride system, this much is clear.

Ozone have lost the plot.

tazzpowerup
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby tazzpowerup » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Has anyone snow kited with the Blaze 3?
If so I would really like to here all about it.
I'm just about ready to place my order. :D

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:12 am

I flew one . (pansh blaze 3 14m) and it fell out of the sky when depowered. no joke. there a video on youtube.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:30 am

Does the theme song come with the kite or do you have to pay extra for it?

https://youtu.be/opJOpvhjKDo

Return to “Foil Kites”