Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Adding a brake/stall line to a Cabrinha bar

For all foil kite riders
norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Adding a brake/stall line to a Cabrinha bar

Postby norcom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 pm

I'd like to add an Ozone stall/brake line to one of my 2015 Cabrinha race bars. Below are the pictures of the Ozone brake/stall line setup and the Cabrinha race bar.

The Ozone bar has two stopper balls that the brake line sits on. Do the stopper balls just have a knot underneath them? I was thinking of just tying the knot on the Cabrinha bar in the same location but wouldn't that half the breaking strength of that leader line? It's a bit beefier than the steering lines but still a concern. Should I do a figure 8 knot or any particular knot in this case?

Any thoughts on the best way to add the brake/stall line to this bar? Would someone with a Ozone foil bar that has the brake line installed comment on how the stopper ball is secured on the line?

Thanks!
Attachments
Foil-Race-Control-Trimmer-Brake-840x560.jpg
velocity_cabrinha_race_bar.jpg

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Adding a brake/stall line to a Cabrinha bar

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:05 pm

It's just a knot. I'd recommend a figure 8.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:57 am

You can use a brake strap with just knots or you can just use the balls or both. I find the balls offer better control and obviously don't interfere with the center line like a brake strap can. Flysurfer uses thick line about 3mm that is doubled over and stitched together so it is flat in the hand and easy to hold, I think it has a polyester sheath for better grip. They just use a over hand knot which is fine for such thick line and then use balls at the best points for relaunch and landing. You can use thinner line with balls, or the doubled line or a thicker line with no balls and something like a stopper knot instead of balls.

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:32 pm

I added a brake/stall line onto my cabrinha bar. I spliced a length of 3mm dyneema into the the steering leaders just above the plastic sleeving.

Works just fine with my 15m chrono v2

Prefer the brake line over only balls due to the ability to reverse launch / prevent a crash one handed when needed. This has saved me from 2 swims.

Be careful not position the line to high as it could get caught on the cleat.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:11 pm

Did the brake line mod. Used two stopper balls and a figure 8 knot. I put it fairly high so I can get more out of it. Though I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I've never flown a foil kite; yet. :D

I ordered a new stopper ball for the left side. Only had one of the small ones that I used on the right. Don't like the oversized ball on the left. And the reason there's no knot to prevent the rope going all the way through the clean is because I was adjusting the line length when I took the pic. In case anyone wonders.
Attachments
cabbar.jpg

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:24 pm

Flysurfer uses 2 balls a side, from the top of the bar (not the bar end) to the top of the first ball is 27.5cm and the second 48.5cm. The second balls are good for landing or relaunching, the first are not really used and mainly hold the floats in place.

What kite are you getting?

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Mon May 02, 2016 6:33 am

Flysurfer stopped using brake lines and just use a couple of balls on the line to grab and I like this approach. After having a serious kite mare caused by the brake line getting wrapped up with the depower line in surf, I no longer use brake lines with my foil kites.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon May 02, 2016 7:14 am

I could see as much occurring, bars are best uncomplicated. Balls are not even necessary, just line thick enough to grab or even knots. The balls not only make it very comfortable to grab though but also help you grab the line at the correct length to relaunch or land. They are actually very useful like this.

Return to “Foil Kites”