Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tuning adaptive canopy curve

Postby foilholio » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:58 am

That is very smart but in relation to your speed4 have you made adjustments at the canopy for it? I ask because I have found them unnecessary, you would be better restretching the bridles with more force, try 30kg.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:50 pm

jakemoore wrote:The speed 4 8 is getting old. It's not porus. I have stretched the bridles, checked lines, replaced spl and tuned the mixer. I did the long mixer test on every lines

Who would share wisdom regarding tuning the wing tips.
I got the information, that if you can't solve the problem with checking the lines there is a last option to modify something inside the kite. Therefore you have to contact flysurfer service directly.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:32 pm

That is interesting. Do flysurfer offer the info to fix it or do you need to mail it in?

I wonder what the fix is. You can play with strap tensions but making A straps tighter gives the kite more C. I have never played with the other straps but I guess they would make the kite more stable. I found adjusting skin tension had a bigger effect. I guess if you adjusted the cell walls, like take Vs out of it, that would do something as well but also would kink/wrinkle the skin.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:20 am

This solution is especialy for the Speed 4...
Inside the kite are "PMAs" placed at the topsail to make it shorter to get a "reflexprofil" at the tips for a higher s-form.
But this schould be realy the last option after shortening the mixer!
If you have further problems with this contact the workshop at werkstatt@flysurfer.de

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:22 pm

Nem0 wrote:This solution is especialy for the Speed 4...
Inside the kite are "PMAs" placed at the topsail to make it shorter to get a "reflexprofil" at the tips for a higher s-form.
But this schould be realy the last option after shortening the mixer!
If you have further problems with this contact the workshop at werkstatt@flysurfer.de

PMAs what are those? It sounds exactly like what my pleats do. What the hell is a s-form?

Nem0
Frequent Poster

Postby Nem0 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:45 pm

foilholio wrote: PMAs what are those? It sounds exactly like what my pleats do. What the hell is a s-form?
For PMAs you have to contact the workshop I said! :roll:
"s-form" wrong translation I think... does s-shape sounds better :)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:09 pm

I take it you mean the negative camber shape of the airfoil? That is S form/shape?

You don't know what a PMA is but the workshop will explain them? If they are just changing the camber of the airfoil they must be similar to my pleats. you already mentioned they go in the top skin which is where you place pleats to give negative camber. I will email them anyway I would like to know where on the cord they tweak the camber.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:15 pm

OK. Now my 8m dlx is flying with floppy ears all the time, unless fully powered up. Basically an inverted U shape going through the sky. I have adjusted the mixer to have the B lines 1.25 inches longer. Next time there is wind, I will test fly and report back.

This kite is very well used. I would have to add up the hours, but perhaps more than 200. It has landed in the saltwater many times, but I have rinsed it. None of the crashes were hard ones. The fabric seems to be in very good shape, really clean, almost crisp like new. Aside from a lot of use, I take care of my kites carefully, drying them out indoors after each session and rinsing them occasionally in fresh water. I wax the SPL's after each session and therefore have not had to replace them.

It would be great to have a fix for this problem. Often I stay out on the water for a long time. During that time the wind can vary from 10 to maybe 25 knots. This kite handles it. And sometimes during deeper lulls, I appreciate the fact that this kite will stay airborne, whereas a tube kite would not.

Let's keep this thread going. It really seems like there should be some solution.

Nem0
Frequent Poster

Postby Nem0 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:47 pm

PMA = Profil Momentum Adjuster

@Johhnn: please contact werkstatt@flysurfer.de to get a manual for solving your problem!

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Johhnn wrote:OK. Now my 8m dlx is flying with floppy ears all the time, unless fully powered up. Basically an inverted U shape going through the sky. I have adjusted the mixer to have the B lines 1.25 inches longer. Next time there is wind, I will test fly and report back.

This kite is very well used. I would have to add up the hours, but perhaps more than 200. It has landed in the saltwater many times, but I have rinsed it. None of the crashes were hard ones. The fabric seems to be in very good shape, really clean, almost crisp like new. Aside from a lot of use, I take care of my kites carefully, drying them out indoors after each session and rinsing them occasionally in fresh water. I wax the SPL's after each session and therefore have not had to replace them.

It would be great to have a fix for this problem. Often I stay out on the water for a long time. During that time the wind can vary from 10 to maybe 25 knots. This kite handles it. And sometimes during deeper lulls, I appreciate the fact that this kite will stay airborne, whereas a tube kite would not.

Let's keep this thread going. It really seems like there should be some solution.
Did you notice this gradually happening or just one day you noticed it? Do you backstall land the kite much? Check the webbing inside the trailing edge. My 10 dlx acted like this after the internal webbing tore. Happened on three different occasions. Is the bar pressure heavier as well? Put the kite up to the light and inspect the mesh.

=J-

Return to “Foil Kites”