Untangling Bridles/spreed system on Chrono V2

For all foil kite riders
Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Untangling Bridles/spreed system on Chrono V2

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks again & fear not, I haven't gone for the bait !

The wing tips definitely went through the bridle, as I had grey bridle lines (2 or 3) going over the back of the kite :o

There was what I thought was an easy solution as the speed system was heavily snagged on bridles and I undid & re-connected the pigtails on one side but this didn't help- :duh:

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:15 pm

I own several foils and have had several tangles and whilst removing the four flying lines on a windy beach is a terrible idea, if the kite is weight down, I see removing 2,3 or 4 flying lines as a very good way to undo a bridle tangle.

Why wouldn't it? All bridles are still attached to 4 pigtails. Everyone understands a tangle with just 2,3 or 4 ends.

And why bother pissing around putting a large kite through bridles when it can be fixed this simply.

How you make a tangle worse with 4 or less ends?

It wasn't bait.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:23 pm

I'm with Corbett on this one. Only do it in a nice grassy yard protected from wind. You can follow the A lines then the Z lines from the kite to the line attachment points.

Obviously you have to know how to put it back together.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster

Postby corbett » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:28 pm

And from a beginners point of view when dealing with tangle, pulling the kite through a bridle line or lines is hit or miss and that certainly can make a tangle worse especially if you do not know which line(s) you just pulled through.

And I wouldn't try to make someones life more difficult(op). I like a joke but not the unfunny kind :)

But don't worry OP, it could be worse:
Last edited by corbett on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:48 pm

If the tip is through the bridle, lay the kite flat out bridle side up, figure out which side the bridle is from, then pull those lines that are behind the kite back out to the tips and over the top.

It's not rocket science, but experience is the only way to get a handle on it :o Undoing lines adds the complication of lose ends and line tangles...only as a last resort!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:51 pm

corbett wrote:And from a beginners point of view when dealing with tangle, pulling the kite through a bridle line or lines is hit or miss and that certainly can make a tangle worse especially if you do not know which line(s) you just pulled through.

And I wouldn't try to make someones life more difficult(op). I like a joke but not the unfunny kind :)

But don't worry OP, it could be worse:
10 minutes work. You've not even managed to tangle left and right together :lol:

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:53 pm

Fortunately, I have a large enough area indoors at home - yep mine pretty much looks like that. Thanks again & will take some pics of the horror :(

corbett
Very Frequent Poster

Postby corbett » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:56 pm

TheRussian wrote:Fortunately, I have a large enough area indoors at home - :(
Lucky git.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You should not be mad that your kites in a tangle, this is simply inexperience. Well, the fact you're not confident in fixing it is what I mean. Give me your inflatable and I can fly it but I cannot fix a thing on it.

Lets put money on this guys. If The Russian goes my way and makes you run and removes even 1 flying line then I win and if he removes none then you win and I run and I pay for his funeral when he kills himself out of frustration.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:49 pm

I'll say it again, this is the best tool on the market for use while untangling a foil kite's bridles.

:rollgrin:

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:41 pm

I recently had the same issue with my R1 v1 on my second attempt to fly it. Fortunately only one of the sides tangled up and the other one was OK. It took a few hours after I disconnected the speed system to untangle it. I used the untangled side as a reference. Without it I wouldn't have been able to put it back together unless I printed the line setup from the Ozone pdf.

It's easy to say "just pull the loops out". Every time I would pull something, something else would get tangled up more. Disconnecting the speed system and then going line by line is tedious but at least after each free line you feel like you've made progress.

It was a good learning experience putting the speed system back together. I'm sure I'll need to untangle it again in the future and I'm MUCH more familiar with it now.

Return to “Foil Kites”