First foil kite foil board session

For all foil kite riders
kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First foil kite foil board session

Postby kitexpert » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Toby wrote:Theory vs practical experience...if he did relaunch it why not accept it?
No need to be rude about it.
I have practial experience with foil kites which have taken water inside, for sure not as much as foilholio has :D . I have seen many times other kiters with this same problem, ten years ago it was much more common than today.

If water filled kite would relaunch like foilholio says, why so many foilkiters have had to rescue with much less filled kites? No one likes to drag wet and dirty mess of a kite to the beach.

Foilholio seems to think other foilkiters (which have much more experience than he has) don't know how to use their kites. Like he thinks he knows better than professional designers how kites should be made - even though foilholio is ignorant of kite design and doesn't know even the basics of aerodynamics. It is weird :o

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:10 pm

kitexpert wrote: If water filled kite would relaunch like foilholio says, why so many foilkiters have had to rescue with much less filled kites? No one likes to drag wet and dirty mess of a kite to the beach.
Foilholio seems to think other foilkiters (which have much more experience than he has) don't know how to use their kites. It is weird :o
I could not agree more Mr.expert.....Mr.folio estimate of water in his kite could not be 1/3...the correct estimate would have to be 1/8.... or less

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:54 pm

It was definitely 1/3 full, 1/8 is hard sure but much easier than 1/3. 1/10 to 1/8 is likely to happen after a bad wave encounter, i.e. I have done that plenty of times.

You must also realize not all foils are created equal when it comes to draining water. The flysurfer design is the best. But also individual elements effect how well water exits. Like how many cells, i.e. the more the longer it take water to traverse the TE. The new mini cells on the TE like sonic and new panshs are particularly bad for slowing it down. The flysurfer tip drain is particularly good because it can pop open easiest and drain very quick. Some tip velcro won't even open and take forever to drain even a tiny amount of water
kitexpert wrote:If water filled kite would relaunch like foilholio says, why so many foilkiters have had to rescue with much less filled kites?
Not much is obvious to you is it? Because they didn't know how and most likely they didn't even believe it was possible.
kitexpert wrote:Foilholio seems to think other foilkiters (which have much more experience than he has)
With foil kites more experience than me? There ain't many that's for sure and the few I have seen don't know many things I do, but do know some things I don't.

Also most foil kiters now have barely been using them as they just started because of racing.
kitexpert wrote:don't know how to use their kites.
Such a broad statement, not knowing a few things is different than being completely unable. The basics of a foil kite are the same as any kite. There is more advance techniques to foils as there is inflatables. There is methods to sort out bridle wraps and bowties, quite honestly I only vaguely remember them because I basically never use them any more.
kitexpert wrote:Like he thinks he knows better than professional designers how kites should be made - even though foilholio is ignorant of kite design and doesn't know even the basics of aerodynamics. It is weird :o
Who said high camber has the best L/D again? oh that was you. Who is ignorant then?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:21 am

foilholio wrote: Because they didn't know how and most likely they didn't even believe it was possible, because of twits like you and pullstrings.
kitexpert wrote:Foilholio seems to think other foilkiters (which have much more experience than he has)
With foil kites more experience than me? There ain't many that's for sure.
Well on this thread there are 2 ....that's for sure

What does experience mean to you ? ...babbling techno on a forum or actual time on the water killing it ? ..you seem to be slow at relaunching since 1/3 gets in !! :lol:

Hey...name calling is rude

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:28 am

Sorry, but you guys should pm yourself with your endless discussion.

Topic closed.

Return to “Foil Kites”