Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FS speed 3 flying with flat leading edge while nose valve open

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FS speed 3 flying with flat leading edge while nose valve open

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:34 pm

I had the same problem with my ex s3. Seamgrip on every seam hole changed almost nothing. Only a full recoat (PU in my case 2 years ago) solved the problem with a satisfying leading edge curvature after recoating. Go for a recoat and just be careful with quantities to limit the weight increase.
I suggest you weight carefully the kite before and after recoat.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:41 am

Exciting! Maybe you should test a bit of toluene in the spray gun to check it doesn't destroy it and waste the goop. You can practice with water to get your spray technique and pattern right. The results for weight gain are quite impressive with only about ~40g solids per tube. Check what Axel wrote about certain areas ( like the tips) leaking more than others. Giving them a couple more coats can really help I believe.

Another thing you could do is modify the middle valve to be split air intake. It should increase pressure.

axel_lotta
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: FlySurfer, Underground
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby axel_lotta » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:31 am

Ivar wrote:Finally some wind to test! The air valves open up better now but unfortunately the pressure inside the kite is still insufficient to keep the leading edge rounded instead of hollow. Some more experienced surfers checked the kite and couldn't find anything abnormal. Saw someone else with a flat front :lol: as well. Kite looked very new but unfortunately I didn't get the chance to speak to the person.
Just ordered 2 large tubes of marine goop, 2 litres of toluene and an el cheapo airless paint gun :D It might take some time before i get this done as I'm about to leave for 5 weeks. I'll post my results!
Please, please, please weigh the kite before and after the treatment, and also borrow a porosity meter (or make one: https://vimeo.com/124682223 ) and make a bunch of tests before and after to capture your results. It would be great to get some conclusive results to really nail down the preferred mixing ratio and application method/number of coats for the foil communities use.

Cheers,

Axel.

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:52 am

I think you should know that deformation of the leading is normal when you depower the kite. This is due to the triple depower system. Check if you have it deformed when you fully pull in the bar. My practiacally new condition Speed 3 15 DLX starts deforming when the bar is sheeted over the 50 % of the bar throw. So before you recoating it, check with a porosity meter the top part of the leading edge, and you should not worth recoating if porosity is OK. Obviously if porosity is bad than deformation starts earlier then it should be, and then recoating would makes sense. Let me know on the porosity values. I am interested.

Ivar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiderslag, Wijk aan zee noordpier
Style: Trying to survive style
Gear: Nasawing
C-quad
Flysurfer Titan 12.5
Flysurfer speed 3 15
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ivar » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm willing to do some weighing and testing when I'm ready to start re-coating! Next Monday I'll be gone for 5 weeks training as a pilot wheeeeeyyy. Don't have a clue where I'll be hanging out after that. I'll let you guys know about my plan of approach beforehand so we could discuss it a little more. Maybe I'll make some videos of flight behaviour before and after as well. Plan so far:

- Video kite deformation measuring wind speed/steadyness
- Rinse kite fully in fresh water. Don't want to use any soap
- Let the kite fully dry maybe a day or two
- Weigh the kite including/excluding lines and bar
- Check porosity on certain locations. Any ideas? I was thinking 3 point tip to middle and maybe leading edge to trailing edge in the middle.
- Hang the kite on its trailing edge and inflate with some RC plane equipment
- Dissolve 2 large tubes of marine goop in a little less than 2 liters toluene. (need a little to clean the spray gun afterwards) Ratio would be about 1:8 to 1:9
- As the spray gun has a 800ml reservoir I would like to try spraying 800ml per side (will practise with water first after the cleaning)
- Use the remaining approx. 300ml for an extra layer on the tips. Any other suggestions?
- Let the kite dry for some good hrs lightly inflated
- Weigh the kite including/excluding lines and bar
- Check porosity on same locations.
- Video kite deformation measuring wind speed/steadyness
- Keeping track of some flight time, abuse and kite performance

I'm not in the possession of a porosity meter. As its not about the exact values but mostly about the difference before/after coating I could try to construct something myself but borrowing one would be nice :) I currently live in Amsterdam The Netherlands.

I know the kite should deform/dent while depowered. Unfortunately powering doesn't really help. It always looks like this or maybe worse (this is not my kite nor picture):
Flysurfer-Speed-4-Lotus-101.jpg

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Try to find a paragliding repairshop or a paragliding dealer or instructor, and I think they will help you to make a quick porosity check on your kite.
I would try the Skywalk dealer for examle. If you do the porosity test before and after, you will know how much you gained.

Return to “Foil Kites”