Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Project FS S3 19m overhaul

For all foil kite riders
Momo_13
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marseille, FR
Favorite Beaches: Marseille, FR
Style: Freeride, race, foil
Gear: Board : Ocean Rodeo Mako 150*35, Spotz 2013 foil , previously Cabrinha Raceboard 2011 183*59
Kite : Flysurfer Sonic1 11, Sonic2 9, Genetrix Hydra 8V5, Cronix 6. Previously Dyno 18 2011, Speed3 12, Speed2 10, Speed4 10, Speed4 8, Hydra 7 V4
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Project FS S3 19m overhaul

Postby Momo_13 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi, I am interested in your findings on how to restore your kite, as I also have a Speed3 19 CE which fly very bad : Kite takes forever to inflate fully, and as soon as I make a turn, the side of the kite deflates. So it needs 8 knot to fly, but this is allready what I need to go on a Sonic 11 + hydrofoil.
I tried putting a mixture of Silicon and solvent on my kite; it has improved thing but it's still not usable. I think I need to put more of it.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:57 pm

Are u sure its a problem with the kite fabric. honestly ive had kites that are more than 7 years old without any issues with the kite holding air. the only way i can see that is if u washed the kite with some kind of strong detergent that would havd affected the coating . Back in the day i have washed a few kites in the machine with just very little soap and they flew just fine afterwards. i didnt knw back then that u were not supposed to do that. but the kites flew just fine afterwards. Dont overthink these problems with your kite folks .May be u may have evn torn something on the inside from a hard crash. try to look through the air inlets and see if there is anything busted inside the kite.But most likely the bridles probally just are out of tune and need ro be adjusted. check your bar lenghts , check your line lenghts, check your bridle lenghts . before u go recoating kites.

Momo_13 wrote:Hi, I am interested in your findings on how to restore your kite, as I also have a Speed3 19 CE which fly very bad : Kite takes forever to inflate fully, and as soon as I make a turn, the side of the kite deflates. So it needs 8 knot to fly, but this is allready what I need to go on a Sonic 11 + hydrofoil.
I tried putting a mixture of Silicon and solvent on my kite; it has improved thing but it's still not usable. I think I need to put more of it.
Last edited by windrider1 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:00 pm

excessive tip tuck can be solved by adjusting the mixer. and by the way 8knts is not an unreasonable low end for a 19m speed. cause thts the min i need to get going and stay upwind on the 18m.

Kevin Brooker
Medium Poster
Style: snow
Gear: Home sewn
Has thanked: 0

Postby Kevin Brooker » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:52 am

Have you tried putting the kite and a few sneaker intio a clothes dryer set on no heat and just tumble? The sneakers should gently beat the cloth and remove the PU. The bridaling might become a tangled mess.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:07 am

The porosity of the fabric is a big issue for foils. I think Axel original postulated that it can cause tip tuck and other issues, and I am certain this is correct. The way I see it there is 2 issues a foil can get and they are the lines/bridles changing or the fabric changing. The bridles shrink and then I guess fabric can shrink or stretch and the coating and fabric wears and gets more holes in it. You can get obvious holes in the kite like 2-6 inch tears and then not so obvious like a 100 little pin holes.

Return to “Foil Kites”