Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot Foil Kite (is it really an Elf?) Update: Yes, it's an Elf

For all foil kite riders
styleito
Medium Poster
Style: ito
Gear: Too much and not enough
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot Foil Kite (is it really an Elf?)

Postby styleito » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:30 pm

Looks like a few seconds of it flying in this video.

https://vimeo.com/207738154

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:15 am

styleito wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:30 pm

What the hell did i just watch?
Someone clearly just used their argos card for a new phantom3/4 .
And the kite still looks like shit. (Of what tip tucking we saw)

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blackrat » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:47 am

I don't think it was a phantom ... Prolly a mavic

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:01 pm

You know, I'm actually impressed when an established brand is humble enough, and pragmatic, and sources a proven solution from another company that knows what it is doing instead if plowing tons of time and money into trying to catch up.

Foilfreddy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La Ventana and Hood River
Style: Strapless
Gear: Foil

Postby Foilfreddy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:55 am

socommk23 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:15 am
styleito wrote:

I was the one flying the kites in this video. The only reason the wing tip tucked was because the wind was blowing below 4 knots on the beach. The kite being ridden on the water is a 15 meter, and at this time, the wind was only around 6 knots. While foiling, not one time did the wing tip tuck at all. Don't trash talk a product until you get the chance to try it.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:45 am

Foilfreddy wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:55 am
socommk23 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:15 am
styleito wrote:

I was the one flying the kites in this video. The only reason the wing tip tucked was because the wind was blowing below 4 knots on the beach. The kite being ridden on the water is a 15 meter, and at this time, the wind was only around 6 knots. While foiling, not one time did the wing tip tuck at all. Don't trash talk a product until you get the chance to try it.
Keep ya hair on.
Im only trash talking the product based on what evidence has been provided. 1. It did tuck a tip. 2. It does look crap. The graphics are imo horrendous.

Besides that. Im sure as a kite it is a fine product. However its nothing new and i doubt its raising any bar on performance.

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy

Postby ragzilla » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:45 am

I would be expecting big things when this hits the market.

My views are probably biased.....
I don't foil , and really don't need and wouldn't buy a foil kite, and I know little to nothing about foil kite design etc.

But I'd still expect big things from this....
Slingy have a long reputation of being innovators (one pump system, Centre safety system, IRS bridle , and foil school)

Nobody can argue that their gear is tried & tested and really does do what it says.
You always know you're getting a quality product.
While so many companies try to bring new colourful kites on the market each year.... These guys take their time and only release something new when they have the formula right. Same tried & tested kites each year with minor tweaks.
While so many big brands jumped on the foil bandwagon 18 months ago and flooded the market.... Slingshot are still doing R&D ??
You could argue that they're playing catch up to the other companies..... maybe?
But I'm going to argue, that they're not going to release a foil kite until they know it's a podium winning kite.

Just think about it.....
You make some of the dialed & highly reputable kites on the market (fuel, rally, rpm) .... But then you're going to make a half arsed copycat foil kite?
I think not!!

Slingy don't play catch up!
Expect big things guys!!

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:11 am

ragzilla wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:45 am

I don't foil , and really don't need and wouldn't buy a foil kite, and I know little to nothing about foil kite design etc.

Slingy have a long reputation of being innovators (one pump system, Centre safety system, IRS bridle , and foil school)

Nobody can argue that their gear is tried & tested and really does do what it says.
While so many companies try to bring new colourful kites on the market each year.... These guys take their time and only release something new when they have the formula right. Same tried & tested kites each year with minor tweaks.
While so many big brands jumped on the foil bandwagon 18 months ago and flooded the market.... Slingshot are still doing R&D ??
You could argue that they're playing catch up to the other companies..... maybe?
But I'm going to argue, that they're not going to release a foil kite until they know it's a podium winning kite.

Just think about it.....
You make some of the dialed & highly reputable kites on the market (fuel, rally, rpm) .... But then you're going to make a half arsed copycat foil kite?
I think not!!

Expect big things guys!!
I expect this kite to cater to the freeride market similar to North rather than aggressively aim for the top of the podium, not that there is anything wrong with that as that's a bigger and easier market. They don't have a competitive race foil (even though their foils are great for freeride) so why make a race foil kite when ozone and fone are better positioned in many ways. Even Peter Lynn with many years of foil experience and many loyal foil kite riders has a challenge to sway the top of the podium to adopt their new design.

socommk23
Frequent Poster

Postby socommk23 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:57 am

ragzilla wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:45 am

Just think about it.....
I think not!!

Expect big things guys!!
I guess your right, you are bias. Ive flown a fuel and didnt think much of it. But unlike you i have flown and own foil kites. During the past few years of kiting ive watched on and taken part in the competative racing side of things, tried as many of the kites as possible, then bought my own f.one Diablo's. Ive watched the peter lynn team work hard on the aero development and raced against the finished product.
As far as foil kites go, i really cant see slingshot being inovative. I think that really they are just late to the party and jumping on the band wagon. Ok so their rnd is taking a bit of time, so maybe itll be better than the lf elite? But for racing i cant see them being anywhere near ozone or f.one or flysurfer. On top of that gin are going it alone (the ones responcible for the diablo along side f.one) and the aero is winning races left right and centre, it just needs to break the biggerfoil racing.
Now you may say that its aimed at "freestyle" which is a get out of jail free card, to say its good.....but not quite as good as the others. But at the spots i go to not even the foilboarders fly foil kites. Ive only met 2 others that fly foil kites and one is out of the country now. Im not sure how many "freestyle" kiters will go over to foil kites. The brudles and sizes usually put them off, let alone the need to be a better kiter to keep them flying. This makes the market for a freestyle foil kite extreemly limited.

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 am

anyone got any first hand news or review of this kite? I fly a chrono v2 15m which is great but would like something 11m and have the option to get one of these. No chance to try first and they seem pricey. Not a racer but love to blast fast.

Return to “Foil Kites”