Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Sonic 2

Postby foilholio » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:07 am

But Toby 99 kooks on the beach told me it is not possible to kite with a slow turning kite, how could they all be wrong? :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:33 am

Hahaha...good one!

I guess I must be wrong then....NOT !

Zkatez
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zuid Holland
Style: oldschool
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zkatez » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:18 pm

I am also thinking of trying the Sonic2 18m this year. I am also afraid, It might be a little too slow for my style and purpose. I am 80 kg. The video by Skywalker7 is making me think of going for the 18m. I tried the speed5 18m once and was surprised by directness and turning for an 18. Before that, I was convinced of not going bigger then 15m.The speed5 is very different in barfeel and handling then a sonic (differences seem less in the bigger sizes). With my style of barhandling I find the sonic1 easier to late loop with one hand on the bar, than the speed5. Am I the only one? Speed5 is more responsive more playful, but sonic goes through the loop easier with more consistent pull. I hope they bring these two characteristics to getter in one foilkite.
Anyone give the 18m a try yet? Toby?

Zkatez
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zuid Holland
Style: oldschool
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zkatez » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:20 pm

In my view it all fits together, no disagreeing necessary. If your experience is different than someone else, it is mostly because you are in different circumstances or using your equipment different. That is also the case for many other topics imo.
Most people like responsiveness. Beginners do, because its faster to correct (little mistakes). But at a certain point you might choose to progress in a certain style.
At that point it all comes down to: circumstances, what do you want to do and what is your level and style. Certain tricks are easier to do with an slow turning kite and others with a fast turner (or other characteristics). Although there is a lot of overlap in the style of Dimitri and Toby, their kites will limit what they can do. Dimitri with his more dynamic style and Toby's style is more hangtime orientated. When Toby says you can progress faster and saver with slow kites, he is mainly talking about airstyle ( although slow is also good for your first backroll, as said). Toby has progressed his style, focused on hangtime and wants to pay as little as possible attention to bar handling. Especially when you choose to go for tricks with long hangtime and often with one hand holding the bar down, it will be a lot easier when your kite is not too quick to fly forward again. Learning Dimitri's style definitely involves more risk, more beatings (you have to be a little nuts I guess (;). I am 57 and a bit more careful and found Toby's advise very useful. I am still progressing. Here is a link to see my style and what I like to do. This Part 2 is done with sonic15 and speed5 12m and part 1 is mainly tubes 11 and 18m, you can see the differences.
https://youtu.be/JA6E1RDzJBA

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm also curious how the sonic 2 18m compares to the sonic fr 18m. The 18m sonic fr is by far my favorite kite.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Sonic2 18m vs. SonicFR 18m

Postby Nem0 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Return to “Foil Kites”