Custom bar idea?

For all foil kite riders
revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Custom bar idea?

Postby revhed » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:44 am

Just saw an ultra minimalist RAM AIR (RA) Kite bar.
A carbon tube with a center trim loop hole and holes on each side for steering lines, nothing more.
Gave me an idea that may or not be a good one worth testing?
What if a "pull loops" were attached to both steering lines on the near side of the bar routed through 2 smooth holes?
So instead of having to grab and pull the steering lines after the bar, one could affect control via loops before the bar?
These could be used to self backstall land and maybe even better to inverted H20 relaunch?
And as I think now maybe also used a the wind window edge down turn save by pulling the to enhance the turn?
Also possible to grab only one and quick release with the other hand to do a steering line flag out.
Has anyone already seen, done this and ideas please.
R H

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Custom bar idea?

Postby foilholio » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 am

It's been done see Slingshot oh shit handles. The reason you reach up to grab the lines for reversing is because you can pull on more of them like that.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Custom bar idea?

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 pm

revhed wrote:Just saw an ultra minimalist RAM AIR (RA) Kite bar.
A carbon tube with a center trim loop hole and holes on each side for steering lines, nothing more.
Gave me an idea that may or not be a good one worth testing?
What if a "pull loops" were attached to both steering lines on the near side of the bar routed through 2 smooth holes?
So instead of having to grab and pull the steering lines after the bar, one could affect control via loops before the bar?
These could be used to self backstall land and maybe even better to inverted H20 relaunch?
And as I think now maybe also used a the wind window edge down turn save by pulling the to enhance the turn?
Also possible to grab only one and quick release with the other hand to do a steering line flag out.
Has anyone already seen, done this and ideas please.
R H
What you're describing sounds comparable to a brake strap spliced to the rear lines above the bar. The disadvantage of having running lines going through the bar would be in a situation where one of them gets snagged and doesn't smoothly run through the hole, creating a rear line length imbalance that might cause uncontrolled looping.

Return to “Foil Kites”