Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: :)

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:23 pm

foilholio wrote:Shut up kami.
Whoop, already lost the original post, 3 times over...took his ball and went home :lol:

More power to you...I'm glad you got the time, inclination, and the sense of humor to meddle, cos I just can't be bothered any more. I like things working right straight out of the bag/off the showroom floor.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitexpert » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:23 pm

There might be some issues with cell shape/skin tension, but I don't know if wing is too unclean. Some pictures look ok. But of course it doesn't look like on par with "real" race kites.

I wouldn't doubt the sewing work at all, Pansh uses modern machinery and for sure their employees are hard working professionals. But working culture, quality control and probably materials are not quite there yet?... Also I see some less than up to date design details in every Pansh kite.

In Aeolus wingtips are unusually narrow. Aerodynamical gain is small, if there is any. Effect to turning suffers and to bridle reasonably so narrow wingtips may be problematic. Canopy curve is quite flat, which also make turns slower but of course give some more projected area. Having more curve gives some more tension to upper skin so it becomes cleaner. Turns become faster and "rounder". Because of these benefits I prefer kites with more canopy curve.

Picture referring "The internal optimal strapping " at the website looks nice but it seems not the one Aeolus has :) So difficult to say what there is inside of Aeolus, but probably enough support knowing their earlier kites.

BTW, it is interesting to see Chrono V2 is not very ambitiously designed in this respect, it has only simple spanwise straps. So every other rib has no support at all. But because cell count is so high this quite primitive choice produces acceptable result, and of course Ozone has cell shape very well controlled.

Lack of miniribs is at least a bit strange, knowing Pansh has used them in lower performance kites. Air intakes in pairs is a choice hard to explain.

Cell count 46 is on the lower side for AR 7. It equals quite near what FS uses in Speeds, 39 to 41 cells and AR 5.8 to 6.1. So, it is ok and near Sonics cell count.

The bridle looks best designed I have seen so far from Pansh. There is one detail which could be done better, but as a whole I don't see much to improve. I don't know about the bridle line lenghts though.

I'm very sure this kite has high performance (upwind, hang time), higher than in any LEI or Speeds. But how is the handling and how near is performance compared to other race kites, it is the question. It asks some bravery to invest near 1000 $ for this kind of kite which may be difficult to use and very probably needs some tuning.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:56 am

Kamikuza wrote:
foilholio wrote:Shut up kami.
Whoop, already lost the original post, 3 times over...took his ball and went home :lol:

More power to you...I'm glad you got the time, inclination, and the sense of humor to meddle, cos I just can't be bothered any more. I like things working right straight out of the bag/off the showroom floor.

Glad you got the humor :D . It is now well known pansh can need some work out of the bag, but most reports from the A15 and Aurora2 are that they were pretty good. My A15 was fine out the bag and all my efforts to alter it were to improve further, and to be honest I do similar to flysurfers, but they seem already well tuned unless they get old, as well pansh being so cheap I don't worry as much about major alterations, I am even thinking of cutting up my Genesis and turning it into a part singleskin. If you do want to get a little more involved with foils and their bridles etc , sort of a part way to building a kite I think Pansh can be really good for that. They could easily become a much more user friendy brand by updating their existing models with defects i.e. the Genesis and being more open and using contacts available to them like here with people who have their kites and fixed them. I can't understand why simple design changes can't make it back upstream.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:37 am

kitexpert wrote:It asks some bravery to invest near 1000 $ for this kind of kite which may be difficult to use and very probably needs some tuning.
That pretty much sums it up. Given the asking price I have serious doubts it will get far in this round, but having a high performance model shows the brand has ambitions. Since they are not stocking these, they are in only for R&D cost.
For me, price like this is way out of my comfort zone. Especially when combined with their basically non-existent customer service.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Pansh is the kiting version of Trabant!

:P :lol: :P :lol: :P

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 pm

@ Mossy
Not many people would have gotten that joke ; unless Ya gave-up the link !! :D :thumb:
In the early 70's, i use to see those cars, scurrying about, like Rats, on the other side
of that famous wall in Germany ; they mostly had Stasi agents inside ! :lol:

Bille

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rufusz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:39 pm

lol Mossy my uncle used to have one of those badboys...
We called it "Paper Jaguar" :D

But seriously the Trabant was not so bad, the Dacia 1310 however was so unreliable that there are rumors saying its better to take apart the whole car when brand new and re-assemble again...so it wil last longer :)
Last edited by Rufusz on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:42 pm

I had a buddy from Bulgaria who bought one for $200 US, drove it for 3 years, put a new plywood body on it and sold it for $500.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Analogy is not without merit, Mossy. Trabi, aside of its awful exhaust fumes from two stroke engine, had character though. I liked station wagon version. At one time I toyed with idea to convert one into electric vehicle. I'm sure there are plenty conversions out there.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:48 am

borist wrote: ...
At one time I toyed with idea to convert one into electric vehicle. I'm sure there are plenty conversions out there.
Electric ?? OH HELL NO . :nono:
I'm a red-neck from Maryland , and I'd put a 350 small-block Chevy in her ; then
have a BLAST with Mustangs, and Dodge Chargers, at red-lights !!! :lol:

Bille

Return to “Foil Kites”