Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best closed cell foil for a beginner?

For all foil kite riders
Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Re: Best closed cell foil for a beginner?

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:36 pm

In terms of all around performance, you cannot go wrong with the Chrono V2 or the Speed 5. Very similar animals and just great kites in a variety of conditions. For a bit sportier ride, the R1 or Sonic2 are a step above and although they require a bit more attention compared to the lower AR Chrono or Speeds, they are really amazing fun to ride. But they are a hell of a hit to the wallet.

Bang for the buck the Matrixx 2 is also a good option. Fast turning and light bar pressure though in my experience it doesn't cope as well in turbulent conditions as the other kites I've mentioned.

Pansh, another nice flying kite (more so these days than in the past) and super inexpensive. Not sure if the long term durability is there like it is in the other kites mentioned and definitely little resale value if you decide to upgrade. The other kites you get some of that investment back. Even after years of use.

If looking second hand, For my tastes I really like the Ozone R1. As much as I like the light weight of the Sonic and R1 V2, I like the durability of the R1 V1. Sonics are still great kites and can be found for pretty short $. Chrono V1, seem harder to find these days. Speed 4s are great, Speed 3, not so much. Matrixx 1, I'd avoid at this point unless it's stupid cheap. Matrixx 2 on the other hand is an awesome kite for all round use but goes upwind about the same as a Speed 4.

As Socommk said, they need to be flown "well". High performance kites are like high performance anything. It takes skill to really get the performance out of them. Practice makes perfect. And as many will complain about high AR foils and bowties etc.., much of it is a matter of recognizing when there is going to be an issue and heading it off before it happens. I ride mostly Chronos and R1s in winds that many people wouldn't bother. I've had 3 bowties this season, out of probably 70 sessions. And all of them were while the kites were down on the ground and low on air. Wind shifts roll them over and they twist up. I blame my inattention.

Lot of really good kites out there.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:22 am

There is some really helpful advice and input in this thread. Thank you.

I am a long-time tube kite junkie, looking at a Sonic or Chrono 15-18 for airstyle (more float) and light wind sessions. I don't hydrofoil.

I am still struggling with the cost of these kites. A used Sonic or Chrono V1 costs a huge sum. I get that there are added manufacturing costs compared to a tube kite, but honestly cost is the reason I'm so slow to take the plunge. I am absolutely convinced that a Sonic 2 would be great for my riding, but I just can't see that happening financially. Not complaining.....just an observation. :(

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:44 am

FLandOBX wrote:There is some really helpful advice and input in this thread. Thank you.

I am a long-time tube kite junkie, looking at a Sonic or Chrono 15-18 for airstyle (more float) and light wind sessions. I don't hydrofoil.

I am still struggling with the cost of these kites. A used Sonic or Chrono V1 costs a huge sum. I get that there are added manufacturing costs compared to a tube kite, but honestly cost is the reason I'm so slow to take the plunge. I am absolutely convinced that a Sonic 2 would be great for my riding, but I just can't see that happening financially. Not complaining.....just an observation. :(
When you look at them you can see there's a lot mor material and time that goes into them. But still a hard pill to swallow.

Get an eye out for racers dumping for next years model. They are as cheep as chips.

Return to “Foil Kites”