Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sand-out holes for Chrono trailing edge

For all foil kite riders
Slyde
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Sand-out holes for Chrono trailing edge

Postby Slyde » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:18 am

Been trying to get the sand out of the trailing edge of my V2 Chrono. After ALOT of effort I can confirm that no amount of hosing, blowing or otherwise will get all the sand out unless it is very fine sand. One good swim in through a bit of beach wash is going to get gunk in the trailing edge.
A few small holes melted in with a fine soldering iron does the trick. Then you can hose it out or just fly it and the sand will come out. I placed the holes right where the seams fold over. You need to be careful to only melt the outer canvas until you have a hole into the seam void. A small hole is all you need. Doesn't seem to have caused any issues with durability.
If Ozone are reading this issue needs to be addressed, maybe glue the seam, then stitch??
IMG_1549.JPG

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Sand-out holes for Chrono trailing edge

Postby plummet » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:58 am

Good idea. I've been contemplating something similar. Will get off my arse and do it now.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:05 am

Great idea. I'll have to try this on my r1v1 kites. I wonder how many grams of sand build up?

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 am

Slyde wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:18 am
Been trying to get the sand out of the trailing edge of my V2 Chrono. After ALOT of effort I can confirm that no amount of hosing, blowing or otherwise will get all the sand out unless it is very fine sand. One good swim in through a bit of beach wash is going to get gunk in the trailing edge.
A few small holes melted in with a fine soldering iron does the trick. Then you can hose it out or just fly it and the sand will come out. I placed the holes right where the seams fold over. You need to be careful to only melt the outer canvas until you have a hole into the seam void. A small hole is all you need. Doesn't seem to have caused any issues with durability.
If Ozone are reading this issue needs to be addressed, maybe glue the seam, then stitch??IMG_1549.JPG
What diameter hole please? And when you say "outer Canvas" Do you mean the back side of the canopy?
When I look carefully at your photo it looks like you melted all the way thru from the front as we see a bridal pig tail?
THANKS! :thumb: :D
I hope R D G and maybe Plummet will also share just what they will or have done?
R H

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 am

You need to make the rear seam fold into a little tube by rolling it between your finger and thumb. Then make a 2-3 mm hole in the outer crease of the trailing edge that only goes through into the void of the tube you have created. That way the sand can get out. The photo shows two tiny holes in the edge of the trailing edge. It's very simple to do.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Slyde wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 am
You need to make the rear seam fold into a little tube by rolling it between your finger and thumb. Then make a 2-3 mm hole in the outer crease of the trailing edge that only goes through into the void of the tube you have created. That way the sand can get out. The photo shows two tiny holes in the edge of the trailing edge. It's very simple to do.
THANKS! :thumb: :D
Got it, off to first time in my life "solder melt" holes in kite material.
R H

Return to “Foil Kites”