Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

using 5th line Pansh A15 15m

Postby opie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Since my first foil kite is almost here I am reviewing the videos and I have a couple questions about landing with the 5th line in higher winds.
In the videos they backstall the kite to the ground first, then hit the release. Why not just hit the release at 12:00?
And 2nd question: When people suggest lowering kite to side of window, then backstall to ground, how low do they mean? In the Ozone video it looked like it was pretty high when he backstalled it, but I always imagined people meant lower until there is a wingtip on the ground, then backstall to ground, then hit release.
Thanks

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Re: using 5th line Pansh A15 15m

Postby socommk23 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 pm

In high winds on your own bring the kite to the edge of the window with tip on the ground then pull backlines hard to backstall onyo the ground. Or get help to hold the tip and walk towards the kite. In lightwinds you can backstall from 12 but be commited as it will take some strength if a gust occurs. Personally i never used the 5th line on my aurora2. Took it straight off and use a 4 line airush bar.
If you need to use the release to land, something is wrong.

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Been thanked: 0

Re: using 5th line Pansh A15 15m

Postby opie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:30 am

Thanks. I hope I never need the 5th line but I am keeping it while I learn. Today I backstalled from 12 at 13 kts and it went okay but its good to know what to do if I get caught in high winds.

Return to “Foil Kites”