mutant
Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebel 10m and 7m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What bar do you recommend

Postby mutant » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Although I have many years experience I am relatively inexperienced with foil kites so with tha in mind I have 2 questions

1. Do you recommend using same manufacturers bar with your foil?
2. If not what bar do you suggest and are there any key things to look for

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: What bar do you recommend

Postby jakemoore » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Depends on the kite.

The Flysurfer line attachments are nice with less sleeved junk to tangle but not compatible with Kook-proof. You would have to make pig-tails or cut and splice line ends to mate a different bar with a Flysurfer kite.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:50 pm

The only foil kite I'd be a little suspicious of with a general purpose low-Y bar is the North, they use the high Y and the kites might be setup to need that for stability.

Otherwise, you can use any bar that has a low Y and equal length lines when fully powered up. I like the Ozone foil control bars because the depower geometry is very ergonomic and I want/need the long race style depower system to allow better body posture when riding. If you're doing more freestyle stuff I can see the long depower getting in the way and going with a regular general purpose trimmer.

Cabrinha makes a good race bar as well, as do companies like SK Shapes that make custom carbon race bars.

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:50 pm
If you're doing more freestyle stuff I can see the long depower getting in the way and going with a regular general purpose trimmer.
The Ozone bar has my interest, could I just change out the long depower rope for a shorter one if it's in the way too much?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:48 pm

opie wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:00 pm
Mossy 757 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:50 pm
If you're doing more freestyle stuff I can see the long depower getting in the way and going with a regular general purpose trimmer.
The Ozone bar has my interest, could I just change out the long depower rope for a shorter one if it's in the way too much?
You could definitely shorten it, yeah. You can do the same thing with the Cabrinha trimlite stuff...they make a normal trimlite bar that can be converted to a race bar if you want/need more depower.

Jerome Bonieux
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Pointe D'esny
Favorite Beaches: Pointe D'esny, Le Morne
Style: Foil / Strapless / Wakestyle / Big Air
Gear: Evo 2020 / Dice 2020 / Jaime txtreme 2020 138cm / 2020 Pro Wam 5'5" / Click bar S and M / Daytona DOS / Indy / Capa 9,11,15m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone Kiteboarding

Postby Jerome Bonieux » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm

The North Click bar of course!
It suits the foil kites so well since they have really little tension on the steering lines.
Clean, super long throw but still have a stopper in case you don't want your bar to go too far.
Set your V all the way down if you want or there are three higher options in case you want to experiments other settings.
comes with 2m extensions so you can extends them the lighter days.
For most modern race foil kite I recommend either getting a new set of shorter lines made or cutting the click bar lines.
That is what I have done. In case you choose to cut them, remember to cut from the bottom, so into the thicker pre-lines.
Never one single twist in your front lines even after all your tacks, gybes, rotations etc!
You will never go back to a normal bar ;)
check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYinfyS4MPs

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Jerome Bonieux wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm
The North Click bar of course!
That's probably a great option if you want to pay the same amount for a bar that you'd pay for a brand new board.

Return to “Foil Kites”