Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

Postby coffeeking » Wed May 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi Folks,

I learned on early Arcs in ~2004 and haven't bought a new kite since 2008 but I've been looking at upgrading to new kit recently. I've been considering a few options including some modern bows but I kinda miss the floaty locked in power of a foil, I'm just a bit out of the loop with sizing, depower and maybe sanity so I'm gathering opinions from users.

I'm a heavy 240lbs currently (getting lighter but won't ever be <200) and don't really want it for a light wind kite (would be a bonus), but I have a range of boards from 120TT to 180cm celeritas which might help at the low end. I do have local winds in the region of 12-30kts, often gusting 8kts in any situation, and a few tight launching spots with grassy or very lumpy line paths.

I'd been considering the 12m to start with as it seems this will cover the bulk of the range I need (almost a one kite quiver with the board options) from the FS tables but some users suggest launching it toward the upper end would be a no-go (worrying in gusts) and that maybe the low end isn't as usable as the tables suggest either. I've been taken out by a gusty downwind launch of one of the original 1120 Arcs (lofted a LONG way!) and I've been tied in knots with edge launches and front line safety jams too, I've a hefty respect for them and gotten lazy with LEIs being able to be thrown up in any conditions and easily self launched/landed. I know pre-inflation helps but if you don't get it fully pre-inflated and it heads downwind in 25kts I'll probably end up a field away on road!

Does anyone have any opinions from a similar position on the realistic wind ranges and how hard it is to launch in the upper end?

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Re: FS Speed5 q's - launch in high wind, realistic wind range

Postby Brian H » Wed May 03, 2017 11:06 pm

I've launched my 12m speed 3 in 25 kts of wind in a big open beach when other riders are out on 7m kites , tons of fun to boost to the moon but I wouldn't want to self land it in that kind of wind.

coffeeking
Medium Poster

Postby coffeeking » Wed May 03, 2017 11:21 pm

Hmm ok, reasonable point.

Bit tricky as I'll often be solo riding and obviously won't have much choice with regards landing. With arcs I just safety released to flag it out but I'm a bit worried I'll damage the bridles on an FS?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu May 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Solo landing will be much harder than solo launching in those winds. Not super difficult with experience and maybe a post/tree/anchor to assist in the landing.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:22 pm

The realistic windrange on a speed 5 is like 14 to 22knts on a twintip. you can get less with bigger boards probally 12knts. but at 25 knts i think ure just holding on for dear life. i have noticed that i can go dwn from 12 to my 8m speed 4 at 20knts + so thts a good thing as i dont need a 10m anymore. launching is never really a problem its landing in the top of the windrange that can be alot to handel. it just depends on your comfort level me personally i dont like that feeling as u dont knw when things can go wrong. i have had 2 experience with kites at the top of their windrange and its just asking for trouble .

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 pm

coffeeking
Medium Poster

Postby coffeeking » Fri May 05, 2017 1:57 pm

windrider1 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 6:22 pm
The realistic windrange on a speed 5 is like 14 to 22knts on a twintip. you can get less with bigger boards probally 12knts. but at 25 knts
Ok, that's surprising. I can get out on a TT with my 9 waroo in 16ish and hold it to 30+ so for a foil that claims to be high depower, 8kts range seems a bit poor? I know we are kind of comparing apples and oranges but it's tough to judge. I might end up just buying one to try at this rate!

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:10 pm

coffeeking wrote:Ok, that's surprising. I can get out on a TT with my 9 waroo in 16ish and hold it to 30+ so for a foil that claims to be high depower, 8kts range seems a bit poor?
Everyone measures wind differently. I've ridden both kites. I can assure you, the 12m Speed 5 has much more than 2 knots better low end than a 9m waroo :thumb:

The speed 5 is a really nice user friendly kite. I never used the old arcs, but I don't think you have to worry about being pulled downwind on launch like you described.

That said, I think foils really outperform LEI kites in the bigger sizes. In higher winds I don't think there's much of an advantage. If you're getting just one foil, id make it your biggest kite (15m or larger).

You can safely self land a foil in over 20 kts of wind by releasing to a single line, but it usually flops around a few times. Its not going to damage the bridles, but it will probably be a tangled mess (at least it always is for me).

coffeeking
Medium Poster

Postby coffeeking » Sun May 07, 2017 6:40 pm

OK, thanks for the discussion folks. much appreciated.

I've decided to take the plunge and pick up a nearly new 12 and see if it covers most of my normal wind range where I'm floating somewhere between the 9 roo and 13.5 yarga on most days.

In really low wind I'll probably not bother doing anything other than switching boards or doing some MTBing instead, in high winds I'll probably chicken out for now.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the feel of a foil - let's see if my nostalgia is well justified or if it's back up for sale in a few months :)

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:23 pm

I flew foil kites for more than 10 years as a landboarder then picked up kitesurfing and learned on LEI's. One day it was nuking and I took out a small foil kite as I had no leis to cover that range at the time and had a amazing session . I had a big nostalgia /lightbulb moment that day and never went back to an lei after that. I realized how much I missed that light steady and constant pull along with the easy setup . Leis are great and have their advantages especially if ure learning or like doing insane tricks but for everyday ease of use give me a foil kite.

coffeeking wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 6:40 pm
OK, thanks for the discussion folks. much appreciated.

I've decided to take the plunge and pick up a nearly new 12 and see if it covers most of my normal wind range where I'm floating somewhere between the 9 roo and 13.5 yarga on most days.

In really low wind I'll probably not bother doing anything other than switching boards or doing some MTBing instead, in high winds I'll probably chicken out for now.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the feel of a foil - let's see if my nostalgia is well justified or if it's back up for sale in a few months :)

Return to “Foil Kites”