Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer sonic Race

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Love my Sonic FR 18 and Sonic2 11 but I'm kinda pissed how quick they are putting out these new models. FLYSURFER has always been good about keeping a good design for awhile and not update without major changes. I find it hard believe that they didn't already have these designs ready for the last two versions. I also thought that they were now on a 2 year cycle. Is there going to be two versions of the Sonic then?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Racers want to win. Still have a great kite if its a year old. I'm glad the 3 gallery concept of Speed 4 Deluxe is back and my guess is the development is more challenging that we know considering they did not scale up the Speed 4 Deluxe.

I'd like to see a Psycho5 myself.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:45 pm

Adventure Logs wrote: Love my Sonic FR 18 and Sonic2 11 but I'm kinda pissed how quick they are putting out these new models. FLYSURFER has always been good about keeping a good design for awhile and not update without major changes. I find it hard believe that they didn't already have these designs ready for the last two versions. I also thought that they were now on a 2 year cycle. Is there going to be two versions of the Sonic then?
I know! When I bought a full quiver of Sonic 2's the message was, this is it for 2 years for the Sonic. Then a few months later Sonic Race! Isn't that a new Sonic? No, that's a seperate model, it doesn't replace the Sonic 2, so the Sonic 2 is on a 2 year cycle as promised :lol:

Oh well, I do really love the Sonic 2's so I'm not too upset. Especially that 18m lately in the light summer months. That thing is solid in the sky no matter what happens. Often I get off the water with that thing to find there is just no wind at all on the beach, and I really can't believe I made it back again without a swim :thumb:

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mig27 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:39 pm

The Sonic Race is not the 3rd generation of the Sonic! It is a separate product line, next to the Sonic2.

The R1 V3 has been taken of the market recently by Ozone itself, so V2 is still it.
An official released Diablo3 is not there yet. And still F-one sells the cheaper (less expensive fits better) V1 next to the Diablo2, because of it's high price

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:07 pm

mig27 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:39 pm
The Sonic Race is not the 3rd generation of the Sonic! It is a separate product line, next to the Sonic2.

The R1 V3 has been taken of the market recently by Ozone itself, so V2 is still it.
An official released Diablo3 is not there yet. And still F-one sells the cheaper (less expensive fits better) V1 next to the Diablo2, because of it's high price
Perhaps a separate product deserves a different name then to prevent confusion.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:07 pm
mig27 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:39 pm

Perhaps a separate product deserves a different name then to prevent confusion.
I am no marketeer, but fully I agree on that point!
Nevertheless the Sonic Race is not called the 3, and does fit the relation to the SonicFR and 2.

Ozone did something similar with the Chrono V1 being the first iteration of the R1 family.
The Chrono V2 is a totally different kite. Like the Sonic versus the Speed.
I know people who bought the V2's and were dissapointed.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:40 am

mig27 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:22 pm
I know people who bought the V2's and were dissapointed.
Either you buy a kite for non competitive use or for racing.
Why would you be disappointed with what you have if you do not use it competitively? If the kite functions well go out and have fun.!

If you use it for racing you probably now the IKA rules.... In which case I would guess you fully understand why each brand brings out new kites as often as they can as they want to sell the quickest kites on the market. (Or loose market very quickly) You would probably cheer for the innovation your brand is bringing...

And then there are people for which only the newest is good enough.... Go buy cars instead of kites I would suggest.... A much better way to quickly get rid of your cash...

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 pm

A lot of people become brand loyal, especially with foil kites and their specialized control bars being more expensive. It sucks to think you're buying into the premium race model of the brand (because that's what the brand tells you you're doing) only to find out that you bought into the "amateur" race model, not the "pro race" model.

I feel like saying, "Look, guys, I'll buy any damned kite you make...just let me know which one you're selling me!!!"

gwicke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bellingham, WA, USA
Gear: Mostly race gear. Foil kites.

Postby gwicke » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:21 am

One trade-off with latest-gen race kites like the Sonic Race is that they have been quite aggressively optimized for weight, which comes at the cost of some robustness in crashes. While the Sonic Race does not seem to suffer from the exploding rib syndrome of the Ozone R1v2 (more ribs and better rib design help), it still has another failure mode I have seen on the Diablo 2 as well. The horizontal straps & bottom skin near the innermost A attachment can break at the seam. I think this happens especially when hitting the water asymmetrically, which bends the kite back & adds extra strain at the A level.

Stronger straps would be great in both kites, as the extra light bottom fabric can't absorb as much load. In the meantime, I added small ripstop tape reinforcements across the seams next to the innermost A attachments on my Diablo. The plain seams used along rib edges on foil kites tend to reduce strength by ~50% relative to the raw fabric, so anything that adds some strength across the seam should help.
reinforcement.jpg

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:08 am

The Flysurfer kites have little sacrificial bridle attachments called "Little Connection Lines", at least that is what they are called in the spare parts page.

I had a few of these pop on my 21m Lotus one time when I crashed it in the water after the wind picked up. They worked perfect and the kite was still like new. They come in three different strengths and are color coded.

I have been seeing some Sonic Race pictures on Facebook and Instagram, come on guys, tell us more. We want to know all the details. How do they fly?

Return to “Foil Kites”