Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New foil from Ozone

For all foil kite riders
Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: New foil from Ozone

Postby Frank Rosin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 am
Frank Rosin wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:00 pm
early bird2 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:56 pm
Thanks for the review Frank ! I meant drift water launch when there is no beach .
Should be relatively reliable possible.
I already had some thoughts in this direction (related to the Hyperlink), there are some spots that are no real spots ;)
Hi Frank,
also thanks to your reviews and videos, hope to get it in hand this weekend, but not sure. Still not sure if ordering blind the 5 m² or going for another brand with a smaller model.

- Maybe you can produce a video of a first water launch in the deep as I have done with a breast cam? Maybe also pushing some liters of water into the valve to see how well the kite is able to push it out.
In your video https://www.famousfrank.de/2017/07/05/o ... aunch-test
it seems to be pretty much wind and also feet on the ground, no water coming in, ... so not so high challenge for relaunch, isn't it? Would be nice if you have the possibility, know it is some effort and for sure also not so important for small kites, but in fact I also have done drift launch with small foils in the past.
- As you now have better feeling about windrange: Would you expect an experienced 62 kg could stay more or less relaxed on the water in a gust till max. 40 knts with the 5 m²? I know it is much speculation doing extrapolation from 9 to 5 m² but what is your feeling? It was possible with my old 6 m² PS4 but this had very low power per size.

Thanks

Agree, feet on ground can help a lot when trying to relaunch. But actually I was trying to keep the kite in the water for a bit longer, also tried to have water getting in, with only minimal success. The little water that came in drained quick and easy.
I had two situations dropping the kite basically in the middle of a lake, possibly because I was messing around with maneuvers a bit much because I may have become a little overconfident with the Hyperlink, but no problem, the Hyperlink relaunched within seconds. I can not relaunch any other kite I used as quick and easy. This is my experience to date.
I am not saying that there won't ever be situations being more tricky or worst case not possible to relaunch, but that is the case with any kite really.

With the 12m Hyperlink I had one session that wasn't really a session, almost no wind, partly it felt like the kite staying in the air only because I was swimming (away from beach in onshore conditions). Twice it also dropped backwards on the water, as it would simply not rise again from the side of the window, both times I expected it to be the end of my attempt to get to ride still, but both times I could easily get it back up by pulling the frontlines. This was while swimming in deep water.
I only managed to ride three tacks that session. I would have not been able to do the same with any other kite I got in the conditions that day.
Long story... may say something to you possibly. It was impressive enough for myself to swim around for quite some time. Just because it was possible.

Yesterday I gave the 9m HL a go when I normally would have been in the Edge 7 or 5m. It was quite gusty, 20-30kts. It worked fine.
If I had to choose just one kite I could have,it would be the 9m HL at the moment, wouldn't miss many sessions.
I am 85kg by the way. Hydrofoiling only.

Hard to say what that means for the 5m. Would prefer to report after riding it. But would guess it works well in quite strong winds, potentially quite early too. (heard something about boosting on prototype with twintip in 20knots)
I will find out as soon as it arrives.
Very keen on both, 5 and 7.
Expecting a lot.

Cheers
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Frank Rosin wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:59 pm
Horst Sergio wrote:
Frank Rosin wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Should be relatively reliable possible.
I already had some thoughts in this direction (related to the Hyperlink), there are some spots that are no real spots ;)
Hi Frank,
also thanks to your reviews and videos, hope to get it in hand this weekend, but not sure. Still not sure if ordering blind the 5 m² or going for another brand with a smaller model.

- Maybe you can produce a video of a first water launch in the deep as I have done with a breast cam? Maybe also pushing some liters of water into the valve to see how well the kite is able to push it out.
it seems to be pretty much wind and also feet on the ground, no water coming in, ... so not so high challenge for relaunch, isn't it? Would be nice if you have the possibility, know it is some effort and for sure also not so important for small kites, but in fact I also have done drift launch with small foils in the past.
- As you now have better feeling about windrange: Would you expect an experienced 62 kg could stay more or less relaxed on the water in a gust till max. 40 knts with the 5 m²? I know it is much speculation doing extrapolation from 9 to 5 m² but what is your feeling? It was possible with my old 6 m² PS4 but this had very low power per size.

Thanks

Agree, feet on ground can help a lot when trying to relaunch. But actually I was trying to keep the kite in the water for a bit longer, also tried to have water getting in, with only minimal success. The little water that came in drained quick and easy.
I had two situations dropping the kite basically in the middle of a lake, possibly because I was messing around with maneuvers a bit much because I may have become a little overconfident with the Hyperlink, but no problem, the Hyperlink relaunched within seconds. I can not relaunch any other kite I used as quick and easy. This is my experience to date.
I am not saying that there won't ever be situations being more tricky or worst case not possible to relaunch, but that is the case with any kite really.

With the 12m Hyperlink I had one session that wasn't really a session, almost no wind, partly it felt like the kite staying in the air only because I was swimming (away from beach in onshore conditions). Twice it also dropped backwards on the water, as it would simply not rise again from the side of the window, both times I expected it to be the end of my attempt to get to ride still, but both times I could easily get it back up by pulling the frontlines. This was while swimming in deep water.
I only managed to ride three tacks that session. I would have not been able to do the same with any other kite I got in the conditions that day.
Long story... may say something to you possibly. It was impressive enough for myself to swim around for quite some time. Just because it was possible.

Yesterday I gave the 9m HL a go when I normally would have been in the Edge 7 or 5m. It was quite gusty, 20-30kts. It worked fine.
If I had to choose just one kite I could have,it would be the 9m HL at the moment, wouldn't miss many sessions.

Hard to say what that means for the 5m. Would prefer to report after riding it. But would guess it works well in quite strong winds, potentially quite early too. (heard something about boosting on prototype with twintip in 20knots)
Expecting a lot.

Cheers
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
This sounds pretty epic man! Do you have them in stock yet?

Also how would you compare boost hangtime of say a 13 Edge to a 12 Hyperlink? Similar? Can hyperlink be used for airstyle like an edge for example if not foiling?

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:42 pm

No personal experience regarding jumping as riding/foiling strapless only.
But heard that it does offer good boosting qualities.
Got 12 and 9 in stock and ordered more of them.
7 for testing and stock soon to hit. 5 is a bit further away still.

Cheers Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Litsupplyco wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:08 pm
Frank Rosin wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:59 pm
Horst Sergio wrote:

Hi Frank,

Thanks

Expecting a lot.

Cheers
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
This sounds pretty epic man! Do you have them in stock yet?

Also how would you compare boost hangtime of say a 13 Edge to a 12 Hyperlink? Similar? Can hyperlink be used for airstyle like an edge for example if not foiling?

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:55 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:58 am
Horst Sergio wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:00 pm
Hi Gunnar,

have you already tested the 5 m² or can you in general say something about highend, stability, drainage...

Thanks
Hi Dude.

I only have the 9m. But it is awesome :-) I am uploading my VLOG about my first impression as we speak. So most of the questions will be answered there.

But to answer the question on high end:

--
Gunnar
Hey Gunnar can you compare the 12 Hyperlink to 13 Edge at all? Airstyle abilities hangtime etc?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Unfortunately not. I don't have a 12m Hyperlink yet.

--
Gunnar

kite-pics
Rare Poster
Gear: Core, Spotz2, Ozone, Horue H13, Christoff Foil - Custom
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby kite-pics » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi,
hangtime and boost are just great. For me it´ s a funmachine - perfekt for freeriding.
cu
Stefan
ps: And yes - I owen more than one R1V2 ;-)

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Frank, do you think the effective low end of 12m is worse compared to R1, Chrono or similar kite? I'd imagine it would be due to lesser power spike, but perhaps it can be compensated by a different waterstart technique ?

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:26 am

borist wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 pm
Frank, do you think the effective low end of 12m is worse compared to R1, Chrono or similar kite? I'd imagine it would be due to lesser power spike, but perhaps it can be compensated by a different waterstart technique ?
I think potentially the R1 can be ridden earlier, but the ease of use, stability, waterrelaunch and overall rider's confidence to even try can be pros for the Hyperlink and valid factors.
But mainly depending on conditions and individual rider flying and riding techniques and abilities.
Hope this makes sense...

Regarding the smoother power delivery when trying to get up and going a bit longer lines (than 14m, what I mainly, basically only, use) will be helpful :)
I will try 17m limes with the 12m HL next, when conditions marginal.

All I am saying is based on hydrofoil riding only.

Cheers Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Currently I use Sonic 11 for the lightest winds. It is wearing out and will need to be replaced. From the description HL should be a good match for my style (HF only) so I'm just trying to make sure that it will be the right choice as far as low end.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:38 pm

I am pretty sure it can offer at least the same low end.
Probably more I'd guess from observing other riders using that model comparing to myself riding always smaller R1, which now is my main reference for the Hyperlink.

Cheers
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Return to “Foil Kites”