coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite anchor launch/land of a FS?

Postby coffeeking » Wed May 31, 2017 10:52 am

Does anyone use a ground anchor of sorts to launch a FS?

Seems like a good self launch option for me (rather than the normal edge of window semi-inflated pain) but I'm concerned it'll auto-zenith and rip an anchor out of the ground. Could potentially double-anchor and leash to a smaller one just in case I guess.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: Kite anchor launch/land of a FS?

Postby FLandOBX » Wed May 31, 2017 11:32 am

You are thinking of pre-inflating your kite, and then tethering your brake lines and chicken loop to the anchor so the foil sits in the hot launch position? It should be do-able with a solid fixed anchor if the wind is consistent and fairly light. But since you'll be hot launching the kite, you'll probably only want to use that technique in lighter winds. And in those conditions, why not just hook-in and inflate the kite from the hot launch position without the anchor? The kite should rise and take on power more gradually as it inflates, so you'd be able to use the no-anchor hot-launch in more wind conditions.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed May 31, 2017 12:16 pm

I would request every foil kiter not to use any kind of anchor for launch and landing. NEVER, also had some bad experience 15 years ago. :oops:

The only exception is landing on the safety and fixing the safety for a short moment on an object to get to the kite, if you are alone and no other possibility.

All other usage of anchors or boards as an anchor in the lines especially for launch is extremely dangerous for you and everybody downwind! Please don't do this.

It is possible to launch a foil kite also in strong wind conditions alone with some sand or a bag or board on the 1-2 m folded upwind tip, without help, fully inflated at the corner of the wind window with very low risk.

You just have to take your time and learn this in low wind and then always stronger. You can find many explanations and videos in the web and the instructions.

When doing this maneuver there shouldn't be any uncontrolled moment, just take your time, go one step back, inflate the downwind tip, let the downwind tip stand up and stabilize it in the wind, one more step back, inflate even more, get the feeling for your best position in the wind window. And on the end when the kite is completely inflated and standing on its tip still fixed by a weight on the ground. You will just need a final little pull to free it from the weight and then can fly the kite upwards.

No uncontrolled situation and especially no uncontrolled flying anchors around. :wink:

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed May 31, 2017 12:35 pm

I totally agree with the previous 2 responses. Launching an "empty" or un-inflated FLYSURFER from dead downwind is a perfectly safe and reliable method in almost all conditions. I couldn't possibly imagine how a ground stake could make this easier or safer. Self landing a FLYSURFER solo by backstalling in strong wind is another thing all together, and a secure anchor to secure the rear lines is a very helpful device to assist securing the kite once landed.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 12:16 pm
I would request every foil kiter not to use any kind of anchor for launch and landing. NEVER, also had some bad experience 15 years ago. :oops:

The only exception is landing on the safety and fixing the safety for a short moment on an object to get to the kite, if you are alone and no other possibility.

All other usage of anchors or boards as an anchor in the lines especially for launch is extremely dangerous for you and everybody downwind! Please don't do this.

It is possible to launch a foil kite also in strong wind conditions alone with some sand or a bag or board on the 1-2 m folded upwind tip, without help, fully inflated at the corner of the wind window with very low risk.

You just have to take your time and learn this in low wind and then always stronger. You can find many explanations and videos in the web and the instructions.

When doing this maneuver there shouldn't be any uncontrolled moment, just take your time, go one step back, inflate the downwind tip, let the downwind tip stand up and stabilize it in the wind, one more step back, inflate even more, get the feeling for your best position in the wind window. And on the end when the kite is completely inflated and standing on its tip still fixed by a weight on the ground. You will just need a final little pull to free it from the weight and then can fly the kite upwards.

No uncontrolled situation and especially no uncontrolled flying anchors around. :wink:
This

I rarely hot launch any more. Side launch with lines at 45 degrees to wind and slowly pulling the kite up like a cobra is always so gentle and inflates at the same time. Back step to raise it bit by bit, left to right or right to left shuffle to keep the angle right and have it stand up and not fall back or over.

coffeeking
Medium Poster

Postby coffeeking » Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 pm

I've no intention of hot launching downwind, too many issues in early arc ownership to ever risk that again and this kite is far more lofty. We have no such thing as steady or light wind here, it's 14 gusting 24+kt or nothing :)

Assisted launch, edge of window, in gusty/high winds is the default assumption in my head but with a floppy FS it resulted in a tangled, semi-wrapped launching partner last time, despite several tries and a good understanding of the dynamics of it. In the end I went unassisted-edge and it was fairly tame when it did get up, but seems un-necessarily dangerous and somewhat "edge of controlability" until fully inflated.

I tried to allow the downwind tip to fill with some back line tension (I've watched every video out there on launching these) but that pulled the sanded tip downwind repeatedly. I put more sand on incrementally with a few handfuls at a time but by the time I stopped it sliding off downwind it wouldn't launch when it had inflated due to the pinned tip, until it was clobbered by a hefty gust and shook itself free, just when I needed it lol.

A decent 2ft deep steel anchor will hold a metric *^&$-ton of force, but I accept it is *possible* it could be plucked.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:15 am

coffeeking wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 pm
A decent 2ft deep steel anchor will hold a metric *^&$-ton of force, but I accept it is *possible* it could be plucked.
I once saw a "permanent" boat mooring pulled out of the bottom of the sound by a tethered kite that fell backwards and then powered straight up through the power zone. Remember that boat anchors, by design, are really strong holding relatively horizontal force, but are not as effective when the force is pulling from overhead (e.g., kite heading up through power zone). Good luck and be safe!

coffeeking
Medium Poster

Postby coffeeking » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:51 am

I was thinking more a fence post auger type. But you've all put me off enough :)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:36 am

Yeah, I had a 12.5 Psycho drag my Nissan Maxima about 30 yards before it pulled the roof rack off. They depower better now, but I'm smarter too.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:56 am

Do not anchor by the chicken loop and the risk is almost non-existent. Foils can easily be anchored by the rear lines especially if a stall handle or brake crossover is installed. Almost every nightmare story we hear is because people try to anchor off the chicken loop and rely on the depower to keep things in check. It simply doesnt work that way with a few exceptions like the FS Peak or Peter Lynn Arcs.

Return to “Foil Kites”