Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Chrono V3

For all foil kite riders
Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Chrono V3

Postby Peert » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:58 am

TomW wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 am
Price is insane. I got 3 new North Monos, 7-9-12, and a used Reo 5m, for the same price as one 13m Chrono V3.
Comparing apples with apples?
I assume you got the monos in a bargain deal. Who is paying the retail asking prices for any kite? But still a costly piece of kit...

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:57 am

still no adjustable bridle. Fail.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:49 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:41 pm
Until you see the kite in real life and fly it, you should maybe hold back with your comments. The ChronoV3 does not have to beat the Sonic2. It is not trying to be an out of date race kite.

In regards to comparing it to the V2, it is a major improvement in performance and hangtime and the kite has become way more stable. I would go as far as saying it is the most stable Foil kite on the market. But don't take my word for it, try it yourself.
--
Gunnar
Yes, you 're right, will hold back with my comments as long I haven't tried it.
And even if comparing, with the Speed5 would make much more sense. Sonic2 just comes into my mind because of more similar, but still even higher pricing.

The problem for me is, I am hidden in the solitude of Bavarian mountain lakes and rarely come to visit the big testivals at the coast and our small testivals here aren't supported with ozone test kites as the big "ozone only dealers" are, which is easy to understand. But for me results in the conclusion is just possible to buy it blind, which I was close to do with the V2 and also was close to with the hyperlink 5 m², which just was coming to late for our fall storms, why I have taken another brand. Happily I am not fixed to just ride one brand and so I still hope to try the HL once, as it has for sure a wider range and better relaunch behavior then my also nice 4,5 m² wave. Then on the end it will just be about price to benefit.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:57 pm

andylc wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 pm
Difficult to imagine a more stable foil kite than the Chrono V2...and if I get more hang time I may need to bring a book with me...
Stability variables are extremely subjective and have at least two stability solutions.

Using analogous kayak terminology as a base line:

A kite can have primary stability.

Or

A kite can have secondary stability.

Primary kite stability is easiest to relate to "beginners" stability. Most easy going beginner kites (and wave kites) have this property. Primary stability kites almost fly themselves and very little attention to "feel" is needed to keep them flying. They almost never over fly the window. They are very gradual on the power development. They hang back even in an updraft, while at the same time allow a stall recovery high up in the window. The problem with these kites is that they do almost everything on their own and do not allow access to the full range of power/placement in the window needed for pushing the limits of the kite/board system.

Secondary stability is easiest to relate to "the number of controls available" on the kite. Extreme attention to inputs and feedback is needed to make these kites do what you want, and even keep them under control. If you are not familiar with all of the controls available in a secondarily stable kite, you will not be able to comfortably fly it. Kites with secondary stability will overfly the window, but will also allow sheeting or turning as a control input to eliminate overfly as it is happening or before it happens - sheeting as overfly control usually indicates an extremely secondarily stable kite. Secondarily stable kites also have access to (stall) power development control via sheeting. Most foil kites can spill some power in the back of the window via "over sheeting" or partial stall while still flying forward in the window (SLE's have a harder time doing this as the wind speed increases likely due to "cone" canopy distortion). Given the additional number of controls, these kites can access the limits of the kite/board system.

If a kite feels dead and you can't make it do what you want, AND it is easy to control and ride, you have a kite with good primary stability.

If a kite feels out of control:
1. You may have a kite with good secondary stability, but you may not understand the control inputs for that kite.
2. Or, you may have a kite with no primary stability, AND no secondary stability.

In my experience:

Good primary stability kites - Naish "Ride", Ozone "Access", HQ "Montana 8", HQ "Matrixx II", Flysurfer "Speed Series"

Good secondary stability kites - Slingshot "RPM", HQ "Apex" (does not make a good beginners kite unless 3m used as a trainer), HQ "Matrixx I" (my primary kite for snowkiting) HQ "Montana 5 and 6", Ozone "Chrono v2"

Bad kites that lacked either primary or secondary - Ozone "Summit v1", Maybe HQ "Montana 7", all older Pansh with factory tuning.

Kites in the middle with some properties of both - Best "Kahoona", Slingshot "Rally", Cabrinha "Switchblade"

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:58 pm

That is a much more technical view of it than I would take, and not particularly useful (for me anyway). I simply view a stable kite as one that behaves, and does what you want without behaving unpredictably, especially in gusty or overpowered conditions, or in the case of the larger foil kites in very light winds. In that way I would view my JN Primadonna's as very stable kites, and equally my 13m Ozone Chrono V2 as such - even though they are completely different kites to fly they both behave well in most conditions.
When it comes to a foil kite I am viewing stability as ease of launch, lack of folding / collapsing even if I stuff up a jump or trick, and I can't imagine this getting much better than the Chrono V2. Not sure I care for the primary and secondary stability definition...!

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:36 pm

With respect to the subject of stability, my Chrono V1’s fly beautifully and do exactly what I ask of them. However, I have experienced gusty winds as well as a wind that varied in speed as well as direction which required constant sheeting in/out to maintain kite stability. It was so bad I decided to end the session and land. Other kites (non-foil kites) I noticed were buffeting but appeared to cope better and talking to one guy on the beach afterwards who confirmed that the wind wasn’t ideal. I guess it’s what your use to but certainly a "clean constant" wind is my preferred choice.
The Chrono V3 looks to be the result of further refinement/development of the Chrono going by the details in the link and remains as a “high performance” foil kite with improved stability.
https://www.kingofwatersports.com/produ ... no-v3-kite
Last edited by mgs on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:02 pm

I think it’s accepted that Chrono V1s had stability issues. Just can’t see improved stability as a requirement for V3 vs V2. If I was looking for improvements it would’ve been responsiveness, ability to loop, maybe pop, perhaps a tiny bit more depower. Can’t think of anything else...

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:04 pm

I think I understand what Matteo V wants to tell with this 1. and 2. stability. But there are also and very important things in between. New kites have become great to have a shape for example a highly S-curved profile line that stabilizes a kite even after full line slack well. But without positioning the kite in the lower wind window, during normal flight.

Still love my Chrono V1 a lot, as best race kite in its time and till now a very nice race - freerace kite and for that its stability was always good enough. Just in the lowend you have to be able to over sheet fast for which I always recommend to remove this "backstall cross line" or how it is called on the bar as it disturbs this important movement.

The Chrono V2 I just tried and for personal preference it was just to much downgraded from freerace towards freeride, but also had a good and therefore better stability for these class / requirements.

But I also think it is always difficult to asses the stability of kite, especially when riding in the sea without any obstacles for the wind on the water and on land.

I would believe V3 can be even more stable, only question is if "... it is the most stable Foil kite on the market" so whats then about the hyperlink? Is then the only advantage I could expect a better relaunch or are there still other unique selling points for the hyperlink?

My experience is, if you want to know stability of a kite go out 100 m offshore behind some high obstacles and you're able to find out how the kite behaves:

But as I can't say anything about V3 and would expect Ozone has done a good job, I still wonder most about the pricing of those two I would call similar class freerace kites with both around 42 cells:
11 m² 2.179,- € ChronoV3
21 m² 2.199,- € Speed5

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:22 pm

On the assumption that the R1 will be continuing, I assume they’re not aiming for this to be a race kite. However it does beg the question what the distinction is between the intended uses for Hyperlink and Chrono, although I was already confused about that anyway...!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Peert wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:58 am
TomW wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 am
Price is insane. I got 3 new North Monos, 7-9-12, and a used Reo 5m, for the same price as one 13m Chrono V3.
Comparing apples with apples?
I assume you got the monos in a bargain deal. Who is paying the retail asking prices for any kite? But still a costly piece of kit...
I'm comparing apples to apples. A kite to go kiting with, there's no difference. I go kitesurfing. North Mono 2016 at 40% off = 550-600€, or new 110 €.
A Ozone Chrono 2 or 3 = 1900€. Used Chrono 2 11 = 1350€

I've never seen an Ozone foil on sale. Only used ones.

Return to “Foil Kites”