Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Ozone Chrono V3

Postby evan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:25 pm

andylc wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 pm
I know what that is but I still don't understand it...!
Here you find some more info on polar and VMG: viewtopic.php?p=985520#p985520

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:45 pm

alexrider wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 am
Flysurfer doesn't provide the 12 month warranty for the Sonic range (FR, 2 and Race). Quite understandably.
True but does for their Speed line which competes with the chrono.

=Jason-

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:49 pm

socommk23 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 pm
People are moaning about the price with no consideration to the amount of material or time it takes to build one of these kites.
In my experience leis are great for people learning. The general unforgiving nature of crashing a foil kite into water demands a better kite flyer in the first place. Then you can realise the possibilities a foil kite brings with it. But then it's just a tool as is any kite. You get what suits you best and your style.
Would be nice to see if the v3 is noticeably better than the v1 or v2 and in what ways. But I also think it's great to see a manufacturer showing a foil kite with a tt as a lot of people I've met think they are for foil boards only or simply haven't seen a foil kite before.
I thought we all agreed to not discuss this topic as it has the same effect as saying Betelgeuse's name 3 times for someone else on this forum whose initials are one key right of "O", one key right of "N", and one key right of "Y".

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:54 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:45 pm
alexrider wrote:
Flysurfer doesn't provide the 12 month warranty for the Sonic range (FR, 2 and Race). Quite understandably.

=Jason-
Are you saying the "Speed" series is more comparable to the Chrono 2 and the Sonic is NOT comparable to the Chrono 2?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:54 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
alexrider wrote:

=Jason-
Are you saying the "Speed" series is more comparable to the Chrono 2 and the Sonic is NOT comparable to the Chrono 2?
Correct, would you disagree?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Speed VS Chrono
Sonic VS R1
Hyperlink VS who knows??
How do else would you see it??

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:17 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:54 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:

=Jason-
Correct, would you disagree?
I have enough experience on Flysurfer Speed 2 and 3, Ozone "Chrono 1" and "Chrono 2", HQ "Matrixx 1" and "Matrixx 2" to make an informed evaluation.. The other closed cell kites I have flown, I did not spend enough time on to give an opinion on them. My biggest experience gap here would relate to the Speed 4 (some time) and the Speed 5 (no time on). If there was a major change from 3-4 in the Speed series, then my evaluation would only pertain to the earlier (2 & 3) versions.

And yes, I would completely disagree. "Chrono 1" was definelty a race kite but still had lots of turning capabilities, especially in light wind. The Speed 2 and 3 were the slowest, most nonreactive dogs I have ever flown, but was easy to fly. You just did not have access to power via working the kite on a Speed like you could a Chrono 1 or 2.

I would compare the Speed series to the HQ "Matrixx 2" - Very stable and easy to fly if you understand backstall. But almost not enough turning capabilities, even "stalled turning" sucks, to utilize the kite power/stall/window placement quickly.

"Matrix 1", fits in more with the fast turning, quick power/depower/stall/window placement of the Chrono 1 and 2.

But I do have a unique way of utilizing the back of the wind window. My kite is usually moving around looking for the highest wind while others have their kite parked. So I need a kite I can put "somewhere else" quickly. Speeds, and Matrixx 2's could not do this no matter how much I tried.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:52 pm

My biggest experience gap here would relate to the Speed 4 (some time) and the Speed 5 (no time on). If there was a major change from 3-4 in the Speed series, then my evaluation would only pertain to the earlier (2 & 3) versions.
Bigger change between Speed 4 and 5. Speed 4 deluxe was 8 and 10 only and more a successor to Psycho IMO. Speed 4 Lotus very similar to speed 3 in its shape and flight but with water repellant and very light cloth. Definitely a step forward in material and I'd like to see more Lotus. It continues to embody the stability and ease of use design philosophy rather than power for size

Speed 5 is thinner and has less active wintips. I have watched in flight but not flown myself. Is definitely a bigger change in the Speed series.

Funny to me that speeds are getting more racy and Chrono more stable and ease of use. Are they converging?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:16 am

WH Lithuania wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 am
Interesting design changes. Chrono v3 has less cells than v2. It's inline with reported improved stability.
Having less cells is not very reasonable way to make kite more stable. It is a bit same like filling DH bike frame with lead to get it faster.

Usually kites with low cell counts are low AR kites, which is the main reason for their good stability. Cell count in foil kites is always a compromise and it must be thought carefully weighing different aspects. In V3 it varies from 38 to 44, which are apparently enough because kites look very good.

Bridle of V3 is quite dense and there is some details which might have been done better. Primary bridle is very short.

Picture behind "internal diagonals and straps" does not fit to these kites, so it is a bit misleading.

Bridle pdf has an error. Rigging diagram picture of 15m/18m kite is missing, there is a picture of 7m/9m kite second time.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:58 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:21 pm
I have enough experience on Flysurfer Speed 2 and 3, Ozone "Chrono 1" and "Chrono 2", HQ "Matrixx 1" and "Matrixx 2" to make an informed evaluation.. The other closed cell kites I have flown, I did not spend enough time on to give an opinion on them. My biggest experience gap here would relate to the Speed 4 (some time) and the Speed 5 (no time on). If there was a major change from 3-4 in the Speed series, then my evaluation would only pertain to the earlier (2 & 3) versions.

And yes, I would completely disagree. "Chrono 1" was definelty a race kite but still had lots of turning capabilities, especially in light wind. The Speed 2 and 3 were the slowest, most nonreactive dogs I have ever flown, but was easy to fly. You just did not have access to power via working the kite on a Speed like you could a Chrono 1 or 2.

I would compare the Speed series to the HQ "Matrixx 2" - Very stable and easy to fly if you understand backstall. But almost not enough turning capabilities, even "stalled turning" sucks, to utilize the kite power/stall/window placement quickly.

"Matrix 1", fits in more with the fast turning, quick power/depower/stall/window placement of the Chrono 1 and 2.

But I do have a unique way of utilizing the back of the wind window. My kite is usually moving around looking for the highest wind while others have their kite parked. So I need a kite I can put "somewhere else" quickly. Speeds, and Matrixx 2's could not do this no matter how much I tried.
You need to get on a Speed 5 my friend, you might be pleasantly surprised. The Chrono completely to the Speed 5. And comparing the Chrono 1 to Sonic FR (I had both in 18), the Sonic blew Ozone out of the water for performance, stability, and inflation. The SonicFR 18m to this day is still my favorite large foil kite even though I haven't tried that size on Sonic2. The jump in performance between the Speed 4 and 5 is huge yet it maintains the great stability you would expect from Flysurfer. I hope to get my hands on the Chrono 3 but for that price range without any kind of warranty is a deal breaker for me.

The upcoming new foil(it may be the Speed 6) that Flysurfer is releasing in April is suppose to be their fastest turning foil to date and yes it will have that 12 month warranty included. I'm waiting to see if the claims are true before I change my current quiver.

=Jason-

Return to “Foil Kites”