Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FS speed 5 vs Sonic V1

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FS speed 5 vs Sonic V1

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:24 pm

Please forgive me to have unvoluntary forgot the Hyperlink which is probably the easiest kite of all current foils.

Yes the shorter chord of race kites leads to more sensitivity to bridles movements. The worse being a small race kite (very little chord) . Moreover , Due to their competition target and endless seak of reducing drag, race kite often have small diameter briddles that are less stable over time and fatigue. Lastly the high aspect ratio of race kite are naturally less stable so require more accuracy on briddle length. So overall race kites will become less stable more rapidly (to be taken into account for second hand market)

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:42 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:48 pm
I am 200 % with Sergio, well detailed inuding the learning for jibe progression better with speed5 (or even better with speed4 lotus 10m (i had one beflre Pulsion) and even better with Pulsion that I strongly prefer vs speed4 for its incredible stabity and agility for equivalent speed and upwind.
Have fun in this choice period. i have heard of a " friend of a friend "who cells 2 used pulsions 12m (kite teacher in france) . One is band new . Maybe the drawback vs speed is more fragility is some very light cloth
PM if interested
Totaly agree!!!!!!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Sergio,

Thanks so much for your considered replies. I'm totally not interested in racing or race kite.
Just want best / most fun in 8/10 knots to 14 knots. I've been triggered watching guys like Gunnar and Famous Frank ride HF on foils. I'd like to progress to riding Hf with foil kite on shorter lines.

My kite friend will let me test the Sonic, but I'm super sceptical now. ( He's been flying foil kites for years, but only on Hf as long as me.)

I'll keep my eye out for a Hyperlink or Soul towards the summer, perhaps I'll be able to afford it later. Chances of finding a used Chronos 2 is higher. Like i said there's a near new Chronos 2 11 on sale from reputable shop in my region for 1300 €, but I've gotten advice to get the 13...

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:00 pm

I think it's best to learn to use a foil kite in medium wind to start 12/15 kts range , it's the light wind that takes more skill and time to avoid the swim. Get a used foil kite that is available now and don't use it in anything under 10/12 kts then as you get confident you can go lower.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:13 am

Heh,

I've paid Sonic v1 $600, is that 380 Euros?

That money cant buy a Psyho 3 or 4 in EU.

Immaculate condition:
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
Riding on lakes in the EU conditions is not the same as on the steady ocean. Nope.

Put it this way, so many riders here are on both kites, Ozones and FS, none are on anything else. We can easely do 200 seshs per year or more. Even I do 100-150.

Only if I go places, like Bali, some euros will ride Speeds or xwz kites :)

To max your time on HF, I recon buy lei, not a foil which can turn to frustration. I see that all the time. Even in places like Bali the guy was killing it on Cab SB 12m, way more fun than on a foil.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:43 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:26 pm
I'm totally not interested in racing or race kite.
So start with an Speed4 Lotus this will give you all what you need!?!
With 80kg I start kiteing with the 10m and Carbon Pro Monsterdoor at 10 knots! Up to 30 knots with normal TT.

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Definitely suggest a Speed 5 or Speed 4 as a first foil kite over the Sonic. The speed series is much more compact, easier to handle, more stable and will give you reasonably easy water relaunch. (I have a Speed 5 12m, Sonic 1 15m and Sonic 2 13m) I have flown some lower aspest foilkites as well, (Psycho 4 and Kitech Fly3-4 and FRS kites), but as you go lower on the aspect ratio the performance go lower as well, and finaly you get no real performance advantage over a tube kite. So if you want something more stable than a Speed series foil kite, I would go for a Flysurfer Boost 2 11 M tube kite, which has to option to put a trailing edge bridle and with that trailing edge bridle you can water realunch the kite in 6-7 knots of wind.

orwell
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby orwell » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:15 pm
downunder wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:22 am
I've got used Sonic FR v1 a couple of weeks ago. It is a dream. ...
...Back launch did not try.
Every thing is easy as long everything goes straight and no problems have to be handled. But TT is not HF. Fling jibes on a HF are pretty difficult and can become dangerous if there is a lack of kite control. Otherwise you overtake your kite, run into slack lines with the foil, while falling yourself on the foil. Even if it goes well, you will have to relaunch a lot learning flying jibes on HF and also other manuevers.
This is what can happen on a foil if having lack of control over your equipment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7536VqoCiw

@Tom:
Just tried Chrono 2 and it is more or less what a Speed 5 is with maybe better bar feedback, but worse drainage, which can be improved with a scissor as described in another topic.
So Chrono 2 as Speed 5 is ok, but could be more on the challenging side. Without knowing, expecting Chrono 3 to be also good, but for sure not cheaper than Sonic².

Don't know your learning speed, but I would go with something like Soul, Hyperlink, Lotus or Pulsion, if I would be in your stage, as my goal is always: Learn as fast as you can.
And not: Having one of the most hardcore "Full Race" kites which the sonic was in its time, primary designed to win races, even if it was not to successful, but if you relaunch it, you will feel that relaunch was a not the main design topic. And you can always upgrade if you feel the kite blocks your progress. But don't expect this from the named freeride kite within a year.

Do you have the link for the chrono2 about the drainage improved with scissors? i could not find it

Thanks !!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 am

There is a used Sonic 9m 2016 in immaculate condition in AU for 500 Euros.
Also 11m for about 600.

Shipping from AU would be about AU50?

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Speaking of selling Sonic FRs if someone had an 11, 15, 18m they were going to sell, do you think they would be better off waiting till spring to sell it? Seems like there are not many people that snowkite so might be better off waiting to list and sell.

Return to “Foil Kites”