Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Hyperlink size recommedation

Postby TomW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi, Now that you guys talked me out of the Sonic 1 - and the Sonic 2 / Chronos 2/3 as too racy for a intermediate Hydrofoiler and beginner foil kite user....
Remember - 80 kgs on Moses 550/590 freeride wings. I´ll never use these kites on my surfboard or a TT.

So i started looking at the HyperLink 12 and 9 Ultralight. And I am still confused about sizes, i get so many different recommendations.
I want a kite that works from 8/10 knots- I´d say 8 knot lulls
Frank Rosin and my regional dealer say a 9M would right.
Others are are saying 12m -

Looking at the charts- is should get a 12.....

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Hyperlink size recommedation

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:10 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:02 pm
Frank Rosin and my regional dealer say a 9M would right.
Others are are saying 12m -
I also would tend to 12 m² especially when you are not so good as Frank and you want to go one day with shorter lines.
(Better don't go with short lines first, but maybe first better even longer as 24 m, than shorten in 3 m steps as far as you already can do all maneuvers you want to learn.)

On the other hand, I don't know that kite and there is nobody, who can give you a better answer than somebody who knows the kite very well and can ride like Frank and nobody who can give you a better personal advice than your local personal good dealer. So take their advice and don't listen to the stuff people are writing in here inclusive my first sentence. :wink:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:42 pm

My regional dealer is 600km away and doesn't know me... :-?
He said he's using HL 9m in 11-12 knots on bigger TT. I told him my weight and foil, he still said the 9m. And I should go for 23m + 5m extensions.
Frank is apparently using HL 9-7-5m and then goes to a bigger foil for light wind. I think it was a 15 or bigger.

So perhaps that's the approach, 9m HL and if I'm going to go super light wind get a Chronos 13 UL next year, when I'm confident on the HL and improved further on the HF.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:04 pm

I ride HL 12m regular. 85kgs. I don't like to work the kite. I prefer power. I would like an even bigger kite on light days.

I would say if you like to ride underpowered go with HL 9m, or just simply stick to inflatable you have. But if you like power - go with HL 12m.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:14 pm

I was looking at some numbers :

Ozone doesn't publish numbers but FS does. Nor does North.

A FS speed 5 9m has 7,2m2 projected area(pa)
Speed 12 has 9,5 m2 pa.

a Switch element 12 has 7,88m2 pa.
A Switch element 14 has 9,2 pa.

Assuming hyperlink and North Mono have similar pa, then I understand that the HL 9 is very close in wind range to my North Mono 12. And a HL 12 will most likely feel like a size up from the Mono 12.

I hypothesize that the HL actually generates more power due to a foil profile??

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:16 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:04 pm
I ride HL 12m regular. 85kgs. I don't like to work the kite. I prefer power. I would like an even bigger kite on light days.

I would say if you like to ride underpowered go with HL 9m, or just simply stick to inflatable you have. But if you like power - go with HL 12m.

You are on Hydrofoil? What's " light days"

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:29 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:16 pm
WH Lithuania wrote:

You are on Hydrofoil? What's " light days"
Yes, I'm on hydrofoil during the summer. Mostly gusty continental winds - I would say from maybe 6 knots when the kite starts to get challenges to hang in the air to maybe 20 knots gusts. I switch to shortboard when the wind gets stronger, let's say solid 15+ knots. Then kite power feels very much like inflatable 12m. But on hydrofoil it feels much more powerful than an inflatable.

Today had a nice snowkiting session in open cell mode. Such an universal kite.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:39 am

Today I had a great session with Levitaz Cruizer and Hyperlink 9 in regular cloth - my largest kite. I'm a beginner on the hydrofoil but have been using foil kites since 2003. On iKite one sensor read 8g11 knots. Another 5 knots. Another 8 knots. The palm leaves were moving only gently. A nearby flag was limp. There were patches of water with ripples. Mostly there was glass. I saw perhaps 3 small white caps in the hour I was out. The wind was light enough at the surface to have a zero chance for relaunch of any kite. The wind was also light enough that my Airush Ultra 9 would be tough to get in the air and tough to keep up.

I enjoy riding underpowered and prefer the smallest kite I can ride. 30 meter lines help. My rear lines are 200# q-power and the fronts q-power pro. It also helps to set up the bar with a very long travel. Fully sheeted it helps to backstall the kite with the front lines 10 cm short to keep it deep in the window. Need to be able to sheet out enough to generate kite speed and power.

I don't think you will find that the Hyperlink feels like a "size up" from the North Mono. But I think you will find it stays in the air better and makes more power if you fly it fast. I would expect the Hyperlink 9 on long lines to work for hydrofoiling when the Mono won't even fly.

So the question is if you want more power or a smaller kite. Both the 9 and the 12 will work. I would be inclined to choose ultralight if I were to buy a 12. Regular cloth is fine for me on the 9.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 am

WH Lithuania wrote:

I second that! There is no advantage of using a small low aspect foil kite over an inflatable especially if you already own a 12m mono. Foil kites stand out in bigger sizes.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks guys, I'm trying to replace the Mono 12. It's a good kite but I'm looking to a kite that depowers without a bunch of fluttering, and gives a bit more static lift for transitions.

So if at 80 kg ( actually 76 kg in my skinnys) and on Moses 590 wing, I was looking to get a HL 12 UL. For 8-14 knots.
Some have recommended the HL12, others the HL 9.

Jakemoore, what's your weight. If you are 75 kg and going in 8knots on the HL 9, then that's an indication I could make it work. The HL 9 has the equivalent PA as my Mono 12.

WH, I'll never try to kite in 6 knots. Too risky here. I'm looking at lulls of 8knots. And holding to 15 knots on Hf is perfect. The HL 12 has the PA of a 14m tube.

I'm still on the fence...

Return to “Foil Kites”