For all foil kite riders
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hyperlink size recommedation

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 03, 2018 3:05 am

Preinflation is needed if you are doing a side window launch e.g. in more wind. 12 knots is more hot launch straight down wind material and preinflation matters less.

Keep the bar close and the kite deep in the window until inflated. If you push away the tips will collapse. Gentle side to side movements on the bar help fill the wingtips.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu May 03, 2018 7:32 am

Tom, I have also Mono 12 and than Neo 9 and 7. Neos are much less luffing and overal for me nicer kite than Mono but mono hang better in lull for sure. I also can borrow hi perfomance foil kites /FS sonic2/ I ride them and i very like many things /they just follow on downwind course/ about them but i didnt like one thing. If you depower kite while it fly through wind window - you just make it fly faster and pull more. Till it reaches edge where depower work efficiently. With LEI if you depower in middle of WW while flying fast - kite luff, slow down and instantly stop pulling. How is HL in this regard?

many thanks

Tomas

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu May 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Tell me guys, why would you now pick the hyperlink over the soul? Seems like the soul wins on every factor, even price. Plus there’s that FS warranty.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu May 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Some people had the misfortune to buy it before knowing the Soul was coming out! And I’m an Ozone fan before anyone calls me biased...!

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 03, 2018 5:15 pm

Anybody in the USA have a Soul? Unbiased opinions? I've flown foils a long time and like both FS and Ozone but I have an Ozone dealer in my city. They make it very easy to try a kite.

HL is a little lower aspect which can be a plus. HL has fewer bridle risers, definitely a plus. Soul has a velcro butthole that I would prefer over the HL top skin zip.

I definitely don't regret the HL at all. I would like to try a Soul and suspect it would compliment my quiver.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Thu May 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Both kites appear to have similar marketing strategies and talks of making the transition from inflatable to a foil kite an easy one.
There are bound to be technical differences in which one kite will excel in more or more directions than the other and vice versa. Buyers should make their choice by careful research deciding which kite looks to suit their needs and then make the decision and stick with it.
I have a 12m HL and very happy with it. The option to be able to configure the Kite to either “closed” or open cell” is a neat idea but probably a feature I wouldn’t need at this point in time. The HL V1 is very easy to fly with launching being super simple. For a closed cell kite, it inflates totally for me within seconds of launching. Launching Chrono V1’s for several years is a contributing factor.
The HL V1 is definitely not an entry level kite, but certainly a good starting point to progress further if so desired.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu May 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Bear in mind had one session, and light wind.
I found HL was giving even and controlled power by sheeting in and out even when kite was down looping and then flying across the wind window horizontally.

This is a thread about Hyperlink size choice. Not choice of HL or Soul. With all respect, please start another thread about that comparison. That said, I could have pre-orderd a Soul, but my local dealer doesn't have his even yet, I wanted a kite that was proven, not be first buyer. There were no independent reviews are the time.
I might get one next year...

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Thu May 03, 2018 6:42 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:15 pm
Anybody in the USA have a Soul? Unbiased opinions? I've flown foils a long time and like both FS and Ozone but I have an Ozone dealer in my city. They make it very easy to try a kite.

HL is a little lower aspect which can be a plus. HL has fewer bridle risers, definitely a plus. Soul has a velcro butthole that I would prefer over the HL top skin zip.

I definitely don't regret the HL at all. I would like to try a Soul and suspect it would compliment my quiver.
Flown both. Its not even close. The Soul is ABOVE and BEYOND the better kite. No bias. No ties. The Soul is a freaking BLAST!

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Thu May 03, 2018 6:58 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:34 pm
Tell me guys, why would you now pick the hyperlink over the soul? Seems like the soul wins on every factor, even price. Plus there’s that FS warranty.
Bear in mind that location has lot to do with the choice. Some places you can get a better deal on one vs the other. Plus Soul just came out and not many had a chance to try/order them compared to HL which is a year old by now.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 pm