Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby andylc » Sat May 12, 2018 1:59 pm

My experience of the Soul 12m is that the light wind capabilities are slightly better than the Chrono V2 13m, which is what I replaced in buying the Soul. They probably have similar park and ride power, but it is much easier to work the Soul a bit as you would with an LEI.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:35 pm

andylc wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:48 am
Although....having flown Speed and Soul I can’t imagine anyone choosing the former after they fly the Soul.
It's a question about budget!
The Speed5 you can buy cheeper 2nd hand.
The Soul just new...

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Sun May 13, 2018 8:20 am

DrLightWind wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:04 am
Eurus wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:10 am
Watched a kiter ride a 12M FS Soul recently in 10 kts of wind on a TT. He weighed 86 kilos.
Very impressive for a heavier rider in such light wind on a TT.
Are you sure about the wind?
I have a speed3 12m and I'm 60kg and need at least 12kn to plane on a directional.

DrLW
I am positive on the wind strength. May have been a bit stronger over the water versus on the beach where I was standing. Regardless, the wind was exceptionally light for venturing to kite a TT on a 12M kite.

Sombra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels
Gear: Spleene boards
Zeeko B&W Foil - Carver wing
Gong Surf Foil M
FLYSURFER Speed 4 18
Soul 10
Reo 10 / 7
CA pulsion 18
CA Wave 6,5

Postby Sombra » Sun May 13, 2018 10:00 am

andylc wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:59 pm
My experience of the Soul 12m is that the light wind capabilities are slightly better than the Chrono V2 13m, which is what I replaced in buying the Soul. They probably have similar park and ride power, but it is much easier to work the Soul a bit as you would with an LEI.
Hi

Do you refer to the Chrono or Chrono UL?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun May 13, 2018 10:10 am

Can't compare the Speed three to these new foils like the Speed 5, sonic, or soul. Get a test ride in them I guarantee you will be blown away. The only exception is the Lotus Speeds. I still have my 10 lotus and it's just fantastic for light wind. Dont think I'll ever get rid of it.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun May 13, 2018 1:06 pm

My comparison was Soul 12m vs Chrono V2 13m. Not ultralight. Ozone don’t claim the UL will have more power in the same wind, just that it will stay up in lighter wind and handle better. Haven’t tried it though so cannot comment.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon May 14, 2018 1:40 pm

andylc wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:48 am
Although....having flown Speed and Soul I can’t imagine anyone choosing the former after they fly the Soul.
This is a very interesting point. Let me say first of all that I'm really looking forward to test the Soul but for the moment it didn't happen. In these cases, the brain (and the monkey) gives birth to the most unlikely and imaginative thoughts. About FS, I think that the "final plan" will lead to a 3 kites line:
1)The "easy" Soul for freeriders/foil newcomers
2)The intemediate fusion between the current Speed and Sonic, more performance oriented than the Speed but less racey than the Sonic
3)The no compromise Sonic FR
At the moment, we have a new (and I think better) Soul and two "old" products waiting to be replaced. So it's absolutely true that buying a Speed now it's incautious if you don't really like that specific model. Same for the Sonic, it's probably going to be replaced next year.
All that said, speaking about the current situation, it's quite clear that the Speed has only a marginal performance advantage over the Soul, an advantage that the standard customer of the Soul or Speed will rarely regret since also the Speed it's not the choice in the FS line when the kiter is looking for absolute performance. So, and Andylc points out, the Soul is likely going to replace the Speed.
The real comparison is probably between the Soul and the Sonic. It's clear that the the Sonic is more difficult to handle, more difficult to relaunch, etc. It's also clear that the Sonic seems far more performing than the Soul. Where is the division line between the two? How much more performances are required to choose the Sonic? Is the Sonic only for really advanced people or it still has a sense also for a "common" freerider looking for an high performance kite?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue May 15, 2018 1:13 am

My prediction for the bear future: sonic3 will be branded the speed6 and the new sonic race with be branded the sonic3. We shall see I guess.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:05 am

andylc wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:53 pm
I use a 55cm Ozone bar which works fine. I can’t say I can tell an obvious difference between it and the FS (50cm) bar. Haven’t tried any sent loops yet but it loops really nicely for downloop transitions and the like.
I take that Soul can be flown on any 4 line bar so I can keep using my Ozone bar? I was going to buy Hyperlink but now if I can use the same bar Soul probably is the better option but then no second hand market yet $$$$ :(

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:18 am

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:14 pm
The Soul blows the Hyperlink out of the water. Its not even a fair comparison. Its above and beyond better. Im not a flysurfer dealer, rep, team rider or anything. I had a hyperlink, tried the soul and wow. Its in a different class. I wouldnt say Ozone has the freeride market corners. The SOUL is cheaper and without a doubt a far superior kite.
Sounds good. I wasn't saying anything about the Soul or Hyperlink (I've never tried either). Just that until the Soul came out, the hyperlink was the only option like it on the market (other than very small producers).

Return to “Foil Kites”