For all foil kite riders
Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Macster » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:55 am

I saw and heard a 21m soul pop today in a botched landing. It's being sent away for repair, hopefully covered by warranty.

There's four of us that have them at my local and I've seen some guys really tomohawk theirs and they've pulled up ok.

In other news, I can now confidently say that as long as I can keep my 12m soul in the air, 5-6 knots? I can get going on my hydrofoil with 2 or so kiteloops.

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bossstyle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:14 am

Used the soul again today. I tightened the back lines to the third knot on my ozone bar. The kite didn’t feel as nice as the previous sesssion. There was back stall and it didn’t handle the gusts well. Think the soul prefers lines of equal length more. Does the infinity 3.0 Bar even have pigtail knot style adjusters at the bar or lines ends somewhere?
Can any one tell my kite fell outcthe sky at one point and promptly inverted crossing the lines. When I pulled and shook the bar after relaunch the line cross disappeared up by the bridle. The kite still relaunched but I knew there was a line cross up there. Is it safe to continue flying like this. I decided to safety and come in. The kite filled with some water in one end. I noticed it came out the winf tip like it should but also notice it showered and sprayed out of all the stitching holes all along along the tail panel, is that also normal?

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Hello Bossstyle
Does the infinity 3.0 Bar even have pigtail knot style adjusters at the bar or lines ends somewhere?
Yes for sure.

We also have plenty of "how to videos":

The kite still relaunched but I knew there was a line cross up there. Is it safe to continue flying like this. I decided to safety and come in.
It is no problem. Wear out is very limited and less like you you have untwisted flying lines. But to fly it well sorted is better.
I noticed it came out the winf tip like it should but also notice it showered and sprayed out of all the stitching holes all along along the tail panel, is that also normal?
That was the water peeling of the outside skin of the kite and not our of the seams.

Have fun, Armin

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:03 am

Armin Harich wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:33 pm
Hello Bossstyle
Does the infinity 3.0 Bar even have pigtail knot style adjusters at the bar or lines ends somewhere?
Yes for sure.
We also have plenty of "how to videos": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gH3EjS0al8
The kite still relaunched but I knew there was a line cross up there. Is it safe to continue flying like this. I decided to safety and come in.
It is no problem. Wear out is very limited and less like you you have untwisted flying lines. But to fly it well sorted is better.
I noticed it came out the winf tip like it should but also notice it showered and sprayed out of all the stitching holes all along along the tail panel, is that also normal?
That was the water peeling of the outside skin of the kite and not our of the seams.

Have fun, Armin
Hey Armin,
Want to give us a little preview for the new bar coming?? I’ve been searching the inter web but have had no luck.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:20 am

Bossstyle wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:14 am
Used the soul again today. I tightened the back lines to the third knot on my ozone bar. The kite didn’t feel as nice as the previous sesssion. There was back stall and it didn’t handle the gusts well. Think the soul prefers lines of equal length more. Does the infinity 3.0 Bar even have pigtail knot style adjusters at the bar or lines ends somewhere?
Can any one tell my kite fell outcthe sky at one point and promptly inverted crossing the lines. When I pulled and shook the bar after relaunch the line cross disappeared up by the bridle. The kite still relaunched but I knew there was a line cross up there. Is it safe to continue flying like this. I decided to safety and come in. The kite filled with some water in one end. I noticed it came out the winf tip like it should but also notice it showered and sprayed out of all the stitching holes all along along the tail panel, is that also normal?
No, just because and inversion looks ok, it is not, the mixer will not work as smoothly and the angles are wrong due to the line wrap. Best to come in and get it sorted. You need to see actual separation between the front lines and steering lines as they enter the mixer (front to rear) if they look like one, then you are inverted.

With respect to spray off the rear....unlikely that it was coming out the stitching....maybe just looked like it.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:22 am

oops, see was answered by the man....

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bossstyle » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:22 am

Thanks for the reply directly Armin. From the video it looks like your Flysurfers fly best on exactly equal line lengths which was the the impression I got after tightening he back lines. Felt every gust with lots of pulling and wasn’t confidence inspiring. Will put them back to equal next time out.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:08 pm

After owning an 8m soul for two months, I finally got it out today in 10-12 knots on my foil board.

I used a 52cm cabrinha bar with 19m lines that I had lying around.

Out for nearly 3 hours, had a blast. Top speed of 38 kph , average about 30kph on a moses fluente. I think it has slightly more low end than the hyperlink but is more susceptible to choking. Quick kite loops with more power again than the 9m hyperlink. Holds its shape better when the lines go slack. Similar drift downwind.

Good manners, predictable behaviour, light to moderate bar pressure. I think the 8m soul is probably a fair match to the 9m hyperlink for power and speed but with a bit more agility.

Looking forward to flying it again!

noahsw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Belmont Shore
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics on Taaroa race board and Slingshot Ghosts on the Triton T1 monowing

Postby noahsw » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:27 pm

This might be a dumb question but can you use a carabiner to self land the Soul? The backstall method usually ends up in a twisted mess for me.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:47 pm

noahsw wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:27 pm
This might be a dumb question but can you use a carabiner to self land the Soul? The backstall method usually ends up in a twisted mess for me.
Might be pulling too much steering lines which ends up having the trailing edge flip up and tumble the kite. Are you talking about attaching to a fixed object? That could work but I’d still hold on to the lines as you run up to the kite in case it tries to relaunch on its own. If that happens you can just pull one steering line kinda like pulling the safety.

What I usually do is back stall the kite and hand over hand walk up the lines till I reach the kite. In stronger winds where I can’t hold on to the lines as well, I’ll get up as much as I can then release all of them except one steering line and hold it on the ground to prevent the foil from flailing around. I’m super strong winds, I’ll just release to safety again with bar on the ground and just walk up the safety line.

Return to “Foil Kites”