For all foil kite riders
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby jakemoore » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:16 pm

I spent a little time flying my Speed 4 DLX yesterday. One of the things that impresses me most about that Speed 4 is how it maintains some steering even with the bar completely depowered and rear lines slack. This is an effect I have not seen in tube kites or other brand foil kites. Maybe its an effect of the Triple Depower? For the user it means the top end of the kite is more accessible because there is less need to power the kite for example to steer it toward zenith when the wind is high.

How much Triple Depower effect does the Soul have?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5grUtFc63GY

Tech talk video is published. The most informative part of the video is a picture of the kite in the beginning, else not so much.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Apparently there is no "triple" depower, just depower (perhaps double depower? :) ). The goal has been to make more solid feel than before, which doesn't fit very well to changing PA. Also 2D shape and canopy curve hint it isn't there.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:14 am

The SOUL has like all our foilkites a Tripple Depower. The Airfoil change the AOA like LEI Kites. Its chamberline and bend the airfoil while powering up. It also increase the projected Area, while powering up.

Here a new video, that show well how nice it loops and its hangtime performance if you jump well at the right time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vIpLDE-ARo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vIpLDE-ARo
Last edited by Armin Harich on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:39 am

I do appreciate the increase of camber when powering, as well as the reflex providing stability when depowering.
But not such much "adaptive canopy curve" (decrease of projected area).
Why? Because to get the best going upwind in marginal conditions, you've got to counter-intuitively decrease the angle of attack (depower). That's a situation you want all the usable projected area. The ideal would be to alter the "adaptive canopy curve" independently of the power/depower. And whilst we're at it, also the camber (a la Diablo).
Question to Armin: I didn't notice appreciable change of projected aspect ratio with the Sonic Race. Does it also have triple depower?
Having said that, I do enjoy the adaptive canopy curve when carving downwind on foil. Nice to have the kite sit back further in the window when depowering through the turn and still maintain control. BTW, it's also the specificity of the BRM Cloud kite, and IMO why many foilers like it.
I love my old Speeds 4 DL that I believe FS discontinued to soon. Most fun for foiling. I guess the Soul will be a great replacement.
Armin Harich wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:14 am
The SOUL has like all our foilskites a Tripple Depower. The Airfoil change the AOA like LEI Kites. Its chamberline and bend the airfoil while powering up. It also increase the projected Area, while powering up.

Here a new video, that show well how nice it loops and its hangtime performance if you jump well at the right time.
Nice video!

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Ok, thanks Armin for correction. But I remember FS used to publish changing projected area in % like for instance 70..80%, now there is just fixed PA in square meters (which seems to be ca. 80% of flat area in Soul). BTW, how this powered up increased area is measured and how much it is in Soul?

Performance of the kite seems to be incredible good :thumb:

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:16 pm

alexrider wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:39 am
Because to get the best going upwind in marginal conditions, you've got to counter-intuitively decrease the angle of attack (depower).
You must use highest possible AoA kite can tolerate. When you get some speed you can usually sheet in a lot, pushing bar out means you are not strong/heavy enough for the pull.
alexrider wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:39 am
I didn't notice appreciable change of projected aspect ratio with the Sonic Race. Does it also have triple depower?
I didn't notice it either in Sonic FR, but I wasn't observing it specially. With Psycho4 it wasn't possible to not notice it.

kuit
Rare Poster
Gear: 9m & 12m Kitech Free RS
15m Kitech Free RS UL
12m Ocean Rodeo Flite gen 6
10m Ozone Enduro V2
7m Ocean Rodeo Prodigy gen 4
Moses Comet 111 / Moses Fluente 91 / 590 & 633 Frontwings / 330 & 483 Stabilisers
Moses T60 / T38
Ten The Mark

Postby kuit » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:27 am
Has anyone been able to compare the FS Soul and the Kitech FRS? I think these two might be even more comparable than Hyperlink and Soul.
Today I had the chance to fly a Soul 12 from a friend and compare it to my own Kitech 12 Free RS.

Wind was 6-13 knots. I used foil only!

My experience:

Both kites are very stable and want to stay in the air and in the right place. I think power during downloop is a little more gradual on the Soul. The Kitech has a power peak at the end of the loop. Both work good to get on the foil when you are used to it. Low end is about same I think.

The Kitech is a quicker turning and reacting kite. It likes to be moved. The power builds up quicly also. The Soul generates more power when it reaches speed, but builds it up a little slower.

Upwind angle and topspeed is better on the Soul I guess.

Both kites drift well and about the same I think.

Barpressure about same. Kitech feels more direct to me, maybe because I am more used to it.

Relaunch of both kites is excellent and about the same. I don't know about the Soul but the Kitech doesn't take much water. if It doesn't drop too bad I is relaunchable after 20-30 min.

Summary in my opinion (foil only, no twintip used, no jumping):

Both are excellent kites for foiling with about same low end.
Soul: easy with more performance/topspeed
Kitech: easy and more playfull/quicker turning
Last edited by kuit on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:51 pm

I had an opportunity to try this kite. After seeing all the hype and promo online and the claims Flysurfer was making, I was preparing myself to be disappointed. Its like going in to the movies with high expectations, no matter how good the movie is you come out feeling so so. This was not the case with the Flysurfer Soul. It EXCEEDED the hype and lives up to the performance promised. Wow. I have tested the 12 Soul now in 2 different conditions, both times on hydrofoil. The first was in 17-20 knots. The total upper end of the kite on foil. I thought I was going to be outrageously over powered, but to my surprise even in 20 knots and on hydrofoil, I felt extremely comfortable on the Soul. The kite was smooth and fast but what really stood out to me was how much this kite felt like a tube kite. I was sending this kite and jumping higher than I have ever before 40+ feet and the kite would always stay in front of me. Very impressed.
I then got a chance to try it in 8-10 knots and on foil. Still the kite was rock solid. No back stalling no hindenburgering. Rock solid. I dumped the kite in the what a few times and it just sits there like a cork. I also bow tied it a few times, and next to its boosting ability this was the most impressive aspect. It would just untie itself. I kite offshore 99% of the time and its always nerve-racking when I am out there and tie a kite. No one likes long swims with sharks. This is kite would relaunch every time with easy. Like a tube kite.

I have flown the hyperlink as well. This kite is above an beyond the Hyperlink. It turns faster, boosts bigger, relaunched even better, has the same low end and better high end. It loops smoother as well. The only thing I can give point to the Hyperlink is the simplicity of the bridal. Sometimes foil kite bridals can be intimidating, but honestly once you fly the kite 2 or 3 times, you figure it out. I cant recommend this kite enough. This is really a game changer.

On a final note, I have no interest, contact, relationship, own, nor sell any flysurfer gear. This is an honest review from a happy kiter.

If you have any further questions. Feel free to ask.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:54 pm

kuit wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:35 pm
Kitemanmuc wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:27 am
Has anyone been able to compare the FS Soul and the Kitech FRS? I think these two might be even more comparable than Hyperlink and Soul.
Today I had the chance to fly a Soul 12 from a friend and compare it to my own Kitech 12 Free RS.

Wind was 6-13 knots. I used foil only!

My experience:

Both kites are very stable and want to stay in the air and in the right place. I think power during downloop is a little more gradual on the Soul. The Kitech has a power peak at the end of the loop. Both work good to get on the foil when you are used to it. Low end is about same I think.

The Kitech is a quicker turning and reacting kite. It likes to be moved. The power builds up quicly also. The Soul generates more power when it reaches speed, but builds it up a little slower.

Upwind angle and for sure topspeed is better on the Soul.

Both kites drift well and about the same I think.

Barpressure about same. Kitech feels a little more direct to me, maybe because I am more used to it.

Relaunch of both kites is excellent and about the same. I don't know about the Soul but the Kitech doesn't take much water. if It doesn't drop too bad I is relaunchable after 20-30 min.

Summary in my opinion (foil only, no twintip used, no jumping):

Both are excellent kites for foiling with about same low end.
Soul: easy with more performance/topspeed
Kitech: easy and more playfull/quicker turning
Thanks for the review. I just got to try the two of them as well. I would agree with you on all points. The Soul is going to boost a little bigger in my opinion.

Return to “Foil Kites”