Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby foilholio » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:28 am

The problem with inflatables in very light wind is their weight and worse L/D is too much to make them fun to use. If you struggle to go upwind or kite falls straight out of the air, that is not fun. Hydrofoils open lightwind a lot more for tubes, but then they do the same for foils.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:38 am

airsail wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 pm
So for light wind foiling, 8-10 knots, what are people's preference, the 12 or the 15 Soul? I'm 80 kg (176 lbs) using both surf and race wings.
If you are only going to hydrofoil with it, I say the 12. I get overpowered pretty quickly with my 15m when hydrofoiling. Now on my twintip, I love the 15m. It's fantastic overpowered, huge big airs.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:34 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:33 am
I tried kite racing yesterday, and there's a few really good guys, 4-5 good, 4-5 ok, then me. I've never raced before...

Point: saw a few different foil kites, which are rare here. The Soul is an impressive looking kite, it's beautiful. There as a 12 and 15 in the air. But at same time, it's not monkey proof. saw them in the water or bow tied: yes, due to pilot error in light wind.
The F1 DIABLO is super looking and there was several Ok guys on them and they had them in the air the whole time.
The good and really good guys had Sonic FR, Vmg, F1.
Remember, the Soul does not bow tie according to AL, plus, the errors never happen and the Soul promo vids are not controlled crashes.

It's a great kite that is and I'm looking forward to demo it. But also have my reservations.

The Diabolo is absolutely fantastic kite, many are flying it here.

noahsw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Belmont Shore
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics on Taaroa race board and Slingshot Ghosts on the Triton T1 monowing

Postby noahsw » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Can a Soul expert suggest a quiver size for me? 160 lbs, hydrofoil freeride only, riding between 10kt and 25kt.

Been foiling for 4 years but very limited experience flying a foil kite.

Could I get away with 6 and 10 only? Danke!

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:31 pm

question on flysurfer soul pigtails ....are they the same in terms of larks head etc so will ozone bar fit in without any mod to pigtails?
Thanks

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 pm

I fly a Soul on an Ozone bar and lines - it's absolutely fine. Slightly different setup in that lines from the bridles have a small metal loop on the end, meaning that you can actually attach either a loop or a knot to them, which is kind of clever but does mean you can put your lines on backwards if you're not paying attention (not that I have actually done this...)!

On a related noted and for the nobody that cares I went out this evening for a quick one as the sun was setting. Wind was always going to be light but I discovered the low end of the Soul 12m and was still just about staying upwind in 7 knots with a twin tip. I am very light (65kg) so this would not apply to everyone - still it has an amazing low end considering it's not that big a kite. One thing I really find useful compared to other foils I have owned is that you can really work it like an LEI and generate that bit more power to get going, either just with aggressive turns or by looping it. Never got on with doing this with the Chrono V2, with that kite it either got you going with fairly static pull or not at all.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 am

andylc wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 pm
I fly a Soul on an Ozone bar and lines - it's absolutely fine. Slightly different setup in that lines from the bridles have a small metal loop on the end, meaning that you can actually attach either a loop or a knot to them, which is kind of

On a related noted and for the nobody that cares I went out this evening for a quick one as the sun was setting. Wind was always going to be light but I discovered the low end of the Soul 12m and was still just about staying upwind in 7 knots with a twin tip. I am very light (65kg) so this would not apply to everyone - still it has an amazing low end considering it's not that big a kite. One thing I really find useful compared to other foils I have owned is that you can really work it like an LEI and generate that bit more power to get going, either just with aggressive turns or by looping it. Never got on with doing this with the Chrono V2, with that kite it either got you going with fairly static pull or not at all.
7kts on a twin tip!...what size twin tip? water choppy or flat?

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:56 am

I took a 10m & 6m Soul to Maui last week. The wind was typical for Maui in the summer, 20 to 25 knots gusting to 30 most days. I found the 10 was the perfect kite every day. There was a day when I tried the 6, but went back to the 10 for the lofty airs. The best part about the Soul was even when the beach was in a windshadow and tube kites were falling out of the sky, the Soul just hung there. It was actually easier to handle than a tube kite in gusty Maui wind.

live2play
Medium Poster

Postby live2play » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:56 am

Anyone switched from the Sonic 2 and regretted it?

noahsw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Belmont Shore
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics on Taaroa race board and Slingshot Ghosts on the Triton T1 monowing

Postby noahsw » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:12 am

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:56 am
I took a 10m & 6m Soul to Maui last week. The wind was typical for Maui in the summer, 20 to 25 knots gusting to 30 most days. I found the 10 was the perfect kite every day. There was a day when I tried the 6, but went back to the 10 for the lofty airs. The best part about the Soul was even when the beach was in a windshadow and tube kites were falling out of the sky, the Soul just hung there. It was actually easier to handle than a tube kite in gusty Maui wind.
TT or hydrofoil? Not enough loft in the 6?

Return to “Foil Kites”