Mid AR kite

For all foil kite riders
kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Mid AR kite

Postby kitexpert » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:07 am

I've been designing mid AR kite with relatively high cell count, but not too high to keep the amount of work reasonable. Specs are quite close to Hyperlink but below FS Soul, also because of this kite will be small/mid sized.

Kite has quite a lot canopy curve for faster and less pivotal turning and also for better span wise tension. I like how it looks now, if anything I will have it even slightly more curved.

Bridle is short but it has relatively high number of primary lines which allows to use very thin line which happens to be available. Every rib is supported by bridle or H-ribs, which are A to B or A to C depending how C line row will be.

Speed system will be simplest possible 1:2. For having enough stability with moderately high cambered thin airfoil A-B will be fixed. Some depower will be lost but I don't see it is a problem for a small kite.

LE stiffeners are different and better than usually used plastic rods. I've also thought having miniribs at LE, but I'm not sure if they are worth it.

Goal is very fast kite which is exciting to fly, far from Access style safe slow dog but also not like race kite, because I don't think very high AR is necessary for a small kite.

This kite is one of the eight I am now working with. Each has about same AR and 2-D shape but different cell counts, airfoils, inner supports and bridles. It takes some time to pick one of them but it is part of the design process.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Mid AR kite

Postby kitexpert » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:16 am

A bit more canopy curve and some tweaking here and there, and playing with colors :o

C-line row H-ribs is a question, with or without them. I'm thinking having a bridle on every second rib should be good enough, saving some weight and work.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:50 pm

One possibility is to forget all moderateness and to design a kite that breaks many limits. These high cell count kites are also more interesting to design.

If I had to make a name for this one I'd call it Diesurfer Ghoul :)

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 pm

One of the most balanced kite I've managed to design so far. This should be fast kite with very thin and quite optimized bridle, miniribs and highish cell count for the AR, making cell shape good.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:53 am

This one allows smoothest top skin, but there is quite a lot parts and it is laborious kite to do. In the early days I did couple kites a bit like this one, but with half cell D-ribs instead of 1/3. MIniribs suit very well with these ones.

Return to “Foil Kites”