Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone and Flysurfer fanboys, tell me why...

For all foil kite riders
joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone and Flysurfer fanboys, tell me why...

Postby joriws » Wed May 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Ozone - great foils? Chrono 1 ballooned on the sky. Ozones collects sand on the trailing edge. Water draining -> bad relaunch... Speed system reset.. Too many bad design options. Then finally Ozone's warranty.. And more expensive price on shittier engineering.. 2014ish still having one-side-pull-safety-release..

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed May 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Flysurfer deserves credit for taking risks like Triple Depower, Lotus Cloth and single skin Peak. Very cool brand IMO.

But we have an Ozone dealer. Ozone tubes and foils fly on our beaches. Shop and friend demos are building their brand. By the time I get to see a FS kite in person they have moved on to another generation, and often the changes are big.

Ozone tube kites are top notch and abundant in the market. The foils are excellent as well and in some ways lighter and simpler than FS. Maybe comparing Lotus to BMW?

I have yet to find a commercial bar that I'm really happy with and the bar complexity seems to get worse every generation.

pstkk
Medium Poster
Gear: Zeeko, Flysurfer, Taaroa, Horue
Been thanked: 0

Postby pstkk » Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm

I have been satisfied with both brands. Don't really feel one is better than the other.

Flysurfer could learn something from Ozone about making bars. The new 2018 Ozone chicken loop seems near perfect to me. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the behaviour on social media by one the Ozone company guys.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Here's some facts:

Winner of Red Bull Ragnark 2018: Flysurfer Race
IPO Award 2018: Flysurfer Race
Hydrofoil Pro Tour 2018: 5 our of the 6 finishing results were Flysurfer Race

For my personally, having that Flysurfer warranty has GREATLY helped me progress. I don't have to worry about messing up a move and damaging the kite knowing that I will be covered.

Ozone's R1V3 was such a dude, they discontinued it and are back to using the R1V2.

I do agree that Flysurfer bars are pretty bad, but there is a new an improved one coming down the line which I predict we will see at the end of 2018 with the new Speed 6(rebranded Sonic3).

So please explain to me how Ozone is the better choice when it comes to foil kites again??

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 pm

The R1V2 was the best kite on the market for about 18 months before the Flysurfer Race got out there and started turning heads. That's not to say it's only good because it built upon the R1V2, I have no reason to suspect it did, but Ozone did get to the podium before Flysurfer. If you compare the Sonic2 to the R1V2, because that was their top of the line race kite for a minute, the R1V2 has a solid advantage at the low end of the wind range as well as on downwind.

I think until the Sonic Race came along, the best way to characterize the difference was that FS had more experience making long lasting durable foil kites with good user features, but the R1V2 was just better at course racing. Now with the Sonic Race on the scene, I think the distinction falls entirely to rider skill instead of equipment. That also likely includes the Diablo V3s which for all intents are just as good.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:33 am
1. There's that fantastic no questions asked warranty (as long as it's not purposely done of course) on all their kites expect the Sonic (which by the way, some shops are still honoring the warranty even for those).
2. There's an adjustable bridle which allows you to easily retune the kite back to factory specs (ozone's genius solution is just replace the entire bridle).
3. The prices are better.
=Jason-
These are the main reasons why I choose Flysurfer!!!
I think these points are benefits for everyone!!!

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 pm
If you compare the Sonic2 to the R1V2, because that was their top of the line race kite for a minute, the R1V2 has a solid advantage at the low end of the wind range as well
I feel the Sonic2 much more userfriendly!
Also more than SonicFR!
That's why I say that Sonic2 is not a pure racekite!
For racing there is the SonicRACE!

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed May 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
The R1V2 was the best kite on the market for about 18 months before the Flysurfer Race got out there and started turning heads. That's not to say it's only good because it built upon the R1V2, I have no reason to suspect it did, but Ozone did get to the podium before Flysurfer. If you compare the Sonic2 to the R1V2, because that was their top of the line race kite for a minute, the R1V2 has a solid advantage at the low end of the wind range as well as on downwind.

I think until the Sonic Race came along, the best way to characterize the difference was that FS had more experience making long lasting durable foil kites with good user features, but the R1V2 was just better at course racing. Now with the Sonic Race on the scene, I think the distinction falls entirely to rider skill instead of equipment. That also likely includes the Diablo V3s which for all intents are just as good.
Are you ducking kidding me telling us that the Sonic race was built based upon the R1V2??? Where’s all the awards then that it received? You obviously have no clue what the Sonic Race is about including removing a row of bridles. Jesus, become a little more educated next time before you make a complete ass of yourself lol.

Also why don’t you explain to us the brief life that the R1V3 saw to light before it was quickly hidden away while you are at it.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed May 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Also you can’t compare the R1V2 with the Sonic2. Completely different uses. The Sonic2 is meant to be more of the weekend racer/airstyle kite which is still really easy to fly(part of the reason I believe it will be rebranded the new Speed in the next generation. The race Flysurfer foil is named Sonic RACE for a reason. Imagine that lol

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 pm

Nem0 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:32 pm
Mossy 757 wrote:
If you compare the Sonic2 to the R1V2, because that was their top of the line race kite for a minute, the R1V2 has a solid advantage at the low end of the wind range as well
I feel the Sonic2 much more userfriendly!
Also more than SonicFR!
That's why I say that Sonic2 is not a pure racekite!
For racing there is the SonicRACE!
I loved my Sonic FR 18, best large foil I ever had. Light years ahead of the Chrono 1 18m I had. Strangely I hated my 11 FR. I’m sure with bridle adjustments(something not even possible on an Ozone) I could get it to fly how I wanted but I didn’t have the time before my pan American motorcycle trip.

Return to “Foil Kites”