Pansh tuning Aurora 2 12m2 ideas?

For all foil kite riders
revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Pansh tuning Aurora 2 12m2 ideas?

Postby revhed » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:09 am

So came upon a VERY slightly used Pansh Aurora 2 12m2 UL from a friend for and unbeatable price.
On the beach in about 6 knots we were impressed both with turning speed, radius , power, and general flight.
I have done way to many measures and marks so can tune and as have read loads kinda knew it might be a "project" to get it tuned.
Also interesting that another local has exactly same kite.
So first KBHF session in about 8 knots.
First kite down turn flying jibe found kite collapsed, seems both tips AND L E!
Was able after board on H20 to get it back and took off again.
Did many front and back water start loops and even some without, feeling the kite more and more
BUT,
if did not pay close attention to bar trim when doing kite down turns it collapsed many more times.
Funny that in up turns had no problem!
generally felt Ok but sure need to improve!
So as I have made super easy AoA and camber adjusters what do you suggest?
We did note that my C mixer was 4 cm longer than the other brand new stock spec.
My first inclination is to "set it back" in the window, increase AoA, by progressively shortening B then C then Z as lecca lecca shows here,
http://www.lecca-lecca.com/#layer_5
Other ideas plaeas?
R H

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: PANSH tuning Aurora 2 12m2 ideas?

Postby foilholio » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:33 am

Best to just control AoA limit with the bar and trim, i.e. leave B alone. Only if the kite can't fly on A or the mixer has shrunk do you need to be concerned with B limit. What you are describing is the effects of camber or poor kite handling. To fix(reduce) camber you generally extend Z. Solely extending Z will fix it, but you will lose power. It may be as you saw C is too long why not shorten it that 4cm? then or try extending Z 8cm.

As to kite control, is this your first foil kite? I forget. You need to learn to hold the bar in on certain situations or bad things will happen. The better you get at this the more gusty wind you can handle and the more camber too, which can mean more range.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Re: Pansh tuning Aurora 2 12m2 ideas?

Postby oldkiter » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:29 pm

"You need to learn to hold the bar in on certain situations or bad things will happen."

Which "certain situations"?

Still trying to learn my Aurora II 15m!

Thanks

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:30 pm

Well when they happen you then know you should have had the bar in. LOL.

That was serious, but things like slack lines and kite about to or is flying out of the window. Best to catch it before it flys out. There is more advanced things like pulling on a steering leader or line to correct lopsided kite with slack lines. Same can be used for tighter turns or helicopter turns. Backstall on the bar can help with that and the "bar in" situations. Flying kite backwards is useful too. Lots of things most tubekiters have no clew about :-) Lots of rear line tension generally fixes kites that have gone weird shape with slack lines. "Holding the bar in" can prevent a twisted kite on the water becoming more twisted and with the "right" jiggling of lines you can untwist it. There is so many what I would call advanced techniques you could make a video series about them or offer a course. Bar in is needed when relaunching a kite with water in to prevent it collapsing.

Generally I will say if your kite just collapsed you should have had the bar in and backstall on the bar makes that more effective.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster

Postby revhed » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:20 am

Update
Added quick adjust loops on B C Z so can quickly on beach change lengths.
Found that A B C equal and Z about 6 cm longer lets kite fly well!
I assume, maybe wrong that if they copied an existing kite AND bridles that like most others A B C and even Z equal for easy mixer adjust?
Thoughts?
Interesting finding...
I used not strong enough plastic beads for loop knot stoppers ala North (long live!) 5th line bar stopper, the B broke and extended 2 cms both sides
Kite would totally frontal colaspe when giving turning input, amazing that only 2 cms would cause this.
I always wondered just how sensitive they were now I know!
Sure hope some day to meet someone someday like Regis, Sergio, ect ( ram air kite tune gurus) as we could play with tuning SO fast and dial kite in!
BUT,
For now I am MOST pleased, and other local here who has exact same is also enjoying and did 3 easy fast deep water relaunch in about 12 knots!
Only wish that Pansh would add L E micro battens to hold L E profile, but that would cost more so....
R H

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:55 am

You assumed they copied another kite? nope.

Yep they can be quite sensitive to tune, when the kite is right on the edge. But also note 2cm of B is ~8cm of Z.

You can deep water relaunch down to about 4knots.

LE baton (line) adds weight and makes packing a pain. If you must you should be able to add them yourself quite easy. They are just weed wacker - trimmer line, you can thread it between the cell double stitching. May need to stitch off the ends, by hand would be fine.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster

Postby revhed » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Better and better as use 40 m lines and ONLY use kite this in around 8 knots.
I have installed "North" (NOT duotone!) bar stoppers above AND below bar on trim line, so cool that in super stable wind can pull upper, push lower to find correct trim and
pilot like an old style 2 line kite!
And she flies just fine!
Still have not had chance for 6-7 knot session as wind thermals get stronger fairly quick here now as water still cool enough and HUGE beach heats fast!
I REALLY like the upper bar stopper because when searching board after missed flying stance change, ect.. I pull just a little to keep kite stable just below
zenith so hands off swimming easy!
Wondering if I need, "wanted" 15m UL Pansh Aur 2 for even lower wind but so far not needed, summer will tell....
R H

Return to “Foil Kites”