Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Used beginner foil kites

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:28 am

VB705 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:56 am
I’ve been checking them out. (Pansh) Nice price for sure and wouldn’t get my feelings too hurt if I destroyed it. Just wondering if it was setup correctly right out of the bag.
Hi,
do yourself a favour and skip this idea.
I actualy fly all price levels of foil kites from exaggerated SonicRace down to simple but good ConceptAir Wave and I am always interested to see if new designs are coming up like lecca-lecca:
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2399859

But when I had a Pansh in my hand from a friend on the beach 1 or 2 years ago the impression out of 19 years of foil kite flying, repairing, testing and partially developing was:
I don't even want to waste a minute of my time with this one. 18 years ago tinkering my self on bridles of in this age very basic kites made me also believe, that it is 90% about a good bridle. But it is not, it is 90% about the canopy and you can't tinker a garbage bag to a kite by tinkering on the bridle, you just will make the garbage bag flying, thats all. And especially as beginner in foil kites you don't want to waste your time with this one:
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2391108

If you need even more independend impressions, just check who is flying Pansh kites and what those guyes are doing with them in real world (not the 100 pages in forums):
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pansh+kite
and who flies for example other cheap constructions, but serious by good riders developed kites and what they are doing with the kites in comparision:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ptair+kite
VB705 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:18 pm
Looking to try a foil kite for free ride hydrofoiling and some twin tip. I see a few older models of various brands for sale often.
Not really sure which brands and versions to stay away from or are not friendly to the beginner foil kiter.
Any suggestions on which models?

Your first question was already the right idea, to give you some short answers and posibilities:

No:
- as too much race: FS all Sonics; Ozone all R1 and Chrono V1; Fone Diablo, …

Yes and No:
- FS Pulse 2 (ca. 2010) a bit old and not too much depower and upwind, but easy and for the first steps if getting cheap and not too much used, maybe
- Flysurfer Speed 3, if yes just in the heavy but rare "normal" cloth not Deluxe as if used a lot will loose its watertightness, or maybe one of the younger "colored Edition" which should be a Deluxe+

Yes (from easy to hard):
- Ozone Hyperlink not tried, but can't go wrong, should be easy
- Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus (not normal) best size in 10 m² little risk to get cracks inside if crashing it hard but very light and also good relaunch and if not crashing will live extremely long.
- Flysurfer Speed 5, more freerace orientated sorfter barfeeling and a bit harder relaunch, but if you feel that you have the experience maybe also ok.
- Ozone Chrono 2, just shortly tested, but similar to Speed 5, if you want to risk, that it can be a bit to hard, but with for sure better / harder bar feeling as FS, but worser relaunch

just seen: User "Adventure Log" has already recommended pretty much the same :thumb:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:44 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
VB705 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:56 am
I’ve been checking them out. (Pansh) Nice price for sure and wouldn’t get my feelings too hurt if I destroyed it. Just wondering if it was setup correctly right out of the bag.
Hi,
do yourself a favour and skip this idea.
User resells Flysurfer and Ozone. Reseller recommends you don't buy Pansh... interesting? surprising? old game? lol.

Me I am not a reseller, I couldn't make any money off Pansh if I tried. I give free advice to anyone on this forum from any brand. Flysurfer and Ozone are exceptional brands, but Pansh offers unbeatable value.
Horst Sergio wrote: I actualy fly all price levels of foil kites from exaggerated SonicRace down to simple but good ConceptAir Wave
Really that is not all price levels. A wide range of models sure, but not all price levels.
Horst Sergio wrote: But when I had a Pansh in my hand from a friend on the beach 1 or 2 years ago the impression out of 19 years of foil kite flying, repairing, testing and partially developing was:
I don't even want to waste a minute of my time with this one.
Which model Pansh? they have made not so good and even bad models. Why would you spend time on or recommend a kite that you can't make money on and when you have plenty of demos in the shop?
Horst Sergio wrote: you can't tinker a garbage bag to a kite by tinkering on the bridle
Well lucky Pansh are not garbage bags then. But if you add a bridle to a garbage bag then it too can fly. It would appear from that it's 100% bridle and little to do with the kite lol. Half serious on that though. ROFL.

The fundamental problem with an old foil is the fabric will be stuffed or should I say holed. Then you truly will have a garbage bag and a leaky one at that!

Good luck finding a second hand beginner foil, most foils on the market are race kites and far from beginner kites. Pansh makes these second hand foils look expensive let alone the new ones.
Horst Sergio wrote: If you need even more independend impressions, just check who is flying Pansh kites and what those guyes are doing with them in real world (not the 100 pages in forums):
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pansh+kite
and who flies for example other cheap constructions, but serious by good riders developed kites and what they are doing with the kites in comparision:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ptair+kite
Amazing as it is but regular people with regular jobs kite on what they can afford, Pro riders with no jobs ride free kites paid for by the brands customers. Reseller riders ride their customers kites before they sell them to them. The biggest parasite is ? not the customer he is supporting everyone!

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:02 pm

foilholio wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:44 am
User resells Flysurfer and Ozone. Reseller recommends you don't buy Pansh... interesting? surprising? old game? lol.
Once again you are trying to put things into the wrong light, but to make it even more clear:

Horst Sergio is a private person and not kitejunkie.com
Kitejunkie.com does not sell lecca-lecca, ConceptAir kites or Sky paragliders, Brands Horst Sergio tested with private effort, owns and rides as he has always done as he prefers.

Owner of Kitejunkie.com is just a friend.

As many others, tired of this style of communciation, if you want to show, everybody is wrong and you are right, why not let pictures and videos speak, so everybody can see. Haven't seen anything in real world just many signs.

Don't sit around in the internet, but go kiting and have fun, as I now will do, Bye.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:32 pm

Oh it's a European thing then, Allah akbar my muslim friend!

VB705
Rare Poster
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot, BRM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby VB705 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The Soul seems like it may be an option for me. Doesn’t look like there are many used on the market though. I hear lots of good things about the Sonic 2 as well for light wind.

Still unsure of what to look for in a used kites as far as bridles. Not opposed to tinkering with things once I’m familiar with them.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Horst Sergio gave you some good guidance, but I would add the Chrono 2 to the no list for a beginner.

The Hyperlink is a good recommendation, but good luck finding one used Same goes for the new Flysurfer Soul. If you can afford new, those 2 kites are our top picks.

My top pick for a used kite would be a Speed 5 followed by the Speed 4 Lotus. The nice thing about both of these kites is that they offer excellent performance and stability. You can find them on the used market because many kiters are buying the Hyperlink or Soul and selling off their older kites.

Check Ikitesurf Classifieds.

You also might want to figure out what size you wish to buy. Figure a kite size smaller for a foil compared to an LEI, so if you are repacking a 12 LEI, a 10m foil is going to give you equivalent power.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:18 pm

Soul,
is a great and easy kite, but you wont get it used easily and price to value has to be evaluated in 1 or 2 years after seeing how long the light fabric withstands normal kiters use.

MINIMAbeta from lecca-lecca,
could also be an option if you are sure not to drop it too hard too often, as this is the only thing I am not so sure how much it can withstand, for normal use and price to value it could be even more solid than Soul, which is better in general for sure, but for a much higher price.

Sonic2,
is a great kite especially for light wind and my choice if I will have to build up in the water and or have to relaunch a lot like today. But it is in no case a first foil kite. It can be relaunch 98 % without swimming to the kite, but just if you know the 101 tricks with foil kite relaunches, otherwise as foilkite beginner it might be just 60 %, that's why you might find some sold used, when people have done the same mistake choosing it and had to swim in with them to often.

Chrono v2
as fernmanus said can also be too hard for the first foil kite.

Don't try to ride the coolest car, try to ride it the coolest way.

A friend is a super talent, does kiteloops with tubes at 8 m, jumps 15 m high with foil kites he is riding since 10 years and learned hydrofoil in less than one hour to full control.
He rides a Speed 4 Lotus and is very happy with it.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:22 pm

foilholio wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:21 am

Interesting review. I could ask why you didn't like the kite, but I can see the performance wasn't enough for you. Your original idea to shorten BC would have just made performance worse.
You might imagine I tried a few simple things to improve. Very easy to shorten C or Z using the Lecca Lecca inspired tuning rings. I did Speed 1 -> 1.5 and have put depower on some fixed bridle kites. The back weight mixer might get the kite to the point that it would interest me, or possibly a WAC line to improve steering forces. And the DIY project has some interest to me.

Hyperlink and Speed4 are so very good. When I look at the value of my time vs likely outcome tuning the Pansh is not even close. Especially because light wind is now hydrofoil time for me, when would I tune kites?

And this thread is for foil kite beginners, who might not even know what to search for in tuning a kite. In that regard, Pansh might be the worse recommendation of all.

I also have a 10m Speed4 lotus and some Speed4 DLX 8 and 10 I need to get around to listing for sale. Hyperlink 9 has better bodydrag stability in the light light wind I use these kites to hydrofoil. The Speeds I have are better TT jumpers with a faster turn and bigger boost when pulling the bar.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:26 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:58 pm
Horst Sergio gave you some good guidance, but I would add the Chrono 2 to the no list for a beginner.

The Hyperlink is a good recommendation, but good luck finding one used Same goes for the new Flysurfer Soul. If you can afford new, those 2 kites are our top picks.

My top pick for a used kite would be a Speed 5 followed by the Speed 4 Lotus. The nice thing about both of these kites is that they offer excellent performance and stability. You can find them on the used market because many kiters are buying the Hyperlink or Soul and selling off their older kites.

Check Ikitesurf Classifieds.

You also might want to figure out what size you wish to buy. Figure a kite size smaller for a foil compared to an LEI, so if you are repacking a 12 LEI, a 10m foil is going to give you equivalent power.
I cannot recommend speed5 for foiling. They are too heavy in their wind ranges. 6m is good and remains my high wind kite but i got rid of 9m and 12m and 15m. Loved them on tt but not foil....because they would fall out of the sky at the low end of their ranges and sit too far back in the window. Replaced all with sonic2 and R. They all rock.

Return to “Foil Kites”